PLEASE HELP! think my beardie had a Upper Respiratory Infect

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBOBBIT

I have a full grown bearded dragon (approx. 3 years), he has been very healthy during the time I have had him, but starting yesterday, he began gaping his mouth and kind of gasping for air. It also looked like his throat was kind of slimy/mucus. He has also been very thirsty. I researched online and it said this could be a possible upper respiratory infection and the treatment would be baytril (I just read posts about Baytril and was told Tylan would be best) . I am a single mother who recently lost her house, job, and car due to separation and am strapped for cash. I will work for treatment if I have to, I just need to get treatment for our family pet. If anyone has any recommendations for a reasonable price, as I have priced many and the bill would be at least $70. Or, if you know where I can get this prescription without being seen. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you in advance!!!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
TBOBBIT":76888 said:
I have a full grown bearded dragon (approx. 3 years), he has been very healthy during the time I have had him, but starting yesterday, he began gaping his mouth and kind of gasping for air. It also looked like his throat was kind of slimy/mucus. He has also been very thirsty. I researched online and it said this could be a possible upper respiratory infection and the treatment would be baytril (I just read posts about Baytril and was told Tylan would be best) . I am a single mother who recently lost her house, job, and car due to separation and am strapped for cash. I will work for treatment if I have to, I just need to get treatment for our family pet. If anyone has any recommendations for a reasonable price, as I have priced many and the bill would be at least $70. Or, if you know where I can get this prescription without being seen. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you in advance!!!

Oh I am so sorry.Is there any chance you could work something out with the vet?Either a payment plan or maybe you could offer to do some office work for them.I am sorry but there really isnt anyway to get baytril or any other med without a vet prescription because they would dose due to weight and size.How are the temps in your tank at the moment.Its important to make sure he is warm.What are the temps at night as well?So you see mucous in his throat?Is he constantly gaping?Do you hear any noises when you hold him up to your ear?
Give herpvetconnection.com maybe you can find a vet in your area that will work with you and maybe if you post your location someone here can recommend one.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Are you able to keep him in his tank & under a basking light right now? I am sorry about your circumstances.
I normally do not recommend self medicating. Are you positive he has a respiratory infection? It definitely sounds like it based on your description.
You will need to keep him warmer at night, with a ceramic heat emitter or a heating pad with a towel in between him & the pad.
Is he eating normally?

Tracie

TBOBBIT

Original Poster
Thank you for both replys. I have called most vets in my area and no one is willing to work with me on a payment plan. Thank you for the suggestions about keeping him warmer. During the day he has been staying up near the light on his basking rock. At night I turn on his dark light, but tonight I will keep his normal light on because I think it stays hotter. I only have a thermometer on the side he sleeps and it usually stays around upper 80. but that is the opposide from where his basking area is. He also has a heat rock he enjoys as well.

I haven't really heard any noises too out of the ordinary other than a watery noise from his nose and that was only once. I haven't got him out too much today because I am afraid I will stress him out. I just bought him some fresh crickets today and he ate fine. He seemed a little slow on his reflexed trying to catch them, but I kind of cornered the crickets so he didn't have to work as hard. He hasn't really been eating his vegetables to much and this last week when I have been bathing him, he seems to drink a lot, deff not something he usually does. Could he have gotten water logged? Is this something you think will dry up on his own?

I am not for sure that this is what he has. I have just searched online and that is what I have come up with. He gapes open his mouth and fluffs out his beard and his air pipe on his toungue opens up wide and he will do this every so often. Right now he is sleeping fine, but all day he was continued to almost gasp. Put me to tears watching him suffer.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Check your message box, I sent you a PM.
If it is a mild case of a respiratory infection then it could clear up on its own yes, but if it is a more severe one then he does need some type of treatment to dry things up.
Make sure the humidity is below 30% right now in the tank. Those symptoms sound like a respiratory infection or the beginnings of one.
How warm does the night light get? It it gets at least 80 in there that is fine. You really don't want to use a bright light during the overnight hours as that could keep him awake.
Right now I would put off bathing him just so he doesn't get chilled for some reason.
What type of thermometer are you using to measure the temps? The thermometer needs to be under his basking light area to determine the exact basking temps. The basking temps need to be around 95-110 & the cooler end around 78-82. A digital probe or a temp gun are the 2 best types of thermometers to use.
I am not real surprised you couldn't find a vet to do a payment plan, most don't.

Keep us posted.

Tracie

TBOBBIT

Original Poster
Hi Tracie, thank you for all your help! I am so desperate and so worried. This morning he is still doing this gasping show with his mouth. I will have to check the temps under the basking area and find something to check that with. Also, the humidity says 40%, how can I regulate that? I have a Zoo Med strip for the temp and a Zoo Med humidity dial as well. What is a digital probe? Is that something that sticks to the glass as well but is digital? I am going to fine something today to check the temp or go at buy one, they can't be too expensive. I have both heat lamps on this morning and he is sitting on the bottom enjoying that. I sure hope it clears up before it gets worse.

I am so glad I found this site. You all have been very helpful!!!

Sincerely,
Tonya and Sammy

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
TBOBBIT":6f38f said:
Hi Tracie, thank you for all your help! I am so desperate and so worried. This morning he is still doing this gasping show with his mouth. I will have to check the temps under the basking area and find something to check that with. Also, the humidity says 40%, how can I regulate that? I have a Zoo Med strip for the temp and a Zoo Med humidity dial as well. What is a digital probe? Is that something that sticks to the glass as well but is digital? I am going to fine something today to check the temp or go at buy one, they can't be too expensive. I have both heat lamps on this morning and he is sitting on the bottom enjoying that. I sure hope it clears up before it gets worse.

I am so glad I found this site. You all have been very helpful!!!

Sincerely,
Tonya and Sammy
Hi
I am sorry he isnt doing better for you.A digital thermometer with a probe is not a stick on but it can come with a suction cup.You can get them anywhere from 7-12$.I personally dont use the ones they sell in the pet store.I use one from walmart called an accurite indoor/outdoor digital therm w/probe and humidity.It gives you to temps,1 is from the probe and the oter is from the unit itself so you can measure bothe the basking surface and cool end at the same time as well as tank humidity.You can find it in the hardware section and it costs about 12$.I thing once you get an accurate measure of temps you may find you will be able to raise the temps a bit which will reduce the humidity level.Also if you want to keep your beardie a little warmer at night you can use a rice sock.Basically fill a tube sock with uncooked rice then warm it in the microwavve until its nice and warm then lay your beardie on it and can wrap both up with a "blankie".I find this helps when they are not feeling well.

TBOBBIT

Original Poster
Thank you to all who has helped!! We just got back from Glen Animal Hospital. I was so lucky enough to borrow $100 which was just enough. They wanted to run more tests and get a culture and everything else. But I do not have that kind of money. They did do an injection of Baytril and is scheduled for another one on Saturday. It blows me away to pay $38 for an injection that probably cost $50 or less for the whole bottle. Also, he said the calcium sand and walnut shell that I have in there for him is not good. Even though I clean his poop out within 5 minutes it can still cause bacteria. He suggested Astro Turf or even just paper towels. Please keep him in your prayers that this terrible sickness passes.

THank you all!!
Tonya

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Tonya,

Great you were able to borrow some money for the vet, wow, that really helped your dragon out.
Yes, those medication injections are way too expensive, I will completely agree with that one. Do you have a water dish inside of your tank? If you do, definitely take that out right now it will help with the humidity levels.
The calcisand & walnut shell are not good, so your vet is right about that. Those loose substrates can cause impactions & they do harbor bacteria as well, which contributes to coccidia outbreaks & other infections sometimes.
Try non adhesive shelf liner, tiles, paper towels or butcher's paper. They are all easy to keep clean, too & look nice.
I understand about money, too. If you ever do get a chance, bloodwork is always good just to get a baseline & to determine the infection, but it does usually cost around $100 or so.

Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

TBOBBIT

Original Poster
Hi Tracie,

I have not kept a water dish in there since about a week or so. Sammy has never drank of out it and it seemed that all I was doing is cleaning and filling it from just drying out from the lights. He drinks when he gets a bath. He still is doing this gasping like show and it makes me so sad to sit and watch him. I just hope he is not suffering. I never want to see an animal suffer. He has not eatin today so hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for him.

I brought him to the vet in a basket lined with a blanket, and while we waited all he wanted to do was sit in mommy's lap. Even after being evaluated, all he wanted was to sit on my chest. My poor baby! he has been such a wonderful pet to me and my two children. My daughter who is 2 loves to push him in her baby stroller. We even have put barbie hats and stuff adn taken pictures. How can I upload a picture of him on here. I thought i saw an area to do that, but it said the maximum was like 16 KB. That was too tiny to see anything. lol

Tonya and Sammy

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hi Tonya
I am very glad you got him to the vet.I agree with everything he said about the substrate.Did you ever get a thermometer to measure the temps?Oh also did he tell you about using probiotics while he is on meds.I know how much you love him and I really hope this is an easy recovery for you guys.As for posting pics open a free account on photobucket.com and upload the pics there then copy and paste the IMG code under the picture and paste it hear in the comment area.
-Vicky

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Tonya,

Ah, how sweet your daughter loves to push him around in the baby stroller, that is hilarious. I am sure those are cute pictues too.
Well, that is great he was so well behaved at the vet's office! :D What a good boy he was, too. He just wanted comfort from his mommy.
He is still gasping a bit? I hope that goes away soon, poor baby.
Good you took the water dish out right now, it should help the humidity in the tank.
Keep me posted on him!
I hope that he eats tomorrow for you.
It is easy to upload the pictures. Go to http://www.photobucket.com & upload your pictures then copy & paste on the URL there then you can copy & paste them onto here.

Tracie

TBOBBIT

Original Poster
Yeah, I finally figured out how to post the pictures. Thanks everyone!

I am going to go get him some probiotics tomorrow, as long as its not too pricey. I am willing to do anything at this point if I can afford it. I got his tank all cleaned out and it's now lined with paper towels. Tomorrow I am going to get the Astro Turf that the vet said is best. I also put a towel around the tank so he doesn't get stressed out with all the commotion going by. He still is doing this gasping with his mouth. He puffs out his beard and does this every so often. Sometimes even licks his lips and swallow like he is full of water or something, however the vet said the inside of his mouth looks normal. No slimier than normal.

Here are a couple pictures of my dear sweet Sammy! I will have to load the other ones tomorrow as they are on a different computer.

HAPPINESS061a.jpg

HAPPINESS551.jpg

HAPPINESS537.jpg

Hi Tonya,

Wow.. I'm glad that someone was so kind to lend the money to you so you were able to save the family pet. He's a very handsome fella and I hope he's feeling a lot better! He's a fighter, just as you are. You're a great person for caring so much as well as taking care of everything that is going on in your life right now, and I wanted to praise you on being such a strong person. :D

Best of luck with everything!

TBOBBIT

Original Poster
Hi everyone, I wanted to post an update on my baby Sammy.

Yesterday I hand fed him and he took 15 crickets, he also drank like a champ all on his own. I was so proud of him. He still does that "gasping show" but it has cut way back from when this all started. I keep his tank covered with a towel and he looks pretty good. I still talk to him and give him love when I see he is awake, but at least he gets lots of rest and not disturbed but others, like my children. He is such a sweetheart. He is scheduled today for his second set of Bayril shots. I am not sure if I said, but I think I saw he weighed 36 grams when he went to the vet. Is that a good size for a beardie?

He hasn't pooped for about 2-3 days, but I think it was because there was one day he didn't eat. Today he looks a bit bloated and I think he is due for a poop. Should I bath him to help stimulate that? Or leave him and wait for him to do it on his own. I think he's bloated because when he is layed out on the bottom he usually flattens out his stomach to some degree, and it looks pretty plump.

I am going to load those pictures now to get some of the cute ones on here.

Thank you all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom