Brumation or Dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vxironwoman

I have had my beardie for over 8 years. Godzilla's (that's my beardies name) whole life basically. I rescued 'zilla from my neighbors who were starving their 5 beardies because they didn't know how to care for them. I have just recently moved to Chicago, IL from Southern Cali, and I have NEVER ever seen 'zilla do this. He is basically catatonic. His light is the same it's always been, as is his food and water. The only change is I got his crickets from a different store recently. I put the crickets in the cage and all but about 3 died, I assume he ate the rest. And only one poop. Is this that brumation I keep reading about? He has never gone through this before? I picked him up this morning and he was very lethargic, so I went to give him a warm bath to wake him (nothing), I went to put him in the sun (nothing), I ended up finding him on his side sort of dazed (he fell off the chair, which he has done before, but it's not that far of a fall).

I have attached a video link of his current state...

http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/vxirnmnfan/?action=view&current=MVI_5643.flv

He is breathing fairly slow, and I force fed him pureed veggies and water with a syringe to make sure he's ok on at least that part. Now he is resting on my bed on top of a heating pad, still not very responsive though.

Please help.

Cece

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
The only thing I suggest is to find a vet that specializes in reptiles and get a fecal and exam done. If he is brumating, nothing you do will stop it. Read the article about brumation (link is on the front page) that will help. The symptoms of brumation and illness are very much the same. The only difference is that if they are ill or have parasites, they will loose a LOT of weight. That's the reason to get those exams done.

Vxironwoman

Original Poster
Godzilla went pale white last night with a very black beard. I took him to the emergency vet this afternoon, but he didn't make it. They said he looked slightly dehydrated, but that is all they could say. Who knows what could have happened... I feel awful, but I made him as comfortable as I could. He is in a better place now.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

OMG, I am so sorry! How long had you been in Chicago when this happened? It must have been liver or kidney failure. I know this is so devastating. :cry:

Tracie

Vxironwoman

Original Poster
We moved here last Sept. But this was his first changing of the seasons from fall to winter. And it was quite drastic for me too. Poor guy.

In California, his tank was basically in the window sill and all I provided was heat. He got all the rays he needed from natural sunlight. Which is how we both liked it. I took him on walks with my dog when the weather was good. He would sit on my shoulder with his eyes closed in complete relaxation. He would get along with everyone. He was more of a pet than my cat. He loved to be given attention. I would get woken up in the morining to him scratching at the door of his cage, saying "hey let me out, I wanna watch a movie."

When we moved out here, I had to give him artificial light and supplements. He seemed to miss the walks. He loved the few he did get to go on out here. Because he was a rescue, it seems even more difficult to say goodbye. Though I would have liked to find out what exactly happened, I don't want an autopsy.

Sorry for reminiscing, but this is the only place people understand my loss. I've actually been laughed at because I was upset "over a lizard". Thank you for your support. This seems to be a good group of people on here, I think I may just stick around. Though i am not sure if I am ready to take on another BD right now, unless it truly needs a home. But my door is always open. Thanks again for being so supportive.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You are welcome to talk about Godzilla as often as you would like here. We wont laugh at you. Most people simply do not understand how it feels to lose a dragon, & have never bonded with one before. Until they do, they will not understand. They are the ones who are missing out.
If he was a rescue, that has to be extremely difficult for sure. There is no telling what happened, perhaps just organ failure, but without further analysis it is quite impossible to know. I can't blame you for not wanting to get an autopsy though, just let him rest in peace then.
I am sorry for your loss & your sorrow, I do understand.

We are here for you if you need to talk.

Tracie

CoopersGrandma

Juvie Member
so sorry about your loss , i love this site too , joined when cooper came into our lives and added plato who we just lost , he wasn't a beardie but people have been so kind just the same and we only had him a short while . again so sorry for your loss .

atreyu917

Juvie Member
I am so, so sorry for your loss. At least his 8 years with you were amazing, you gave him the opportunity to know what a real life is. I know that doesn't help very much...only time will. Feel better soon, you're in my prayers.

I'm sorry no one is really being understanding though, no one in my offline world probably will either. But I understand the hurt, and I'm sorry again.

msmaui

Juvie Member
I am soooo sorry for you. I'm crying after reading your post. I have a 4 1/2 year old dragon that has been sick for a month and I'm doing everthing I know of for him. I know exactly how upset you are. God bless you and Zilla.

haleygirl272

Sub-Adult Member
I have lost a dragon and new gow hard it is. I understand people being cruel. I told my friends, with tears in my eyes, that my baby Peakin died. They simply chuckled and said, "You mean that lizard?"

I totally get it. We will support you 110%. :cry: I'm sure Zilla knows you did all you could. He'll always be with you in your heart, mind, and soul. May he rest in peace.

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
Awww, I'm so sorry to hear he didn't make it. Folks here really do understand. I hope you find a compasionate friend there to help you grieve. :cry:

I can't patch it over but if someone else will you may find comfort in a little poem called the Rainbow bridge. I can't seem to get my computer to co-operate.

Sandy H

haleygirl272

Sub-Adult Member
protiemama":2ee0b said:
Awww, I'm so sorry to hear he didn't make it. Folks here really do understand. I hope you find a compasionate friend there to help you grieve. :cry:

I can't patch it over but if someone else will you may find comfort in a little poem called the Rainbow bridge. I can't seem to get my computer to co-operate.

Sandy H

I literally JUST read it. I'll go find it... BTW it was beautiful! About made me cry!

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Kazul

Haley> Heh, you beat me to it.

Anyways, I'm sorry to hear about your beardie passing. Like I posted in Jasper's thread, my Gramma had a saying she'd always tell me when someone or something I cared for died:

"Everyone and every creature is a flower in the Lord's garden. At one point, there is a time where everyone and every creature become the most beautiful in His garden and are picked to enter His house and decorate it because this is so."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom