Strange arm movements! X-ray included pg 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Hey guys - im worried about Abu again!!

Today, she was doing a strange 'arm wave' type motion. I will try to describe it as best as I can - she is moving her left arm clockwise up towards her mouth with (what I can only describe as) her palm turned in towards her body. When it reaches level with her mouth, she tries to bite it and sticks her tongue out at it. After the first time I noticed her do this she seemed quite stiff and as she walked her arm would go right underneath her body so she was lying on it as she walked. She also doesn't seem to be gripping with that foot at all. She later did it while lying on her basking spot - all her body weight was on her right side (off to the side of the log) as she lifted her left arm and if it wasnt for the fact that I got there in time to catch her she would have fallen on the viv floor rather than my hand!!

Just for info, she is currently carrying infertile eggs and has also, mysteriously lost a back toe nail this weekend!! The poor girl is having a pretty rough week!!

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

T

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hi Miss T
Poor Abu :(
Well I am not sure what exactly is going on here however arm waving in itself isnt an issue but if she is biting herself then it can be a sign that she is lacking in vitamins/calcium.Now being as she is gravid it is possible because they lose alot of calcium during this process.How often are you giving vitamins?Also you said she lost a toenail on the back foot?Was it an injury or could she have bitten it?ave you checked her over for mites or fungus?How gravid is she?

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey Vicky!!

It doesnt seem like a normal arm wave tho - shes only really half turning it, biting at it and putting it back down again. Even when she climbs up on her log she seems stiff!

vickson420":94672 said:
Now being as she is gravid it is possible because they lose alot of calcium during this process.How often are you giving vitamins?
Since finding out she was gravid we have been supplementing with calcium 5 days per week and vitamins 2 days per week. Shes also being offered and eating a lot more than she was previously (she has had some weight issues but due to the situation she is being spoilt rotten)!

How gravid is she?
We cannot really be sure... I took her to see a breeder friend last week as I was concerned that she was continually putting on weight - he said she was gravid and he reckons she will lay in the next 2 weeks.

Also you said she lost a toenail on the back foot?Was it an injury or could she have bitten it?ave you checked her over for mites or fungus?
I cant see how she would have injured herself - over the last 2 weeks she has been pretty lazy, prefering to hang out on the cool side with her tummy flat on the ground for most of the day! There is nothing in her viv that I can see that she could have caught it on. But it seems like a pretty clean 'rip'! She doesnt even want cuddles or her usual burrito yet she seems brighter and happier than usual. I always do spot checks for mites/fungus, and have not noticed anything unusual with either of them!!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hmmm I am not sure.I had a feeling you had already upped her supplements but the only time I have really ever heard of beardies biting themselves is if the are lacking supplements in their body or if there is an issue with the scales thats causing them discomfort.I think I am going to have to call for some reinforcements here :mrgreen:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh gee, that sounds puzzling. Any sign of shedding that could be cutting off circulation in her foot that she is trying to loosen? How is her color any darkened beard and/or tail? Another thought, could she have burned her foot somehow?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

Geez, what a crazy problem. Everything has been addressed I feel.
Have you noticed any other type of restless behavior?
I would check for retained shed possibly, that can cause itching & irritation in area of retained shed.
What type of calcium are you giving?
Does she appear to be in any pain or can you tell? I hope that she is not having trouble with an egg possibly. That is only an idea though. Maybe you should get an x-ray done just to make sure everything is looking ok.

Tracie

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
diamc":cfb41 said:
How is her color any darkened beard and/or tail? Another thought, could she have burned her foot somehow?
Shes def not dark at all - in fact, shes been a very happy girl lately - her beard is as orange as ever and her tail is just normal - no darkness at all! I cant imagine that she could have burned her foot - there is no where hot enough that she can reach.

The stiffness also worries me and the 'dragging' of her foot (when it goes underneath her belly!) The biting worries me but the stiffness and lack of grip are really causing me concern!!

Drache613":cfb41 said:
Have you noticed any other type of restless behavior?
I would check for retained shed possibly, that can cause itching & irritation in area of retained shed.
What type of calcium are you giving?
Does she appear to be in any pain or can you tell? I hope that she is not having trouble with an egg possibly. That is only an idea though. Maybe you should get an x-ray done just to make sure everything is looking ok.
She hasnt been restless at all lately - pretty lazy most of the time (im putting that down to the weight of her tummy at present!!) I have checked for retained shed but there is nothing in that area - oddly the opposite foot is beginning to look like it may shed soon!!!
I usually use minerall calcium but I dropped the tub recently and am presently using calyso as it is the best which I can source locally.
I do not believe she is in any pain - she seems content and there is no darkness of her beard or tip of tail.

She had an x-ray about 6/7 weeks ago at a regular vet which were all sent to her regular vet when she had a follow up with him and all was normal!! ATM im having to wait about 5-6 weeks to get an appt with my vet as he is pretty booked up - unless it is a 'definite emergency!!'

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Ok so you dont think its shed.Can you feel her eggs yet?Honestly I am trying to think of everything I can here as her symptoms are very strange.I am concerned she will injure herself severly if she actually decides to bite herself.As for the stiffness.Is it always stiff?I am wondering if maybe her eggs are pressing on a nerve or something.I am just not sure.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is she doing today? Well, that is strange she is so relaxed right now. I wonder if the eggs have dropped yet, where is her tummy big at, & do you actually see the eggs?
Is she going to the bathroom normally? She could be impacted possibly from being so full of eggs, if there is an irregularly shaped eggs causing problems.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey guys - sorry it took so long to catch up here - been working far too much!! Should also add that Abu has a permanent 'beardie-sitter' in my Mother in Law who sends most of her time with my little guys - so anything strange is usually picked up on by her!!

Anyway, yesterday we only noticed her strange moving and biting on one occasion. She only does the 'stiff movements' after she does the circular motion - then she will walk normally again - her grip does not seem to have improved tho! Today we didnt see her 'wave' or move stiffly at all which I'm thinking is a good thing. I am, however, worried that, even if she doesnt bite herself, she will fall off her log when doing the wave and bite action if noone catches her in the act!

She is pooping very regularly - every morning between 11 am and 11.30 am she has a rather large bowel movement!! At times I think I can see the eggs. I can definitely feel something in there. Her belly is largest sort of towards her chest rather than her vent area. She tends to hold herself in a sort of 'pre-poop' position when shes being most active - sort of like she is 'sucking' her belly area up towards her chest (I'm trying my best to explain this but I dont think im doing too well!)

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Do you think you can get Abu to the vet? I would like to see her get an xray to check her egg placement.I dont know what else it could possibly be at this point.Maybe Tracie or Diane will have some ideas.I am going to try to do a little research and see if I can find anything else it could be.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
vickson420":25f64 said:
Do you think you can get Abu to the vet? I would like to see her get an xray to check her egg placement.I dont know what else it could possibly be at this point.

I wish my vet was that simple - we called on Saturday to ask for an appointment in about 3 weeks time (I know she had a full check up recently but figured I wanted another after she lays just to be sure all is well with her) and were told there is a 6/7 week backlog but that the vet would call back when he was in surgery to arrange a suitable time/day. I called again yesterday and my OH called today and were told he will be in the surgery on Friday morning and we could come in and wait but that he may not be able to see us as he is fully booked - im working on Friday (im a supply teacher and just work when I get a call) and the OH has no transport to get her the 45 miles over there - especially if the vet wont be able to see her. I'm still waiting for him to call back to try to arrange a definite time - but it could be Friday before he calls! I seriously need to move to a country with a more plentiful supply of herp vets!!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Oh dear I am sorry i am still doing some research I will see what I can figure out.I put a call in to my vet to see if he has any advice but I doubt I will get a call until tomorrow as its 8PM here.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
You are an absolute star, Vicky!! Thank you so much!! I will keep pestering the receptionist at the vets tomoro!! I'm determined to get something sorted asap - even if it is just a phonecall from the vet to start with!!

Thanks again! I will let you know how she is doing tomoro!

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom