Beardie End of Tail turning black and drying up

Status
Not open for further replies.

lboelsche

I have a 5 month old bearded dragon. He is 11 inches long. He just shed and now I notice that the end of his tail has turned black, and is shrivled up hard. The tail gets dark about 3 inches from the end but the only last inch is hard. Any ideas.

He has a UVA/UVB lightbulb, a red heat light, and a basking light. The highest temp in cage is 95-100. The coolest is 80.

His diet consists of kale, collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, cantalope, mango, carrots, zuccini, small crickets, and small meal worms.

I also dust the crickets in a multi-vitamin and calcium dust.

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
How long have you had him? It sounds like what I saw at Petsmart from their tails being bitten.

wingeddrgn

Hatchling Member
My beardie is having the same trouble..At first we thought it was 'cause she was having trouble shedding, but the black area is getting bigger. Also her tail is turning pink/red. I am taking her to the vet today in about 3 hours, so if anybody has any suggestions it would be appreciated..
Thanks!!

wingeddrgn

Hatchling Member
I have returned from the vet and my beardie is in surgery as I write. She is having her tail amputated. The end that was black and dried up was necrosis and she got an infection in her tail. I have posted in the enclosure area for ideas on how to modify her cage to help her adjust to having no tail. She only has a few nails on the front feet and none on the back. Keep her in your prayers and I will update when she gets home from the vet.

midnight_962002

Sub-Adult Member
I just wanted to make a quick suggestion. Ditch the red heat light and get a regular bulb. They like it bright and from my understanding the red light is actualy annoying to them.

Ernie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom