sick dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayc

Hi there i need help. I have a sick bearded dragon. Hes been to the vet and has been treated for pin worms, tape worms, and pretty much any other parasite that you could imagine! Still unsure how he got alot of this stuff..i know some came from the breeders. I cleaned his cage every day since i had him, gave him a bath a couple times a week and so on. All the parasited are gone and he's still not eating. He wont eat any veggies or his superworms..any suggestions?

haleygirl272

Sub-Adult Member
:wave: HI there! First of all, welcome to Beardeddragon.org!!!

I'm sorry to hear your baby is sick. :( Ok, first of all, we need to check your husbandry.

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bath your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? (obviously you have, but still need to check!)

jayc

Original Poster
Hi there..ok here we go. My dragon is 1year and 4 months. Ive had him for around 6 months so far. Right now he's about 20 inches long. He lives in a 40 gallon tank by himself and is on sterile childrens play sand. I first got him in May, and it wasnt till sep when i realized maybe i wasnt giving him enough uvb ( he was only getting 2 26w coil uvb lights, a moon glo that i used for a 24 hour cycle and a 100 watt tight beam). The temps ranged from 75 to 80 in the cool and around 95 at the basking. He had a log where he could climb up higher to the light. Since september, i've had 3 26 watt coil uvb and a 125 watt uvb/uva sun glo basking light. Coil lights are 6 months old and the sunglo is around 2 months old. He still has his log to climb up close( except for the last month where i had to strip the tank to just newspaper because of the parasites). I have exoterra thermometers ( the ones that stick in the tank) Temps are still the same..and i have a heating pad under the basking area. No heating rock. Ever since ive had him, he's hardly ever ate his salad. He's only wanted to eat superworms. I feed him a mix of romaine and endive, also tryed dandelion leaves. Mixed frozen veggies( thawed). Tryed green and red pepper as well. I would dust the worms 3-4 times a week(when he was eating them) with zoo med reptive multi vitamin( i didnt know i needed a separate calcium dust as well). When i first got him i would feed him salad in the mornings and worms when i got home from work(around 4-5pm). Now i still give him salad every morning(which he still doesnt eat) and i try to give him worms in am and pm(just hoping he'll eat something). Just bought rep-cal calcuim powder, but right now he's getting liquid calcium that i got from the vet(getting daily). When he was eating he pooped every 3 to 4 days. When he had his parasites i gave him a bath almost daily, but before when i didnt know about the problem he would get a bath every week and misted daily. He's been doing better since he's seen the vet. Since he's been to vet he's been treated for everything and has been getting baby food and well as water through a syringe. I stopped the baby food when the parasites where gone, but he just doesnt want to eat on his own.

haleygirl272

Sub-Adult Member
Baby food is a good idea for eating strike beardies! :twisted:

Ok, a few things I noticed.
You use play sand. I don't recommend this. I reccomend (for sand) reptile sand. NO CALCI-SAND!! I reccomend also, for not sand, reptile tile, paper towels, or newspaper. NO REPTILE CARPET!
She needs to be upgraded to a 55-75 gallon tank.
Coil lights are very bad. I reccomend the repti-sun 10.0 UVB tube.
Please don't use the moon-glo. It does nothing and interrupts sleep patterns, thus, tiring them out.
Ditch the heat pad. It doesn't do anything as they have no nerves on their bellies. Good job on no heat rock! It's a common mistake! :wink:

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
Coil lighting causes all sorts of problems, from vision problems to abnormal eating. Aside from the parasites that is.

You can also use a Mercury Vapor blub such as a Exoterra Solor Glo 125 watt for your size tank. Be careful about what types of sand substrate you use even though they maybe for reptiles, I have heard many problems with different brands aside from the Cali sand (which is really bad). I have been told there is a certain type of Reptial sand that I believe was developed by exoterra?? (I maybe wrong on the brand :? ) Made for BD's because of thier burrowing habits, well the stuff gets hard little rock like clumps when wet that BD's can accidentally ingest and have chocked on the pieces. I am not familiar with the above mentioned reptile sand, but washed play sand is the most recommended varity suggest on this site (when using a sand at the proper age) and is also recommended from the Herp Society. I think your sand is ok for now as long as you are keeping his food out of the sand, and are putting everything that is eaten in bowls including crickets etc. I never let Judah chase his food around to kick up dirt and possibly ingest it. Your Dragon is old enough to be in the washed play sand.

Once you try switching the lighting out try some other types of veggies. Check out this list at beautifuldragons.com. Some times they can be very picky. One day they'll love something, the next won't touch it. As mentioned try some Organic babyfoods like squash, carrots, peas. I might also recommend that you add a little probiotic to the babyfood. You can buy them at any health food store, they come in capsules so you can pull the capsule apart and add a smidge to the Baby syringe with the food. Also The BD web site has acidophiliz+ it maybe less expensive. This will help with intestinal health, but the temps are most important for intestinal health!

I suspect that the lighting is the main source of your eating problems. Also, you may want to get your basking temps up just a little they should be 100-105. If you need a night time heater get a ceramic heater and as mentioned above lose the Night time glo bulb.

Also, with getting the temps up your guy should be pooping everyday. Every few days is prolly due to temps (and well oh yeah the parasites) I'd Change the bulbs and get the heat up and try the babyfoods and see what happens. Let us know how this works!

haleygirl272

Sub-Adult Member
Judah'sHuman":58df8 said:
Coil lighting causes all sorts of problems, from vision problems to abnormal eating. Aside from the parasites that is.

You can also use a Mercury Vapor blub such as a Exoterra Solor Glo 125 watt for your size tank. Be careful about what types of sand substrate you use even though they maybe for reptiles, I have heard many problems with different brands aside from the Cali sand (which is really bad). I have been told there is a certain type of Reptial sand that I believe was developed by exoterra?? (I maybe wrong on the brand :? ) Made for BD's because of thier burrowing habits, well the stuff gets hard little rock like clumps when wet that BD's can accidentally ingest and have chocked on the pieces. I am not familiar with the above mentioned reptile sand, but washed play sand is the most recommended varity suggest on this site (when using a sand at the proper age) and is also recommended from the Herp Society. I think your sand is ok for now as long as you are keeping his food out of the sand, and are putting everything that is eaten in bowls including crickets etc. I never let Judah chase his food around to kick up dirt and possibly ingest it. Your Dragon is old enough to be in the washed play sand.

Once you try switching the lighting out try some other types of veggies. Check out this list at beautifuldragons.com. Some times they can be very picky. One day they'll love something, the next won't touch it. As mentioned try some Organic babyfoods like squash, carrots, peas. I might also recommend that you add a little probiotic to the babyfood. You can buy them at any health food store, they come in capsules so you can pull the capsule apart and add a smidge to the Baby syringe with the food. Also The BD web site has acidophiliz+ it maybe less expensive. This will help with intestinal health, but the temps are most important for intestinal health!

I suspect that the lighting is the main source of your eating problems. Also, you may want to get your basking temps up just a little they should be 100-105. If you need a night time heater get a ceramic heater and as mentioned above lose the Night time glo bulb.

Also, with getting the temps up your guy should be pooping everyday. Every few days is prolly due to temps (and well oh yeah the parasites) I'd Change the bulbs and get the heat up and try the babyfoods and see what happens. Let us know how this works!

You said it! Although I do not believe in using playsand. People have different beliefs!

jayc

Original Poster
I'll do my best but im a full time student..so money is kinda tight. Where can i get a cheap light fixture that will hold the reptile glo 10.0 tubes?

jayc

Original Poster
Right now im using reptile glo 10.0 compact coil style lights. Why are these so different then the tube style..and why are they worse for my dragon?

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
The compact coil bulbs give off Sporadic and Inconsistent levels of UVA & UVB so the levels can spike. Imagine you were sitting outside of the stratosphere watching the suns solar flares all the time with out sunglasses, eventually your eyes will burn up from all the radiation. Also the radiation levels it gives off spike and cause internal damage over time.

I have used Reptilesupply.com they seem to have pretty good prices, ive compaired with a few other places. Also check Craigs list offten, they soemtimes may have what you need for supplies that peps are selling

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
how long have you had your lighting? Can you return it and get your money back? Most places are pretty good about that even if you ahve had it for a few months

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great job with helping the OP, Judah'sHuman.
I just had a few things to add. As already suggested, please do not use ANY compacts or coils for UVB. They are the worst ones you can use. They give off low wavelength of UVB emissions, & some are terribly dangerous to reptiles' eyes. Also, the glare that they put off really irritates their eyes if enough bright white light is not used to accompany them in the tank.
The best UVB flourescent tube that you can get here in the US is the Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb. Make sure to get the correct flourescent tube fixture so that the tube will fit in the fixture. You can get most traditional sized fixtures at Home Depot or Lowes pretty easily.
Place the bright white light directly beside the UVB tube bulb, allowing your dragon to have a focused basking spot which will give him UVB right along with his heating which will create the perfect basking area for him.

Good job getting everything all fixed up for him. How is his appetite coming along?

Tracie

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
Thanks Tracie!

Jayc, Even if you can not afford the proper UV lighting right now, you should get those compact bulbs out of there immediatly. For now even using houshold bulbs and a hallogen AS a spot for a week or so will prolly help him. 60 watt bulbs can produce alot of warmth. Of course this is just a temporary solution, but before any damage is done, remove those things. Also, if you have an open top and your having trouble with your heat you can place some plywood over the top to help hold the heat in. My enclosuer had a wood top with a small screened portion for the MVB and the Ceramic heater, with a 60 watt bulb at one end that hangs inside of the tank. (I have it in the corner where he cant reach it and burn himself.) With that 60 watt at the end it can get up to 85 and over (on the cool end), so I have to keep a crack open so that it doesnt get too hot. So several of these and using wood, will keep it pretty warm and have plenty of light untill you can get the proper lighting.

jayc

Original Poster
Thanks. I took the coil lights out and replaced it with a regular 60 watt light bulb. At the hot end i have my 125 solarglo uva/uvb...does that give off enough uvb for him?

jayc

Original Poster
One more thing..i have the 60 watt bulb sitting on the screen top under a log where he likes to climb up. He'll be 6-7 inches away from the bulb. Is that too close?

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
Oh ok so you do have a Merc Vapor Bulb then, The 125 watt Solor Glo from Exoterra? If that is so then yes this is just perfect! You dont need any other uvb lighting. And as long as he cant touch the 60 watt regular bulb it should be just fine. Just keep an eye on the temps in the area with your termo probe and make sure that it doesn't get any higher than 110 (thats pretty hot) Preferable youd want that area around 105 ish. The area that you have the Solor Glo you wana keep him 12" away from that because of the UV rays. I just have the solor glo in the basking area and then a 60 watt bulb on the other end so that ther is lots of light. Eventually you can get a UVA floresent tube that does not have any UVB. These type of bulbs do not emit any heat so they are safe, just makes the tank well lit with more "sunlight". So you wont need to get a Reptasun 10.0 if you have a Merc bulb already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom