Respiratory Infection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonkeeper3

Hatchling Member
Hi,
I think Aidan might have an RI. Though it might be sinuses too. Every now and then he puffs himself up and beards, he shakes his head so violently that his whole upper body is thrown too. While doing this he's like trying to clear his throat, at least that's what it seems like to me, or like he's really trying to work up some stuff out of his lungs. The humidity is 30% or less during the day but rises to like 50-60% at night. He has a 100 watt basking bulb all to himself and his repti glo 5.0. I think I posted a while ago on how I thought he didn't seem like himself. He's acting the same (sluggish, tired, the classic "i'm not feeling well" routine), except now he's throwing his head about and hacking. Even at rest it seems to me that he's acting like he's not getting enough oxygen. His eating has decreased the last couple of days, though he did poop this morning no problem and his belly isn't sunken at all. His color is good, though it never changes. He's alert just groggy looking. At first this morning when I first saw him doing it I thought that since my fiance had just fed him maybe he had some food caught in his throat but when I opened his mouth I didn't see anything. But he sure had the energy to fight and black beard me! Right now I've got him with me on the couch so I can keep an eye on him. He's laying on a warm rice sock with his heat lamp above him. He goes back and forth from lazily looking around and doing the "I'm so tired I can't keep my eyes open" blinking. I'll try to get him hacking on my camera so you can see what I'm talking about. If this sounds familiar though let me know what it is if you know.
Thanks,
DK3

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I'm not sure about the RI. I know there are symptoms to look for and your's don't sound like it. I don't think the uvb you have is very strong. The Reptiglo 10 is not a good one to use as it doesn't give out good uvb and to keep your beardie safe, you need to keep the bulb 10" away from him and use a bright white bulb next to it and when you do that, it doesn't give out enough uvb for the beardies. The Reptiglo 8 is better also the ReptiSUN 10 is the best fluorescent uvb (make sure it's the long tube and not any coil/compact uvb's) then the ReptiSUN 5, then the above mentioned reptiglo 8. Be warned, I found a uvb that could be confused with the reptisun's, it's a reptAsun and I haven't heard anything about them.

What size tank do you have? the reason I ask is that if you have a 40 breeder or larger, you can use the Megaray which is the very best uvb you can get.

dragonkeeper3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well I have a 55 gal. tank and the temps run about 90-112 depending how warm my apartment is. It sucks that the thermostat that controls four apartments isn't in mine. :angry5: I'm waiting for the uvb light to go before I put in a repti sun, but I am going to eventually just use the MVB. But as I'm expecting myself I can't just go out and order hundreds of dollars in beardie stuff, though that is exactly what I want to do every minute of every day! I dust calcium Sunday through Saturday except Tuesday and Thursday they get vitamins. They get salad everyday. Eventually though I'm going to get a long tank, bigger than what I have now I think and transform my 55 now into a roach tank. Right now they're young and still very arboreal so they are within that 10" range but as they get older they won't be. Right now Aidan has 103 degrees F and 4% humidity.
DK3

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Since you have a 55 gallon, you could probably just go to the mega ray. I suggest going to reptileuv.com and checking out his site. The mega rays go for about $40 and the uvb is much better for them and the uvb also lasts for 12 to 18 months. It's suggested to use the repcal calcium with no d3. Both of the repcal calciums are phosophorus free. It is necessary for beardies to have calcium with NO phosophorus in it as they get enough from the food they eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom