my dragon has pooped something that looks just like a grape

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonny

Original Poster
hi e1. sonny is back home but the prognosis isnt great. i found a veet close by who is able to care for exotic animals--not all vets can. she was reasonable and went easy on me when i explained my situation. she could not tell if the prolapse was the bladder or the intestine but either way was out of the body too long and was way too extended. she got it back in and gave him a stitch but said it may get toxic and he may still die from infection cause it was out of the body for so long (over 24 hours but less than 48 is too long). i cannot get its mouth open to hand feed it with a srynge. so sonny is not eating or drinking...how do i get his mouth open?. he just lays there....i have to give him a shot a day til friday(that only mad sonny mad). so tomorrow i guess i will try to feed him BEFORE i give the shot...sonny is still with us but the next few days are crucial. if i could get some food and liquids in him it would help. i tried to rub his mouth with water. he is locked up tight as a clam...

sonny

Original Poster
the vet could not tell what exactly caused the prolapse but sonny was near dead when i finally got him there and she told me she may have to put him down anyway but she felt she needed to at least try. she said that the prolapse is very painful so anyone out there experiencing this please go to a vet. they will work with you.

culbert9

yea i went to the vet today and have a appointment for 3:30.

That is terrible news sonny. I feel for you and thank you for the advice. I am now worried for my beardie because we were both in the same situation with money and tried the same thing in trying to keep it moist and letting in naturally fix itself but it has not.

As for your problem I would just constantly give him the access to food and water. make sure you have many fresh greens present or maybe offer something that he really enjoys like waxworks or crickets. I know my BD loves wax worms (even though there not the healthiest thing) its better than nothing.

Sorry i couldnt be more of a help

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
With the beardie I lost, I had to pry open his mouth with my finger nail and slide the syringe in. You might need someone there to provide the quick slide in. Not easy to do with one person.

I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers. I'm glad you at least got him fixed a little bit.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh well I am happy that you got him to a vet. That is all you can do right now. Just keep him comfortable as much as you can. Keep him as calm as you can.
To try & get food into him, you will have to keep trying to get him to lick some food off of his nose. If you can get a finger nail or maybe a swab to the side of his mouth so he will open it, that can help.
Please let us know about how he is doing.

Tracie

culbert9

Hey guys
Well I did it. Im in debt now but i took my beardie to a vet and if i could go back in time I would do it again. He's back now, still not eating just alot of sleeping but he dosent have intestines hanging out of him and hopefully he regains his appetite soon. I have a checkup for him at the vet on saturday so if he does not eat by then ill be sure to mention that to them. The vet was great and real helpful with questions.

I just wanted to mention how greatfull I am for everybody on this website. I would not have taken him to the vet if it wasent for you people giving me advise and all the advise you gave me was great and probably saved my beardie's life. For all the people who say that technology and internet are bringing down the world this is living proof that it is one of the best invention ever. Even if my guy does'nt make it, I am still happy i brought him to the vet to give him a chance. I cannot say thank you enough to you guys! I was skeptic at first but the vet confimed it, and you guys really know what your talking about and I will not hesitate with asking any questions on this forum from this point on!

sonny

Original Poster
wtg culbert!!! same with sonny. only i have to give him and injection every morning until tomorrow(third one this morning--i am a pro now but boy does he get mad) i have to also pry his mouth open to give him antibiotics and also that is how we are feeding him right now because he is also not eating and doing alot sleeping. i am glad he is ok. my vet gave me a srynge and told me to go get gerber baby food,chicken for protein and squash or sweet potatoes and feed him like that right now. easy to digest and less chance of prolapsing again when he has to have a bowel movement. good luck to you and your bd!!! sonny did look a little more alert today so my hopes are up for a full recovery. but we are still not out of the woods yet. need to take him back tomorrow for stitch removal and check up.

sonny

Original Poster
also, just so you all dont think i am doing this single handedly cause it is not possible, this has become a family thing for me and my two sons. yes, we need the third person for this feat and it so happens my youngest son is the one who has the most patience and is the least fearless of getting bit or snapped at during these tough times for sonny. one son holds him, one son pries his mouth open and i administer the meds and food...its working out. the most important thing is getting it done.

culbert9

Yea i think im going to have to force feed mine aswell. I am doing this single handedly but i think my guy will be a bit easier because when i try to feed him he open his mouth and hisses at me. so im gonna take my food put it in a blender and feed him that way

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
I'm sooo glad both the beardies got to the vet and are being taken care of!!!! It's amazing what we do for our animals!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Thats good news guys.I am very happt to hear you both got them the help the needed and they will be in my prayers for a speedy recovery.Please keep us posted and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Vicky

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

Oh I hope that he makes it through this for you. Thank you for giving him that chance of survival, even though I realize the cost of it.
GREAT the vet recommended the babyfood, that is correct. Good luck with getting the food, fluids & meds administered carefully. I am glad you have help then.
If he makes it through all of this, we need to discuss your tank setup & why he did prolapse so he does not prolapse again. Sometimes, if they prolapse, they are prone to do it again because of weakened abdominal muscles or intestinal muscles. Do you use calcium on a regular basis too?

Keep us posted.

Tracie

sonny

Original Poster
well i took sonny for his check up this morning. my vet(who is wonderful)was extremely happy and surprised to see sonny had actually perked up and was doing better. she hyrdrated him again while i was there but decided that since he was improving to leave stitch in until monday night. she did not know exactly why the prolapse occured so she had me kick up the heat in his cage, treated him as if he had parasites. if it was a blockage he would have not recovered was her theory and major surgery would have been the next step or to put him down. she was thrilled the course of action we took was the correct one so far. he was really perky today but not eating by himself yet. i tol her about this sight. you guys here are awesome and thank you all so much. tracie, i have sonny in a 29 gallon aquarium tank. i use paper towel on the bottom--no sand. i have a wood/rock thing with a slab of slate on it so he can climb up to the heat lamp. i have a heat pad(small one)stuck to bottom outside of tank. since sonny has gotten sick, i have added my heating pad under there-much stronger and larger to heat that bottom cuz that is where he i laying for now. i think the slate is too cold...i am thinking to invest when i am able another heat lamp.

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
I'm sooo glad he's looking better. You can just put a regular desk type lamp to help heat for now. As long as you have the UVB going, a regular lightbulb can help crank up the heat in the tank.

culbert9

Well my beardie is much MUCH better. Two days after the surgery he's moving around, eating on his own (although no veggies yet only crickets) but has not pooped yet. I am so relieved in the recovery i just hope it continues

On the topic of sonny, I'm extremely happy that sonny is better for i couldn't imagine if mine went through the surgery and didnt get well. But on the topic of not eating on his own, have you tried the food he likes? My beardie is only eating crickets right now so i just spice the crickets up with calcium and hopefully he will take in some greens soon.

This was kind of a wake up call for me too. From here on I am going to make sure my beardies cage is clean and that A-jax eats a good and healthy diet EVERYDAY! I do not want to go through this depression and stress that I have been going through for the past 6 or 7 days again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom