4 year old beardie not eating or drinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rextheman

I have a four year old that is super lazy & just doesn’t want to eat on his own or even when I try to hand feed him, he doesn’t drink his water… what do I do ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
How long has he been this way? Please tell me what your using for a UVB and the placement - what are your basking temps and how are you taking them? NO stick ons please

Rextheman

Original Poster
On & off since I got him 3-4 months ago. He has the T5 HO high output lamp & the powersun bulb, basking temps are 98.4 & with a thermometer inside the cage

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Where is the T 5 -- top of screen or inside the tank? Distance and placement is key here

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your tank is too small for a full size dragon --- please get him into a 75-120 gallon tank --- the T 5 is pretty strong for a 10 gallon tank -- its more suited for a 40 + gallon tank --- also the screen is going to block 30% of the UVB rays ---- but your priority should be getting him out of the 10 gallon tank -- basking temps are too hard to keep in small tanks -- if you haft to get him into a temporary 20 gallon plastic tote for now but that 10 gallon is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to small --- look on Craigslist or FB marketplace for a used tank if you haft to but please get him out of the 10 gallon -- my guess the temps are not correct if being taken w/ a stick on thermometer you need a digital probe to get accurate basking temps -- and a Powersun in a 10 gallon tank is too strong --- please get a regular bright white basking bulb -- at this point between the small tank and the power sun and the T 5 your over UVBing him ---- please do this ASAP--- this is why your dragon is not eating --- please get some water into him by either bathing or dropping water on his nose to see if he will lick -- the temps and the UVB are the most important things in the tank but they need to be correct

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you have any pictures of your dragon, along with your tank setup for him?
Which T5 tube bulb are you using, which brand is it?
The Powersun is a good MVB & is usually not very strong so as long as it is mounted
at an acceptable distance they can be used together.
At a 10 gallon tank size, the Powersun is pretty powerful to be used with the T5 tube bulb.
Are you able to upgrade to a larger tank, possibly a 40 gallon tank?

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, did you mean a 100 gallon tank ? A 10 gallon is too small even for a baby. Post some pics of the entire set up as well as the dragon to show what you have. I saw your previous thread about his eye problem, is that any better ? Please do post pics , we'll try to help your buddy.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing, any updates for us?
Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please get a digital probe thermometer and place on the spot where he sits for basking --- temp should be 95-100 --- what is the distance for the T 5 to the hammock?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is the thermometer a stick on if so its giving ambient temps --- you need a digital probe
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/zoo-med-reptile-terrarium-digital-thermometer-14914.html?cgid=500202
use this to get approx distance for the UVB it needs to be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
I use this stuff its like a Velcro strap cut into strips wrap around the fixture -- it works great

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abby999
Top Bottom