beardie wont eat... wont sit under basking spot??? HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

danny662boy

Hatchling Member
so i bought my first beardie yesterday a lil guy about 6 inches, and i put him in his kingdom (40 gall breeder) i have a flukers medium iguana branch that goes to this like tree thing thats in the shape of a y. the highest point of the branch is about 6 inches from the screen top, which lies my 5.5" fixture with a 75 watt zoo med reptibasking spot lamp.. and in the middle i have the deep dome with the repti sun 10.0 compact flourescent... i check the basking spot with my temp gun often to see the temp rise, i havent gotten it to a 100 so far, its at 84 and i turned it on an hour ago.. do i need a stronger bulb? maybe 100 watt to get the correct basking spot? he doesnt seem to sit under the basking light, but goes offset to the right of it on the branch? and he hasnt ate a cricket or veg yet? maybe since its a new environment??

Drakonia13

I'm not an expert by any means, but I do know they have relocation stress for about a week. I might simply be that. :D

Poisoned1

Gray-bearded Member
A big reason your dragon may not be sitting under the basking light is because your uv is located close to it and your uv is a very dangerous one.

The compact have been known to cause major injuries to the eyes, I will let you know that you need to get a reptisun 10, from http://www.petmountain.com they are cheap it's the flourescent bulb one.

You must get the flourescent bulb not the compact or the coil.

And you also probably do need a stronger bulb, how are you measuring temps?

danny662boy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i talked to the breeder from "just lizards inc" at this reptile show yesterday, and i told him my setup, and i was thinking bout getting a lamp stand to have the dome and bulb 16" away from the lizard, during the burn in period, but he told me its fine to just have it laying on the screen... his lizards looked phenomenal, has alot of knowledge about them, and he also got asked to write an article for some reptile magazine... his basking spot bulb is a 75 watt and is approx 6 inches away from its highest point, when i use my temp gun from outside the screen it says 94 degrees but when i go inside the screen close to the stick about an inch away under the light its a 106.3 degrees which is a good temp.. when i just got in i left 5 crickets in there and he ate them, passed a stool, and seems to be a lot more "livelier"

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes, those work fine on top of the screen and don't really get hot, so no worries there.

[It must be hard for you to follow all of the threads you started on the same subject and makes it hard for us too. So, next time please only start one thread on the same subject.]

danny662boy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
so i can buy that and just set it on the screen?? what size would be good for a 40 gall breeder??

Poisoned1

Gray-bearded Member
Any size is fine as long as your dragon can get 6-8 inches from it and make sure to remove the plastic cover on the front.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I answered your pm but answering here as well. You could get either a 24" or 36" hood, it's not necessary for it to run the full length of the tank. The UVB should be placed right alongside the basking bulb so he can get both benefits at the same time while basking. Are you going to get the hood Poisoned1 posted and then also get the Repti-Sun 10.0 fluorescent from Petmountain too?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poisoned1":60909 said:
Any size is fine as long as your dragon can get 6-8 inches from it and make sure to remove the plastic cover on the front.
Exactly, he summed it up.

danny662boy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thanks everyone! im goin to petco.. i can return the dome, and get a fixture and then the bulb whatever.. or petsmart! thanks again!!! i appreciate it and my boojee boo does too :)

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So, guess we convinced you then, glad to hear that. 8) If you get the bulb at a petstore, you're going to pay at least double of what you'd pay at http://www.petmountain.com though. In the meantime, I suggest you not use the coil/compact anymore, boojee boo is better without any at all for a few days to a wk. Let us know how you make out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom