OMG! Girlfriend just stepped on dragon! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, so I'm not even gonna get into how mad I am at her right now. My Gus was sunbathing in the puddle of sunshine in the middle of the living room floor, when my GF gets home. As soon as she comes in, I say "Lizard on the loose" and she sees him, and comes over to say hello. She walks back in the kitchen and comes back into the living room, forgetting that he is there, and just steps on him. Much yelling ensures, and Gus runs away in a panicked, freaky manner. His beard turned the deepest coal black possible and is still that way 45 mins. later. His limbs seem to be fine, but he just looks like his pelvis area might be swollen (can't tell for sure though, I'm feeling pretty paranoid right now) so he is soaking in a warm bath right now watched over by his eternally sorry mother.

So do I have anything to worry about? His beard staying so black for so long tells me that he is hurting and deeply traumatized, but what are the signs to look for for possible internal injuries? Like I said, he may be swollen but I'm not sure. God, I am so angry and worried right now, I just wanted to see what ya'll thought about this sorrowful episode.

MissT

BD.org Addict
crystallinesheen":90168 said:
So do I have anything to worry about? His beard staying so black for so long tells me that he is hurting and deeply traumatized, but what are the signs to look for for possible internal injuries?

Oh dear... im sure she feels terrible!!!
Anyway, yes his black beard is a pretty good sign that he is in pain. In terms of signs of internal bleeding, blood in his stools is a pretty good sign... however, if he has damaged his pelvis area im thinking he may have some trouble going potty!

I would suggest that you take him to the vet for a scan, however, from what I can remember it can take up to 3 days for anything to show up on the scan! An x-ray may be a good first step tho if that is an option for you?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Oh my I am so sorry.Yes please do get hm to the vet.Internal injuries,breaks,etc only get worse with time.While it does some time take time to show swelling on a scan they should be able to see a clearcut break/injury right away.Beardies have a great ability to hide injury so if he is still blackbearding that is a pretty clear sign that he is not in the best mood/shape.Even if its only muscular I would get him to a vet so they can prescripe meds as needed for inflamation.A bath is a good idea.I would also remove any objuects out of his tank that he can fall from until your sure he has full motor control(few days at least).You may also want to make him a nice lay spot with towels of something as it may hurt him to lay down.Make sure he stays warm and hydrated until you can get him to the vet.Also dont give im any food/feeders that are difficult to pass should it hurt him to strain.Stick to soft bodied feeders and avoid alot of chitin for the moment.Please keep us posted.

crystallinesheen

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick replies, he seems to be running around ok, his beard is fading too. I'll go get him some wax worms and a trip to the vet tomorrow. I'll let ya'll know how he does.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
crystallinesheen":f058b said:
Thanks for the quick replies, he seems to be running around ok, his beard is fading too. I'll go get him some wax worms and a trip to the vet tomorrow. I'll let ya'll know how he does.
Oh good I am glad he seems to be a bit better.I do agree though its still a very wise idea to get him to the vet tomorrow and definately please do keep us posted.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh sorry about that accident! I am glad you are going to take him in for an x-ray, that should show if anything is crushed or broken on him.
Definitely as suggested, just watch him closely for gait, balance, & blood in the stools. Keep us posted on him!

Tracie

crystallinesheen

Original Poster
Sorry everyone for the late reply. It looks as if Gus will be OK. He was blackbearded for 4 or 5 hours until he went to sleep, and the next day he seemed a bit more lethargic than usual but no more black beard. At the end of the day he was pretty much his old self, running around and he seemed to have an appetite. Yesterday (Saturday) he even pooped and no blood or anything. He spent the morning running around in his usual manner while I watched the Saints game, and I made VERY SURE that his mom was aware of his every location and move.

Well, I think he is fine, but my g/f and I are still barely on speaking terms. I know she still feels horrible about it and thinks I am still mad...but I am getting over it. Hopefully she learns a lesson from this and learns to be more mindful. Thanks you for your concern, and watch out for the little guys on the floor soaking up the sun!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Thats godd news.Please keep us posted on him and make sure to continue to keep an eye on im.Sometimes these injuries can mask themselves until the damage is serious so if you think something is wrong go with your gut because it probably is right :wink:

EclpsPrinc

Juvie Member
Poor guy! Poor you! That's one of my biggest fears... me or one of my family members stepping on one of the beardies. I'm so glad he's ok.

Pleaides

Juvie Member
wow thats awful.
im sure she does feel terrible, bless her and your little dragon.
i let my beardies run riot on our upstairs landing and go round beforehand (theres 8 people that live in our house) that dragons are having a run, the second anyone comes up i shout out watch out dragon on floor! lol
so did you get him to the vets or not?
what happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom