Please help! Swollen eye that discretes thick mucus

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick73

Hi, my bearded dragon rick has been developing a swollen eye. It all started with a watery eye, I immediately brought him to the vet and they gave me antibiotic shots and pain meds. When his eye started to the water I did notice what had looked like a small shed stuck in his eye, I took it out carefully but his eye was still watering. This was April 28th, I gave all meds as instructed and then brought him back on May 19th for a check-up. His eye had gotten more swollen and it started to shed. I was (and still am) doing warm eye compressions daily to help his eye shed and get out the mucus.
Once he got the vet though, all the shed was off, the vet took notice of how swollen it had actually gotten and said an eye infection was ruled out and now it's either a tumor or aneurysm... She also stated that where the " could be" tumor is, would involve scooping all the eyes and part of the brain out, and if it was an aneurysm nothing could be done. She told me to continue doing warm eye compressions and if he seemed in pain to bring him back in. As of now and before he still acts normal, this includes eating, sleeping, roaming, etc.
He lives in a 75 gallon tank by himself, two hides, tiled (a small area has paper towels since he prefers to use the bathroom on paper towels), his temps are 95 in hot and 80 in cool, humidity is 35%. He eats collard greens with pollen (bc hes picky), superworms, crickets, and on occassions hornworms.
Even though I brought him to a vet, I would like to seek others' opinions on whats my next options. The only options that were given to me were surgery if it is a tumor. I hate to see him like this and I wanna do anything possible to help. I'm willing to get the surgery done but will having part of his brain and one left leave him in pain/ to struggle for the rest of his life? I don't want to be selfish and do everything possible to keep him alive but cause more pain in the end. The pics I attached where in the beginning where it was shedding in the middle of the process, and today (before I did the daily warm compressions and after in the middle you can kind of see the thick discharge/mucus). I can still feel his eye move under neath but he can't open it anymore.
111524-6125684115.jpg
111524-6904873866.jpg
111524-4314416968.jpg

Gail

BD.org Addict
Poor baby. Did the vet ever sedate him and actually examine his eye?
I'd be looking for a second opinion. Eye removal is a drastic option, especially if he hasn't been examined closely for a foreign body or growth.

rick73

Original Poster
Gail":czhevhb2 said:
Poor baby. Did the vet ever sedate him and actually examine his eye?
I'd be looking for a second opinion. Eye removal is a drastic option, especially if he hasn't been examined closely for a foreign body or growth.

She didn't sedate him but she did slightly pry his eye open to look inside, this is when it wasn't swollen as bad. She said the eye felt slightly firm.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
In case I missed it what are you using for a UVB? Coil or a tube fixture and where in the tank is it?

rick73

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3tp3y4ed said:
In case I missed it what are you using for a UVB? Coil or a tube fixture and where in the tank is it?
Sunblaster 904296 NanoTech T5 High Output Fixture Reflector Combo, 2-Feet
Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 HO T5 UVB Lamp, 24 W, 22" L
WUHOSTAM 2 Pack 150W Ceramic Heat Lamp
The heat lamp is 2 inches above the tank (way above his hide but enough to keep the temp at the right lvl) The UVB sits about 10 inches above the tank itself.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so your using 2 UVB's ? How big is the tank --- you really only need one UVB and it should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor if its inside the tank ---- if its on top of the screen the screen MUST BE a wide hole type -- 8-10 inches ---- so w/that being said eye issues can be caused by UVB and basking lights -- you are only using a ceramic heat emitter ? Please get a bright white basking bulb --- heat emitters do not emit the UVA that the dragon needs ---- get something like this https://www.chewy.com/exo-terra-intense-basking-reptile/dp/123932?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn9rPp8HP8QIVj3xvBB29ZQrzEAAYAiAAEgJ9pPD_BwE
your dragon needs this to start digestion --- you want to mimic the sun -- please do this ASAP-- as far as the eye I am not sure what is causing the eye issue -- please get your lighting in order and see if the eye does not clear up -- I would take one of those UVB's out of the tank --- one is sufficient

rick73

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1h6b8do6 said:
Ok so your using 2 UVB's ? How big is the tank --- you really only need one UVB and it should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor if its inside the tank ---- if its on top of the screen the screen MUST BE a wide hole type -- 8-10 inches ---- so w/that being said eye issues can be caused by UVB and basking lights -- you are only using a ceramic heat emitter ? Please get a bright white basking bulb --- heat emitters do not emit the UVA that the dragon needs ---- get something like this https://www.chewy.com/exo-terra-intense-basking-reptile/dp/123932?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn9rPp8HP8QIVj3xvBB29ZQrzEAAYAiAAEgJ9pPD_BwE
your dragon needs this to start digestion --- you want to mimic the sun -- please do this ASAP-- as far as the eye I am not sure what is causing the eye issue -- please get your lighting in order and see if the eye does not clear up -- I would take one of those UVB's out of the tank --- one is sufficient

I am only using one UVB it is 2 feet long and covers the whole tank. I forgot to mention that I switch out bright white bulb during the day and use the heat emitter for night to help him sleep. There is no mesh or screen on top of his tank. He cannot climb out and nothing goes in unless its food, water, or my hand. I adjusted the UVB now hopefully that helps. I use the Zoo Med PowerSun UV Bulb, 160 Watt

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The Power Sun could be the issue --- please swap it out for a regular bright white basking bulb ---you are the second person I have posted to today w/ the same issue using the same bulb --- please do this and see if the eye starts to clear up --- get something like a Exo Terra Intense basking bulb -- this is going to be trial and error ---

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry he is having such trouble!
I do think it might be a good idea to get another opinion. Depending on the placement of
the tumor it it is a tumor, tissue loss should be minimal. It wouldn't necessarily mean he
should have his eye removed. Did they mention it possibly could be an abscess?
Did they not give any eye ointment for him? Try getting some chamomile tea bags & use
that for a warm compress, moistened, nightly as he is going to bed. Leave it on for around
10 or so minutes & be sure to cover it with a cloth to hold in a bit of warmth.
Can you post a few pictures of your tank setup so we can take a look at it?

Tracie

rick73

Original Poster
Drache613":2fo2igi4 said:
Hello,

I am sorry he is having such trouble!
I do think it might be a good idea to get another opinion. Depending on the placement of
the tumor it it is a tumor, tissue loss should be minimal. It wouldn't necessarily mean he
should have his eye removed. Did they mention it possibly could be an abscess?
Did they not give any eye ointment for him? Try getting some chamomile tea bags & use
that for a warm compress, moistened, nightly as he is going to bed. Leave it on for around
10 or so minutes & be sure to cover it with a cloth to hold in a bit of warmth.
Can you post a few pictures of your tank setup so we can take a look at it?

Tracie

The tumor is right on his eye, she did mention it could be an abscess but since its hard, she mainly thinks tumor or aneurysm. They didn't give any ointment for his eye just pain meds and the shots for swelling. I will definitely pick up some tea bags soon thank you for the advice.
111524-8051377283.jpg
The tank has no white light for the basking light at the moment as I am waiting for the other light bulb to come in from chewy as recommended. Lights are up 12 inches as well and the thermometer and hygrometer are only in there for now so I can monitor the temp.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your UVB is way to high the dragon is not getting any UVB at all w/ the way it is placed -- you need a fixture for that UVB I recommend you get a 24" fixture for the size of your tank like a Zoo Med or Sunblaster or a Arcadia --- w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia 12% bulb --- please do this ASAP--- here are some links to find those fixtures
https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-T5-Ho-Terrarium-Hood/dp/B00CX5HXI2/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2J3BF89GA8PE5&dchild=1&keywords=zoo+med+24+inch+uvb+bulb+fixture&qid=1625691373&sprefix=Zoo+Med+24%22+%2Caps%2C189&sr=8-2 you need a 22" Reptisun 10.0 bulb
https://www.amazon.com/Sunblaster-Output-Fluorescent-Strip-2-Feet/dp/B00AKKULI6/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=pro+t5+24%22+fixture&qid=1625691444&sr=8-7
https://www.reptilebasics.com/t5-light-fixtures/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit-24-with-bulb/ 12% bulb

rick73

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3a06w4up said:
Your UVB is way to high the dragon is not getting any UVB at all w/ the way it is placed -- you need a fixture for that UVB I recommend you get a 24" fixture for the size of your tank like a Zoo Med or Sunblaster or a Arcadia --- w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia 12% bulb --- please do this ASAP--- here are some links to find those fixtures
https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-T5-Ho-Terrarium-Hood/dp/B00CX5HXI2/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2J3BF89GA8PE5&dchild=1&keywords=zoo+med+24+inch+uvb+bulb+fixture&qid=1625691373&sprefix=Zoo+Med+24%22+%2Caps%2C189&sr=8-2 you need a 22" Reptisun 10.0 bulb
https://www.amazon.com/Sunblaster-Output-Fluorescent-Strip-2-Feet/dp/B00AKKULI6/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=pro+t5+24%22+fixture&qid=1625691444&sr=8-7
https://www.reptilebasics.com/t5-light-fixtures/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit-24-with-bulb/ 12% bulb
Hi, I raised the light up to 12 inches because previously you said I should raise it up. Should I lower it back down? I did measure the height from the top and it's exactly 12 inches. Also, the bulb I'm using is the reptisun T5 10.0.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It needs to be 12-15 inches from the basking decor piece- please lower it way down to the tank--- directly above the basking piece- you misunderstood me--- please post another pic when you get it re positioned

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I would try to get that tube bulb mounted into a light fixture so that the UVB light is directed
more downward instead of glaring outwards without direction.
So they did confirm that there is a tumor or suspicious of a tumor? I hope that you are able
to get this taken care of. How is his eye looking today?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom