Distressed dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peteb

My beardie has been going through a shed. A couple days ago I noticed a spot on her head where she was shedding that appeared as a small wound. It was not bleeding but had an appearance of being scabbed over. I’m not sure if she injured herself when scrapping against her log, or rocks.

Last night I thought it would be helpful to give her a bath. Maybe the shed around her injury would loosen? After her bath I returned her to her terrarium. When I checked on her she had somehow ripped open her wound! There was blood throughout her terrarium I had to clean and she is now highly stressed.

When cleaning her wound she puffed her beard causing her wound to spray more blood. At this point I felt like I was causing her more stress so I decided to leave her alone. The wound is not actively bleeding.

She crawled into a corner then her lights went out for the night. She has her mouth open and eyes open. I have never her seen her like this before. I was even afraid she might be dead as I could not see her actively breathing. I touched her and she did jump, but all night remained with her mouth and eyes open.

Her lights will not turn on for another couple hours, and I am hoping she springs back to life when they do. I am very concerned but today is Sunday and I have no options for an exotic pet vet until Monday.

Can beardies go into a catatonic like state when highly distressed?

She has a 150 watt basking bulb at one end and an 18” uvb fluorescent bulb as well. She has a reptile substrate mat, some flat basking rocks, a log and her food and water dishes in her terrarium.

Any feedback on what I should be doing would be appreciated! Thank you!

Peteb

Original Poster
***UPDATE***

It seems Bernie my beardie has died. I’m not sure if her injury was the cause, or a symptom of something else going on. It never appeared as that large of a lesion. ???

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
That is terrible--- how sad to have something like that happen--- and so sudden - was there any black bearding going on? You said distressed -- if in distress they usually are showing a black beard

Peteb

Original Poster
No black beard. I feel terrible - maybe giving her a bath was a bad idea with the lesion? I feel like I caused her death. She was such a sweet girl. I also lost my dog this past week. What a horrible week ……. ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I guess --- :cry: -- but I know how you feel -- 2 weeks ago we lost my sons dog 100 miles from where we live - it was at my BIL's place - she was gone for 4 days - we did manage to find her thank god -- my son was devastated --- so it seems when it rains it pours things happening all at once--- I wouldnt beat your self up about her - you did the best you could --- it comes on all of a sudden w/ them and your left in shock

Peteb

Original Poster
Thanks- I appreciate your support. My son also was just turning a corner after the death of our dog. It was just horrible timing for his beardie’s death. It just happened very quickly. She seemed to be doing great until very recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom