my dragon has pooped something that looks just like a grape

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonny

there is a grape-like sac attached to my dragons back end. he was having one of his quite wet ans messy bowel movements but also has this sac. it looks as if he is trying to pass it and we do not know what we should be doing for it if anything...can someone please help? it is sunday evening and all of the pet stores around here are closed. i would like to give it relief tonight if possible

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
Mine did something like that once and it was part of his insides. It's hard to explain. I would rinse his bottom really good and if it doesn't come off, leave it alone.

sonny

Original Poster
thank you for your reply sunkist. i am currently letting it soak in a couple inches of warm water. it seemed to prove relaxing but the obstruction is still attached toits rear end...

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
Run water over it, not just soak.

Mine's looked like a clear grape sorta. I actually pulled on it then I realize it was part of it's inside so DON'T DO THIS... hehehe... you can slightly rub it and see if it will come up. JUST SLIGHTLY. If it doesn't just put him back in his tank and it will probably go back inside. This happened probably 1.5 weeks ago for me.

augustwst

That happened to my female beardie while I was at work for 12 hrs. By the time I got home, she had dragged it around the tank and ripped it apart. I took her to the emergency vet, she had prolapsed her rectum. It could not be put back in because it was too late. She was put to sleep.

I would call someone if I were you, is there any blood?

sonny

Original Poster
very small dots of blood. it is letting us pick it up and seems less irritated than it does when it sheds.

sonny

Original Poster
okay so when u say rinse it, how do u mean? pick it up and run water on the sac? will I distress my dragon doing that?

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
It could be a prolapse. If it is, you need to disolve some sugar in warm water then add cool water then soak him in it. This is supposed to make it go back inside, if it doesn't a vet visit is in order. Just make sure you get to an experience reptile vet.

sonny

Original Poster
102608_2056a.jpg

thank you.

sonny

Original Poster
i have sonny soaking in the mixture right now. we dont use sand in the cage, we use paper towel. i have a big rock in there, a slate that sonnt likes to lay and bask on and a piece of wood that i baked with green fake plants wrapped around it. we feed him fresh fruit and veggies mostly and crickets that i cover in calcium. i took a picture and uploaded it...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You need to get some sugar & dissolve it in some warm water first. Then, add some cool water & soak your dragon in that. The sugar should help to take some of the swelling down.
Next, please get him to a vet as soon as you can. If you need help, try going to http://www.herpvetconnection.com
Now, we need to go over why he had a prolapse. Does he have proper UVB lighting, temperatures, calcium supplementation, etc?
Please let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

sonny

Original Poster
tracie, thanks for your help. I have been soaking sonny in the sugar/water solution, just did it again this morning before work. I have owned sonny since it was a baby and for going on four years now. I have him in a 29 gallon aquarium, with a heat lamp(75w) and a calcium light. I also have a heater on the bottom of the tank.(the small one you stick on).
we feed sonny alot of fruits and veggies and crickets dusted with calcuim. no change in diets for four years. once in a while i get him some wax worms.
I do not know how this happened. we give him good care and lots of love. i read up on prolapse til 1:30a and i do have fake greens in his habitat and have no idea where he would have got parasites since we dont use sand and change his paper towel often...
my problem now is i cannot afford the cost of a vet due to loss of income. what do you suggest?

culbert9

My beardie is going through the same thing. I cannot take him to the vet because I do not have a car and the nearest one is about 1 and 1/2 miles away. I bathed him in warm water and im going to try the sugar thing when he cools down.

Is this fixable, or if/when i get the grape shaped thing back into him is he still going to have problems. Is the vet the only answer?

sonny

Original Poster
i did speak to a vet. he said the main thing is to keep the sac moist. told me to use ky jelly. do not let the sac dry up. but to soak in the sugar water bath so the sac will shrink enough to retract back into the bd. i still need to take him in to find out why he is prolapsing. there is some kind of parasite ot obstruction, neither of which is good for him. it needs to be corrected either by meds or surgery. thank you everyone out there for the response. you all knew what to do and now i am better educated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom