Beardie Walking on Knuckle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I brought home my beardie today from a shelter, was to happy with what I saw to be honest, not with his tank anyway. So I get him home and I notice that he actually folds his arms under and walks on them like he's an ape. Now he has rather long nails which I plan to trim once he is a little more comfortable, but I don't think this is the cause. I actually am begining to suspect MBD. Can anyone confirm this for me. Thanks so much.

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Hi. Glad you took in a rescue.
Could you post a picture? That may help us know more what is going on with him.

LeviJohnson

Original Poster
Ok, here is a picture of him kind just sitting on it, but he will walk around on it like that. He seems better since I brought him home. Got UVB/UVA on him and have been feeding him dusted crickets and of course his greens. Thanks everyone.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Yes I think MBD is a serious possibility.Any chance vet care was included with your adoption?I would take him in for a blood panel and also some calcium injectionc.What type of uvb and calcium are you currently using for him?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yeah, please let us know what type & brand of UVB you are using, is it a flourescent tube bulb or a compact or coil light?
Your calcium is it phosphorus free?

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

LeviJohnson

Original Poster
Nah no vet care, although not a stranger to sick animals I have a cat that lives with me who has FIV. For the UVB/UVA I have the Reptisun 10.0 its tube. I am also dusting his crickets with the dragon dust by t-rex and rep cal which is phosphorus free. After I am out of school tomorrow I will set up an appointment with my vet. Whats the price range for injections?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Good you will get a vet visit setup for him. I think liquid calcium will really help him out for at least a month or longer. He could initially give him a calcium booster to help him out too.
Great you are using the repcal that is phosphorus free, good.
The Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb is the best UVB tube you can get here in the US. Make sure you have it 6-8 inches from him & placed directly beside the basking light.

Tracie

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
I second everything Tracie said :D As to the vet costs I am sorry I have no idea the prices vary greatly based on the vet and the location.

LeviJohnson

Original Poster
I took Julius to the vet today. Turns out that Julius is actually a Julianne. I guess you could call it good new, but the deformity is from an old fracture that healed badly. Otherwise she seemed pretty healthy which made me so happy. Thanks to everyone who answered, we really appreciate it. I will definitely post a couple pictures in a month or so, once she is all acclimated to her new home.

Mike & Julianne (formerly known as Julius)

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
LeviJohnson":34c31 said:
I took Julius to the vet today. Turns out that Julius is actually a Julianne. I guess you could call it good new, but the deformity is from an old fracture that healed badly. Otherwise she seemed pretty healthy which made me so happy. Thanks to everyone who answered, we really appreciate it. I will definitely post a couple pictures in a month or so, once she is all acclimated to her new home.

Mike & Julianne (formerly known as Julius)
Well thats good news.
So she fractured both front legs?Did he run any labs just to check her calcium levels?
Looking forward to the pics :D

LeviJohnson

Original Poster
She did take calcium levels which she said were fine, and ran a radiograph and you could actually see that the bones just hadn't set right, so that was reassuring, I guess. Its hard to say its a good thing. I mean I think its better then MBD, but still no one should have to suffer that. And on top of that it makes me angry to think that it could have been from the former owner, either mistreating or not giving the proper nutritional care that she needed. But I hope I can make up for what happened in the past to her.

Mike

LJean

Extreme Poster
Poor girl. Good for you for taking her in!

I only have one problem with your post.. the pic is too small. ;) Please post more when you get a chance. :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh well that is good news anyway that she doesn't have MBD though. Too bad that she has had broken wrists but they had not healed right, poor thing.
It sounds like you are doing all of the right things for her though & with your care she will get better. That is great that you took her in.

Definitely post more pics when you can.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom