Very sick baby berdie

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's great that your husband went to get another thermometer. Just to be sure, it does have a long wire with a probe end, right? If so, I wanted to explain just how to get the temps. If you have one that gives 2 readings an "in" and "out" you would lay the probe end so that it is resting on the basking surface with the thermometer part sitting right on the cool side. Wait about 45 min for the temp to stop rising and then the "out" reading would be for the basking side & the "in" for the cool side. If the thermometer has a probe end but only gives one reading, then you would have to wait about 45 min to get the basking temp with the probe laying on the basking surface, then you would need to move the probe end to the cool side and wait another 45 min for the temp to stop moving there before you get the final reading on that side.
So you're using one 100 watt basking bulb on the basking side and that's all? If so, I'll bet the temps are too cool. You mentioned that your tank is 5 ft x 4 ft, does that mean that it is 60" long by 48" wide? How tall is it? I'm trying to help you figure out what would be the wattage of the bulbs you'll need to get a basking temp of a little over 100 and a cool side of about 80. He may be only staying on the basking side because he isn't warm enough there and the cool side is too cool. You may have to use either 2 basking bulbs & a lower wattage one on the cool side or a 150 watt bulb on the basking side. Let's wait and see what temps you get from the new thermometer first. Let me know & I can help you make adjustments.

That's good that he got the aloe & that he ate 2 crickets. So, he got a ceramic heat emitter too, that's great, what wattage did he find? You've made some great changes already. :wink:

opie7377

Original Poster
Well we got the light and everything put in and now he's eating like crazy! He still isnt moving around so much-but Im really worried about his tail-its getting higher up and it feels like it could just break off?? And I have been putting aloe on it.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's great that he is eating like crazy. 8) What were the final basking & cool side temps now that you have the digital with probe end? Were you able to find the Repti-Sun 10.0 fluorescent bulb?

Would you be able to post a picture of his tail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom