HELP My BAbY has his eyes closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

aperson150

Original Poster
okay good, I have the right thermometer. I have just one last question and that is can you use another light that emits uva along side the mvb (don't worry I do not have one hooked up in my tank because i don;t know if you can)? I am just wondering out of curiosity....can a beardie get sick on too much uva rays?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great you got the Powersun & that your baby is doing well today. So he is more active too?
Yes, I suggest using another non UVB coil light for extra brightness & you can place that directly beside the Powersun. That will just even out the color & light spectrum for him without adding much if any extra heat.
So you are using a ceramic heat emitter along with the Powersun too? Make sure he has ample area to cool off if needed.
I am glad you got everything all setup for him now.
As far as getting "too" much UVB, normally they really can't, unless a bad bulb that emits low wavelength UVB light is used then they will get the wrong type of UVB. Usually though with good quality lights, they will regulate themselves in & out of the UVB as they feel the need to do so.

Tracie

aperson150

Original Poster
hello,

I am using a ceramic heat emitter because without it the heat of the tank would be way to low and the MVB is not very hot.
He is a lot more acrive, and horking back crickets now, plus his beloved squash ( he loves it so much he jumps on the spoon) I am very glad he is not lethargic anymore!

Honestly, you have to just relax and observe your dragon over a period of time to learn its little quirks. When I got my dragon, I was hyper aware of every move he made. When he went into his first brumation, he went from an active, eating dragon to a dragon that would spend his whole day on the cool side of his tank and not be hungry in the least. I took him to a vet, spent 250 bucks to find out nothing seemed to be wrong with him. In the 3 years I have owned him, he does the exact same thing every June to September (which is wintertime in Australia, interesting his internal clock is still on Aussie time)

Don't be worried if your dragon has an off day, (so do we) but do take him to a vet if the drowsy behavior persists. Better to not worry and be proactive, if financially possible.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What are the overall ambient temps of the tank? He just needs a basking spot of around 95-110, & a cooler end of 78-82. The entire tank does not need to be over 85 degrees or else he wont be able to thermoregulate & will get overheated.
Great he is not lethargic anymore. Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

aperson150

Original Poster
Okay, I have two bearded dragons, and the one i have been talking about is doing great. BUT my other beardie who is in another tank and a month oler is not! Since i have had her she has been perfect, eating all of her crickets (which are dusted with repti-cal) and she has always been bright and alert. Then this morning I woke up and her eyes are sunken in ands she is lethargic! I am now again freaking out, only over a different dragon. I know sunken eyes are a sign of dehyrdration but she does drink. When I found her I autimatically put her in the bath with warm water and she began to drink. Then I gave her heated up squash and she ate it off of her nose. Also when I woke up this morning I noticed that her toes were red, and a bit bloody. they were not like that yesterday.

i also noticed that the temp is 122! i know that is too hot so i turned off one of the lights....is she overheated?

I have her on a towl beside me and every so often she opens one eye, and eats some babyfood...I know this may sound like a freakout, and i wouldn't post but it is the sunken eyes that worry me. Her lights have now been on for a hour. Normally she wakes up and scurries to her log, waiting for her crickets, and waves and chases her reflection in the tank

Tank specifics
1 30 galleon tank
1 MVB powersun bulb (100 watt)
1 100 ceramic
1 150 uva bulb

Help! And I am sorry to ask for your guys' help again. I am not a bad bearded dragon owner. I really try to do everything I can to keep them happy and healthy. Unfortunately I wake up and something has gone wrong in the night!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry you are having trouble with your other dragon. Are you using a digital probe or a temp gun to measure the temps? At 122 you are going to bake her & she will have heat injury & possible death.
Do you have 350 watts of lighting in that tank? If so, that is way way too much, especially for only a 30 gallon tank.
Stick with the Powersun & only one other light such as a non uvb energy saver type of coil light for extra brightness & it will not add much heating. Please turn all of the lights off except for the Powersun.
Remeasure the temps then, & let us know what they are.
If her eyes are that sunken in she is extremely dehydrated & needs to be allowed to cool down for a few days or so, while being rehydrated.

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

aperson150

Original Poster
Hello
I have spent my whole day rehydrating her (everytime I close my eyes I see her face) I have given her 5 baths, she drinks the water I give her, I bought some hypevite electrolytes, and she had that. And some squash. At one point she woke up and ran around my bed. I turned off all of the lights except the power sun. I also took her to the vet. He gave her a shot of fluids. I am going to try hydrating her some more. She has woken up a few times

:( :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom