Help ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

nero45

I got my beardie about 2-1/2 months ago. I came home today and took him out of his cage for the normal R&R and noticed that orange dots have developed on his belly. Nothing too large but it looks like he is leaking orange. please help ASAP thank you

Pleaides

Juvie Member
hello
do you have any heat rocks in his viv? because they could cause burns on their tummies.
is there any chance you could post us a picture so we could see better?

nero45

Original Poster
no there is no heat rocks. I did put calcium stuff on the crickets and when i put the crickets in the tank he went crazy trying to jump out and running around. For some reason Photobucket wont allow me to upload any pictures.

Pleaides

Juvie Member
erm ok photobucket is the only program i know of and use, i know there are others but wouldnt be able to name any. oh are you trying to upload numerous photos, if so maybe try one at a time?
are the marks actually orange or yellow? do they look like just marks or is it weeping? could you maybe google the symptoms and post a link so we could get an idea of what you mean?
could you answer some questions pls that will help perhaps to determine what this is?
how old is your dragon?how big is your dragon?
what substrate are you using?
what uv are you using?
do you have a bulb at all, if so what kind?
what supplements are you giving (brand names if you know) and how often?
what are you feeding him, including live food and veggies?

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
You can also use Tinypic.com for uploading photos. That is what I use, no membership or anything required. :D

Does the yellow stuff wash off or dose it look like part of his scales? look up Yellow Fungus/ Reptiles and see if it looks similar to what you are discribing. Also, please let us know what your temps are and how you are messuring the temps i.e. Digital termometer etc.

nero45

Original Poster
It almost looks like http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l7/noregretsmetal/Sequoia014.jpg with orange. Im using Ground Walnut Sheels as substrat. I have a heat lamp bulb and a UV one bothe from "Zilla" . Spike is about 12" from nose to tail. I put Natural Zone Total Bites gutloader in his cage with the crickets. He eats that sometimes. I feed him Superworms, crickets, carrots, lettuce.

The orange stuff actually washed off and came back. The temps are at 80-83 F using a digital thermometer.

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
Hi Nero~

Firstly, you need to get those walnut shells out of there. They will absoultly cause and impaction. You can use the following for a substrate: Repta carpet (looks like astro turf) Slate tiles (these are best for traction), other tiles, Paper towles. And if he is over 7 months you can use Washed play sand (NO OTHER SAND). If you use sand, do not dump crickets in to the tank to run around because then he can kick up the sand and ingest it. keep all food (including crickets) in dishes that can not get sand in it.

Second: Your temps need to be 100-105 in the basking area. The center of the tank should be around 90-98 and the cool end should be 75-80 deg. It sounds and sorta looks like you are growing mold in the tank. Get a humidity meter. The humity should be no higher than 70. You want it to be between 40 and 60.

Third: you need to be using a UVB lighting system such as MVB (Mercury vapor bulb or a repta sun 10.0 (not to be confussed with repta glo 10.0) Do not use coil lighting this can cause blindness. The lighting you have is not UVB which means eventully your guy can get medibolic bone deases from lack of Cal D3 defficency.

Once you get the temps regulated along with the humity this mold shoudl strat to go away. You can try using a medicated dissinfectant. I have heard of a certain type that is used for reptiles, but some one else will need to help me out with them name. (You can just use anything of course.)

I hope this helps!
Stacey

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What type of UVB light from Zilla are you using? A flourescent tube, a compact or coil? How close is it to him?
Could the walnut shell be staining him? It washed off then came back? What foods do you feed him, perhaps squash that he could have run through & it dried up? Just some ideas.
A picture would be helpful.

Tracie

Pleaides

Juvie Member
i agree with the above two posters.
i personally always recommend textured tiles. but everything stacey listed is fine i personally dont use sand for any aged dragon as i like them to run around and hunt for their foods so its not safe to do so with sand.
the basking definitely needs to be higher again with what stacey pointed out.
let us know how your getting on.
good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom