Lethargic dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

(b)dragon tamer

Hatchling Member
My beardie Liza has been sluggish most of her life, and is about 1 1/4 years old. I feed her superworms because she wont eat crickets (wont chase), lettuce, peas, mealworms, fruits (but she won't eat them). Her temps are right. She has good hides and basking areas. She has a water dish. I spray her with water once and a while. I hold her every day for at least 30 mins (mostly at least an hour). When i take her out, 9 out of 10 times she'll just hide or sleep on me. Her tank is 36x18 inches and she is about a foot and a half and (ill find out her weight). I doubt she is brumating because she does it often, and im not sure if she's going to lay eggs because she has been doing this for a while, but i do feel something like eggs in her stomach.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

At 1 1/4 years old, she needs only around 40-50 feeders weekly. However, if you are primarily feeding superworms, they are a very well balance food. As staples, they comprise a good amount of fat & protein making it perfect to only have to feed around 25-30 at the most, per week for an adult. It is not recommended to feed mealies on a regular basis as they are too fatty & not very nutritious, overall.
The rest of the foods should comprise of greens & veggies.
Do you have a UVB light? If so, is it a flourescent tube bulb, or a compact or coil light? How old is your UVB light?
What type of basking light are you using, is it a bright white light or a colored light?
What are your temps, & how do you measure them?
Do you supplement calcium at all, & if so, how often?

Tracie

(b)dragon tamer

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
My UVB light is a Slimline Reptile Fixture With Super UV T-8 fluorescent lamp included.
I have a bright white basking light.
Last time i checked the temps it went up to 120 and down to 80 using a digital thermometer. Ill check again and post it ASAP when i replace the battery.
Im just starting to use calcium supplement again, and i did when she was a baby.
Just incase it helps, I used to primarily feed her mealies, and as a baby, I fed her crickets. She won't eat crickets anymore.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, the Slimline flourescent tube light is an ESU which is not really a good UVB light. I recommend the Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb, for a much better UVB light.
Also, the temps of 120 for basking are way too high, which over time, keeping them at too high of temps can cause chronic dehydration & possible organ problems, too. Their recommended basking temps are 95-110 & 78-82 on the cooler end.
What do the urates look like, are they white or off colored? Are they moist or hard?
I would begin some oral fluids daily, roughly 2-3 ml's, to get her hydrated as well as daily baths to help her out.
Are her eyes bright or are they sunken in at all?
So you are feeding mainly mealies now, is that correct?
You do need to be using calcium 3 times per week for an adult. She could be hypocalcemic due to not getting enough calcium on a regular basis as well as not having a strong enough UVB light too.

Tracie

(b)dragon tamer

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok, it'll be easy to switch the basking temps, all i have to do it move my light slightly over. I will use a syringe to give her water to get her to urinate. Her eyes are normal. Now i am mainly feeding superworms with calcium on them. I will also give her baths. I own an R-Zilla 12 watt "T5 MP" UVB light also. (thats what it says on the light itself). It is broken, but if i get it fixed would that be a legitimate UVB light?

MALIBUSMOM

Gray-bearded Member
I believe the reptisun will fit.I don't know that you need both.what size is you viv size?i would try to get some horn worms or supers soak her in a warm bath
is she pooping?& do every thing that drach said.If you can get her to avet i would a/s/a/p if you go the reptisun route all you will need is a clamp lamp w/
a household daylight bub for heat beside the uvb depending on your viv size 40watt 60watt usually produce enough heat.
I ordered a megaray which is both uvb & heat it goes for about $40.00 malibu eats like crazy since the switch.I have a 70gallon viv. she is about 16 or 17
inches from the light ontop of viv.
I hope this helps alittle.best of luck.Cindy
Tracy really knows best!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom