I'm at a loss. Suggestions please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeccaDawn

Ok, here's the story. I've had Pip since February. He was about a month or two when I got him I would say. Was fine the first few weeks, then had some struggles. He wouldn't eat. At all. Or even try. For about 3 months a fed him baby food through a syringe, then worked him up to pieces of crickets. Then all of a sudden it was like everything was ok. He's had a very healthy appetite since then. Until just recently. About 4 weeks ago he just started eating less. Not a big issue. But the amounts kept getting smaller. And he just didn't seem as active. I chalked it up to winter coming. But then one day I happened to look over just in time to see a drop of blood roll down his back. Took him out cleaned him up, it took forever for the bleeding to stop. He had a hole in his back the size of a bb pellet. Yes, I do keep the crickets in the cage. I took them out when he was younger, but has never seemed a problem. So, it seems like the sensible answer would be that a cricket bit him? But that big of a hole? Plus, the area around it seemed swollen. But he made it through that and I no longer keep the crickets in there. The scab is still there. I don't know how long that would take to heal...?

And still the non-eating continued. I would give him his bath and he would drink for probably 3 straight minutes. He won't even try to catch the crickets. If they walk by him he may turn his head, but it's only a half-hearted attempt. Oh, and did I mention that he as been keeping his mouth slightly open all the time. So, I would thunk a cricket and push it until his mouth and he would eat it then. I did this for a couple weeks. But then about a week ago I noticed that there is some kind of drool coming from his mouth. But it's like, sticky, for lack of better words. And when I would feed him his crickets he would spit it our 4 or 5 times before he could swallow it. And the drool is getting worse. Last night when I gave him a bath I could hardly wipe it off of him. And I couldn't get him to eat. It's like his tounge is too big for his mouth or the drool is too sticky, he just kept sticking his tounge out.

So there you have it. The owner at the pet store where I used to work suggested internal parasites...and that he'll probably not make it. Has anyone had any of these problems? Or does anyone have any suggestions? I would appreciate any help I could get. I have grown rather fond of Pip and hate to see him like this. If there are ways to help, I want to do it.

Thanks,
Rebecca

hi rebecca,

sorry to hear that pip is ill. i am new to the beardie world. i have had riddick for over a year and just got two females yesterday for his pleasure. but i can tell you that i too was upset when riddick fell sick. and the best thing i did was find a vet that tended to exoctic reptiles. the vet took xrays and found out that he had a respiratory infection. riddick would keep his mouth open had drool but also made some very weird noises.
take pip to a vet, it doesnt matter the cost, just that he gets better. the hardest part was fighting riddick to get him to take his meds by mouth via syringe. but otherwise its been over a year, and he has been great. he gets regular check ups like would a child to assure he is still doing fine. and thank god to date, hes doing great.

i hope pip gets better soon,
gina

BeccaDawn

Original Poster
I know this won't be taken very well, but I cannot afford to take him to the vet. I called around a few months ago and none of the vets here (very rural area) service reptiles.

Any other suggestions would be apprecited!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Could you review your husbandry with us please, it would help us alot.
What type & brand of UVB light are you using, is it a flourescent tube bulb or a compact or coil light? What type of basking light do you use? Is it a bright white light or a colored light?
What do you measure the temps with, & what are the temps?
Do you supplement with calcium? Since he is under 1 year, he needs calcium 5 times per week.
How long is your dragon & what is his weight?
What do his stools look like, are they runny or smelly? What about the urates, are they white, off colored, hard or moist?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom