Prolapsed Hemipene?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was giving my five month old bearded dragon a bath, and she was struggling a little to use the bathroom. So, I assisted her gently lifting her tail. Her hemipene popped out, and popped back in within 10/20 seconds. I think I’m mostly just freaked out, but is she okay? I put her back in her cage to bask, and within moments she jumped down and started running around, which is normal behavior for her.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you have pictures of your dragon? Is your dragon male or female? You had mentioned
her so if she is female a prolapse will be something else but not a hemipene. Just making
sure so we can help your dragon better.
If the area retracted back in then hopefully she should be alright but just watch her closely
right now.
Are you using a good UVB light & calcium supplementation?

Tracie

oliver21917

Original Poster
Drache613":3e9x4xvx said:
Hello,

Do you have pictures of your dragon? Is your dragon male or female? You had mentioned
her so if she is female a prolapse will be something else but not a hemipene. Just making
sure so we can help your dragon better.
If the area retracted back in then hopefully she should be alright but just watch her closely
right now.
Are you using a good UVB light & calcium supplementation?

Tracie

I have pictures of my dragon, but none of her vent. I’m 99.9% sure she’s a female, unless she’s hiding her parts real well, due to her age. I owned a male once, and I could tell he was male due to his large pores and two bulges.
I didn’t know it was called something else, oops. I wonder what that would have been then. Could it have been her female part?

I dose her with calcium 5/6 times a week, plus a multivitamin. She gets gutloaded dubias, and loves collard greens. Her uvb is a reptisun 10 t5.

She’s acting normal today, no weird movements, or sighs of pain. She’s eating and running around her enclosure like usual.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing today?
If she prolapsed slightly, that was likely just a rectal type of prolapse which can happen. It
happens sometimes if they are passing a larger stool or have hard urates. If it went back in
then as long as it doesn't continually happen she should be just fine.
That is great to hear you are using the Reptisun 10 T5 tube. Be sure it is around 10-12 inches
from her, unobstructed.
How old is she?

Tracie

oliver21917

Original Poster
Drache613":jag5dk18 said:
Hello,

How is your girl doing today?
If she prolapsed slightly, that was likely just a rectal type of prolapse which can happen. It
happens sometimes if they are passing a larger stool or have hard urates. If it went back in
then as long as it doesn't continually happen she should be just fine.
That is great to hear you are using the Reptisun 10 T5 tube. Be sure it is around 10-12 inches
from her, unobstructed.
How old is she?

Tracie

Sorry, for the late reply. She is doing great! Huge appetite, and a ball of energy.
I’ve think if she sits at the very top of her branch, it is about 7 inches away? Maybe a little more. However, it’s a 34 inch with the 36 inch fixture.
She is 5 months!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great news she is doing well then! At least she hasn't had anymore issues & is eating
a lot now, too. It sounds like she will be just fine, & thankfully there wasn't any emergency.
Your UVB lighting placement sounds good then but if it's a T5, you will want to have it at around
a 10 or so distance..
Let us know if she has anymore trouble!

Tracie.

oliver21917

Original Poster
Drache613":28tox8rf said:
Hello,

That is great news she is doing well then! At least she hasn't had anymore issues & is eating
a lot now, too. It sounds like she will be just fine, & thankfully there wasn't any emergency.
Your UVB lighting placement sounds good then but if it's a T5, you will want to have it at around
a 10 or so distance..
Let us know if she has anymore trouble!

Tracie.

Unfortunately, it happened again this Thursday and never went back in. I tried soaking her, and putting lubricant on it.

I took her to the vet and they were able to put it back inside, as well as stitch her up. Sent her home with anti inflammatorys as well. She’ll have the stitches taken out next week.

I’m slightly concerned because the vets said not to give her any dubias for this week, and just give her greens. She’s not even 6 months..

She’s still very active at the moment, but hasn’t been interested in the greens. Today she took a bite, but was put off by the vitamin and calcium powder. I’ve never sprinkled it on her greens before today, just her bugs.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, I am sorry to hear that!
How often are you giving her calcium, perhaps her GI tract muscles are a bit weak which
can cause prolapse problems.
Which UVB light are you using right now?
You can give chicken or turkey baby food mixed with some greens or squash baby food,
too so she gets nutrition but it is softer & easier to pass through right now.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom