Beardie hasn't pooped in 1 1/2 weeks...:-/

Status
Not open for further replies.

twuquart

Ok. so my beardie Yoshi hasn't pooped in a week and a half. Here's the history behind this:
About a month ago, I started noticing that there were still whole phoenix worms in his poop. About a week after this, he pooped, it was semi runny, and there was a live worm in it. I almost rushed him to the vet, but since the closest vet is 80 miles away, I decided to wait for a little while and see if this continued. I connected this problem with the temperature drop outside, and consequently inside the house, and consequently, in his cage. So I upped his basking temp from around 99*F to around 105-110*F. I also dropped back how many worms I was feeding him from 25 to only 15 twice per day. This seemed to take care of the problem, next poop was normal, normal urates, no worms in it. That was almost two weeks ago, and he still hasnt pooped! Let me just say, that since I bought him, he has never pooped every day. Its always been about twice a week, so possibly it isn't as bad as it sounds. But I'm still worried as to where he is putting all those worms! His basking temps are staying around 110 (he is only about 6 months old) he has NEVER refused to eat. In fact, when I stop dropping worms in for him, he gets the most sad expression on his face, like "What, that's all?" He is still extremely active (i mean, relative to beardie standards) and I have felt around on his stomach and cant feel any lumps or hard spots. He doesn't look bloated, there's no signs of impaction as far as back leg weakness, etc. His substrate is repticarpet, so theres no impaction risk there. he only eats phoenix worms, which are wonderfully soft (he also has available to him, mustard greens and bearded dragon pellets, which he usually eats both, and still does, hes a little piglet). Usually, i could tell when he was about to have to poop because he would actually look fat, now he doesnt. I was wondering if there was a possibility (sorry this is going to be gross) that he could have eaten it? I just don't see how he could be acting normal, eating better than ever and be impacted or sick. I know beardies hide symptoms well, but there are just NO symptoms to be seen. I have also been giving him regular warm baths and massaging his tummy in hopes of getting things moving. im about to break out the baby food and oil. I also thought maybe it could be brumination? But i thought he would slow down eating too...anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated. I would really like the vet to be a last resort if possible because it is so far away, and Yoshi doenst like the car. I dont want to unecessarily stress him out, if i can fix things here. Also, Not that i wouldnt spend the money if needed, but im a poor college student, so ANY ideas you have...please help. Thanks in advance.
-Courtney

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
is he not pooping, or is he trying to poop but just cant?

when my LG was constipated all he could get out was alittle liquid. i gave him a dab of applesauce with 1 drop of extra virgin olive oil. he licked a couple spots of that off of his nose before wiggling away in an irritated manner. i gave him a few drops of water to wash the taste down and then waited. the next day i woke up and went straight to his cage; he had passed one humungous poop and now seemed happier than ever :mrgreen: .

that has happened on a couple occasions(some crickets alittle too big) and it works wonders each time. im sure the babyfood and oil thing works just as well :wink: .

i hope everything works out for you, ill check in later to see how things are going.

twuquart

Original Poster
I haven't noticed him trying to poop. I think im definately going to try the oil thing tonight to see what happens. the applesauce was a good idea. I just don't want him to be silently suffering. Ill try that tonight and keep you posted on what happens. Thanks for your help. :)

twuquart

Original Poster
********************UPDATE***********************
Thank you so much jscott for your reply. The applesauce and mineral oil did the trick. I think the poor dragon lost about half his body weight when he passed that HUGE poo. but he seems SO much happier. His stress marks lightened up and he immediately started glass dancing wanting out to play. wfew, im glad that is all taken care of. Oh, and he LOVED the applesauce, I may give it VERY sparingly as a treat. :) silly dragons. thanks again.
-Courtney

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
hello, glad things are ok now. that applesauce and e.v.o.o. really does the trick eh :wink: ?

twuquart

Original Poster
yeah I totally couldn't believe such a huge amount of...ahem....stuff came out of such small creature. He bearded up at my husband as he was holding him and I was trying to get the oily applesauce down his throat. It was quite comical. Poor guy thinks if he puffs up he's even the least bit intimidating. I eventually drenched some phoenix worm in the applesauce mixture and as he tried to lick them to pick them up he inadvertantly licked up the oil. Anyways it was an experience but I'm glad all is well again. Thanks again for your help. :) -courtney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom