Wont eat & has watery poop with small spots of blood in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my little boy a week and a half ago, when we brought him home we put him in the cage with my other beardie who then bit his head so we took him out and put the little guy in his own cage, well the first night he ate one mealworm and since then nothing? He also has been pooping brown and white sorta watery looking poop with small spots of blood in it( not alot)? I put greens (mustard,callard, turnip) and crickets but never see him eat, I also just tried giving him maggots (all dusted) from my local vivarium because they said they are best for him. Im thinking maybe the problem is he injested too much sand? I had sand in his cage until yesterday when I was told to try paper towels because of his age (maybe 3-4 months), Well today he hadnt eaten any of the maggots so I force fed him some carnivore care that the vet perscibed and he ate a little,then I gave him a nice warm soak which he seemed to enjoy.

I just wanted to know if this has happened to anyone or if anyone knows whats going on? I dont want him to die, my daughters and myself adore him... he has gotten skinny since he has been here but still has energy and is strong but the vivarium said he doesnt have enough calcium since he hasnt been eating.

here are some facts to the questions people always ask.
He is 3-4 months old
His enclosure is...
20 gals, paper towels (used to be sand), a basking branch, hide cave, food dish for greens and grub, water dish and basking 100 wat lamp, his temp is always 95-110 during the day and atleast 75 at night.
Here are some pics from the day we got him and now and his stool (kinda weird to post I know) but I need help.
Day we got him...
then12.jpg

Today...
now1.jpg

His stool...he just pooped within the last hour.
poop.jpg

(sorry for the blue underneath but the papertowels have flowers on them.

Thanks.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, go ahead & take the sand out, that can & will impact him. Did he appear to strain when going to the bathroom?
Was the head the only area that he was bitten, where was he bitten on the head?
The bite on top of the head could have injured him more than you know. It is possible that he has sustained some internal injuries as well?

What type & brand of UVB light does he have, a flourescent tube light or a compact or coil light?
I think that you should take him into the vet to get a fecal done to make sure it is not anything more serious. Can you still see the bite mark on the head?

Tracie

HerbieandOzzysmomma

Original Poster
We have the long tub uvb light its by rzilla, he has no bite marks and I got my other beardie off of him as soon as he grabed him, he ate after that but he ate one of my bigger beardies meal worms so could it be that the mealworm might have been to large? Im trying to do whatever I can to not let him die. But I dont have the money to take him to the Vet, Im a single mom of two. He has strength he is just not eating and keeps having runnie stools and his little hind legs are out but I think its cause he isent eating so he isent getting the calcium. I dont know what this is all being caused by, I hope its just the sand and he poops it all out.
Thanks for your reply I greatly appreciate it.

oh and I dont think he strains while pooping although I dont know what they look like when they poop he did poop while on my shirt though the other day and he lifted his tale up and down before it came out?

UPDATE!!!
Ok so I gave him some carnivore care in a medicine dropper and he ate about an 8th of a tsp =]. I also gave him a warm bath and dripped water on him and he drank a bunch of it and then stuck is mouth under the water and drank a bunch but then started to shake a little and then pooped (not too much blood this time)??? Then he started swimming around like crazy (very cute). Took him out and dried him off and he sat on my chest for a bit as happy as can be.

Also had a ? how long do I leave the UVB light on for?

HerbieandOzzysmomma

Original Poster
Ok so today he pooped after I gave him somemore of the carnivore care and there was a little clear white worm (guessing tape worm)??? Anyone know of something to do without having to go to the Vet? I dont have the $100 they want.
Thanks!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great it sounds like he is doing so much better now.
Unfortunately I hate to tell you but the RZilla tube light is not a good one. In fact, it is pretty dangerous. It has low wavelength UVB emissions which is close to UVC. How close is it to him?
I would really feel alot better if you got another UVB light. You can get the Reptisun 10 flourescent tube light from:
http://www.petmountain.com
http://www.reptilesupply.com
http://www.bigappleherp.com

If he is low in calcium, then that can cause him to strain when going to the bathroom, too. How long have you had that light?
If you saw a worm in his stool, it could be a hookworm, a tapeworm, or a pinworm, it is hard to say. You could get some parazap which will help clean his system out. It does not kill the worms or eggs, but, it does help flush out the GI tract of undigested foods, fecal material, & parasites, etc. You can find it online as well.

Tracie

ArdorAndZeal1

Hatchling Member
you may be able to return it to the store for credit at least, and say you were given information that this is a dangerous tube and were disappointed with the advice given by the store.

ArdorAndZeal1

Hatchling Member
I dont mean to patronize you... but are you sure it was a parasite and not normal feces?
-
parasite care needs medication, that is expensive but i believe can be obtained through outside sources that are cheaper... but accurate dosage, prescription, and probiotics need be used.

and I am not an appropriate guide for that part.

keep us posted!

HerbieandOzzysmomma

Original Poster
First off, thank you to everyone for replying I appreciate the help. Ok so yes, Im sure its a worm, my cat had them a few years back and these look exatly the same. Next, I will return the bulb today and buy one of the ones you said. Returning it shouldnt be a problem since I work for the petstore that I bought it from, hehe. Anyways I also had another guestion, how long do I leave the UVB light on for? I had a baby turtle awhile back and was told that it had to be kept on 24/7. Im gonna see about getting some of that medicine to see if it will help him get flushed out. Funny enough I got him from a Petsmart and called them a few days ago to figure out what they would do since obviously the problem was their fault and called again today and found out that all of their beaded dragons are in isolation because of *health issues* so I told them that they needed to take care of this or else I was bringing them my vet bills. Well the people there were VERY rude and never gave me any answers and kept giving me the run around so I wound up calling their corperate office who said I would be notified in 24 hours. What these people dont get is that little Herbert has already become like family, my 3 year old LOVES him as do I, and we want him better. I am trying to figure out how to afford taking him to the vet, so we shall see. Anyways thank you again for the help. He has been eating the food supplement when I put it on his nose (its mixed with pedialite) then an hour later I place him in the tub where he then drinks a ton of water so I hope he is feeling slightly better, he doesnt look as skinny but still worries me =[. sorry this is soo long again.

ArdorAndZeal1

Hatchling Member
another vote of confidence for chain pet stores... :angry5:
-
its great that you see your BD as part of the family and not piece of furniture to look at like some Stores/people do.
-
I dont know the right way of "Self-medicating" your dragon, but I know it can be done if you know what you are doing.

I ended up hand feeding and giving antibiotics to my BDs for a week, after they showed clinical symptoms of Adenovirus that they were born with. only had them for a month, but it was so hard. and I spent $500 on vet bills, and the Pet Store - That fish place, That Pet Place in PA, after my Girlfriend called (shes feisty) said they would only give me a refund if i brought in their bodies...

so ya, thats why I care so much about BD's, and love this community site.
---

keep us poSTED!!! maybe the pet store can tell you how they are treating their BDs so you can get a better lead??

HerbieandOzzysmomma

Original Poster
Ok so last night after I gave Herbie some pedalite, while he was on my hand his whole body started to shake? I got him to stop by petting him but when I put him in his cage he did it about 3 more times all while he is stairing at me (which broke my heart). He went to the bathroom, pooped and peed and there was still some blood in it. I was freaking out at the fact that he was shaking, I was afraid his was going to die. Has anyone had this happen before or know why it happened? I dont know much about small beardies except what Ive been reseaching on here the past couple days, my other beardie (Ozzy) was already an adult when I got him. I replaced the UVB to the 10 one and he is now on non adhesive liner instead of paper towels or sand...

PLEASE HELP I DONT WANT MY LITTLE GUY TO DIE!!! =[

Im calling PetsMart again today because they didnt call me back and Im going to tell them that Im taking him to the vet before work today and that THEY WILL be paying the bill.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I have dealt with stools with blood. If this persists, you are going to have to take him to the vet. Blood in the stool, is caused either by impaction of sand or other loose particulate, or hookworms, or liver or kidney problems. There really are not many reasons that cause blood in the stools.
Try to keep him eating only soft foods like pumpkin, squash babyfood, & plenty of oral fluids. Do not feed him any solid foods right now until we figure out what is going on. Do you feel any lumps in his belly when you massage his belly?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom