Help!! My baby has a swollen and red leg

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if it's broken or if she has early MBD but the exotic vet cannot see him for two weeks!!! I am going to call my local vet tomorrow to see if they take exotics and ask about antibiotics if they do but what can I do? He is eating and pooping great and is still very active but his right front leg is limp. He favors it for sure but still somewhat moves it. He was dragging it a few days ago but it wasn't swollen like this!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you have any pictures of your dragon you could post?
Could she have fallen off of something in her tank & hurt her leg?
Please review your nutrition & supplementation with us so we can be sure everything is
good. Which UVB light are you using currently?
If she is having a hard time walking, it would be a good idea to lower the basking area
for her so she doesn't have to climb as much to bask & get her UVB.
Let us know if you are able to get her in to see a vet.

Tracie

Ladyzombie9294

Original Poster
Hi! I am using a 10.0 uvb coil and am replacing that this week. I am a brand new beardie mom and did not know the coils were bad.

I am feeding bsfl as his main staple diet (he eats roughly 30 a day) and I feed chopped veggies (basil, carrots, red pepper, zucchini) and flower topper food. I coat the bsfl in calcium powder and have rapashy calcium plus coming today.

I think he jumped off his basking rock.
He is walking fine just not using that keg a whole lot.

He poops normal and eats great and is showing no signs of pain.

There are no open wounds that I see.

It is almost 5am. My vet opens at 8am and I will be calling them to see what I can do. I called an emergency vet but they don't view this as an emergency and told me I can schedule an appointment for July 17th.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please stop dusting the BSFL --- too much calcium---- they are calcium enriched---- what UVB are you getting? If he hurt his leg from the jump I would lower the decor piece or take it out so he cant jump off of it anymore --- your UVB is going to help w/ the healing process but it MUST be a good one -- shut the coil off --- did you order a Zoo Med or Sunblaster or Arcadia fixture w/ the Reptisun 10.0 bulb or Arcadia 12% bulb?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your baby doing today?
As Karrie suggested, try one of the tube bulbs for a much higher quality of UVB. He has
probably injured himself somehow, if his structure is a bit weakened by not enough UVB.
They are unable to properly absorb their calcium & other nutrients without good enough
UVB exposure.
Is he getting around any better or still limping around?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Ladyzombie9294

Original Poster
Hello, he is doing great. He moves around better with little to no limp but his leg is still swollen and has bruising. He is acting normal with no issues. I am taking him to the vet Wednesday to find out what's going on. In the meantime, is there anything I can do here to help reduce swelling?

I am switching to a tube light this weekend. I want to get the 24 inch Reptisun with the 10.0 uvb bulb.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please post back on here when you get the UVB so I can help you place it in the tank--- that is going to help w/ the healing process - Tracie needs to help.w/ the swelling issue

Ladyzombie9294

Original Poster
I have to order one online, the pet stores here don't sell the one I need so I will not have the uvb for at least a week minimum :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Are you able to post some pictures for us, how is the leg looking?
If you can, try to get him outside for daily sessions in the sunshine. That will greatly help
since you aren't getting the UVB quite yet.
Is he eating very much right now?

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Click on the XIMG above the message box and see if they are downloaded if they are then click on the pic --- if not you will need to start w/ the link I posted and go from there ---

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Still a little swollen --- do you have a hammock in the tank ? If so I would remove it --- they are notorious for getting their claws stuck and then pull them causing injury---- what kind of UVB are you using? Brand and bulb and where in the tank is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom