Toe just broke in half!! Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilStewie

I rescued a beardie from a guy at work yesterday. He was given to me with a tank which is 55gal. Had a basking light, however I don't think he had adequate UVB. I will be getting an MVB bulb. Not much else is known from the previous owner. Anyways, today I got him out to give a bath, and one of his toes is broken in half, and it is about to fall off. It appears pink and red but not bleeding much. I need to know how to treat this until I can seek a vet. Probally not till Monday. Is it alright to still give him a bath? I think he is really dehydrated and it almost appears like that is how the toe cracked in half. Please help soon if anyone can.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hi
Wow sorry.When you say broken in 1/2 do actually mean the scales,bone and all as if it were cut off?If so yes give him a bath but also get some betadine and dilute it until it looks like tea and soak his foot in that.Then get some neosporin and apply that on it and wrap the toe if you can.I would get him to the vet as soon as possible.He most likely wont be able to save it and it will have to be removed but you want to make sure it doesnt get infected.Whats holding the toe on? Is it bone,scales,tissue?

lilStewie

Original Poster
Its hangin on by a thread, I think it would just fall right off if he moved. I am getting the betadine, and I will soak him for a bit. Should I use neosporin also? Im glad there is a reptile show in STL that we are going to on Sun. I should be able to get a MVB there. Reptileuv.com was on back order right now. I think he might have MVB, he looks good but he is very dry and peeling in places. He has curled up toes that just don't look normal. Thanks for your response. This is our first rescue and we have had great success with stew our other dragon, so hopn we can give this guy a better life.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
lilStewie":ba30a said:
Its hangin on by a thread, I think it would just fall right off if he moved. I am getting the betadine, and I will soak him for a bit. Should I use neosporin also? Im glad there is a reptile show in STL that we are going to on Sun. I should be able to get a MVB there. Reptileuv.com was on back order right now. I think he might have MVB, he looks good but he is very dry and peeling in places. He has curled up toes that just don't look normal. Thanks for your response. This is our first rescue and we have had great success with stew our other dragon, so hopn we can give this guy a better life.

Yes I am sorry my second sentence should have been put some neosporin on it after the betadine soak.I will edit and correct my statement,sorry.Sounds like he is dehydrated and possibly suffering some calcium deficiency.The best thing you can do is get that MVB so thats great.If it falls off just make sure to keep it clean and wrap it up so it doesnt get infected.Also I dont know what type of substrate you are using but for now I would switch over to papertowels to keep it clean from infection and absolutely no partical substrates.

haleygirl272

Sub-Adult Member
O MY GOSH!! IM SO SORRY! Of course take him to a vet ASAP!!!! But until then, wrap in in some gauze and don't let him run around. Maybe put him in a smaller area or block of part of his viv until he can be take to a vet. I hope your baby gets better! :cry:

lilStewie

Original Poster
Thanks for the good wishes and help! I am starting to think that he has MBD prety bad, I don't think they ever gave him the proper lighting or supplements. In fact I know they didn't, they said he is 3 years old so I am shocked that he is not in a lot worse condition. I am going to do everything I can to make sure he has the proper care for the rest of his life. I have raised my dragon from a baby and he is doing great, this is our first experience with a rescue and it is tough to see a little guy who went his whole life without the proper care. It is amazing how people can get these creatures and not take the time to research about the pet they are getting. Thanks again for all of your help.

Thor's Mom

Sub-Adult Member
Hi,

So sorry to hear about this little guy. He is lucky to be with you now, as I can see he will be well cared for.

Get a Megaray for your uvb. They seem expensive at first, but they last a year so they really are not much more at all than what a tube would be. You can use a Megaray in a 55 gallon, no problem. You will be amazed at the results/improvements. http://www.reptileuv.com

Also, just wanted to mention, was thinking that you did not tell us what subtrait he is on. If he is on sand of any type, make sure to get it out of there and put him on papertowel for the time being. You may already know this, but I figured it was worth mentioning just in case.

Good luck with the little guy, I hope it all works out really well. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom