My beardie Atlas' eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

wendysn63

Hatchling Member
Atlas has clear drainage from his left eye. It does look kinda different from the right but there is no obvious sign of injury or discolored. We have mats not loose substrate. Can anyone help me out here? We have just spent around $500 on healthcare for our field dragon Simi who seems to be under the weather so if there's any home remedy we can do for Atlas any feedback would be greatly appreciated

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
A lot of times eye issues are caused by coil bulbs any kind -- loose substrate or certain MVB's -- and colored bulbs--- are you using any of those?

wendysn63

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Actual we took your advice and don't use coil bulbs however, we have one of them purple lights used only at night but, he doesn't stay in the enclosure every night. Also we are not using substrate...we have a mat for the enclosure.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Get rid of the purple bulb-- they can cause long term eye damage ---- see if the eye clears up -- in the mean time try using some regular saline no contact lens stuff wash out the eye then get some raw unpasteurized honey like Manuka honey example and apply to the eye --- it is a antibacterial and will kill any infection going on - apply w/a q tip and DO NOT leave any crickets in the tank -- they will go straight for the eye --- if that does not clear the problem up a trip to the vet would be in order

wendysn63

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay we will certainly lose the purple bulb. We never feed bugs to our babies in the enclosure. Once in a while we let them take a hornworm but they jump at taking them out of our hands. Thank you Karrie. You and cooperdragon have been very helpful since we've been using this site.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

A lot of people use Halogen flood or spot PAR38 bulbs that are very bright & do tend to get
hot so they are perfect for basking light. Colored lights are hard on their eyes simply because
the pupil dilates because there isn't enough brightness to allow the pupil to fully constrict.
Have you been flushing out the eye with sterile saline solution to see if that helps out?

Tracie

wendysn63

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I just got a hold of some saline solution this morning and it is not the contact stuff but it doesn't say exactly saline on it it's a sterile eye wash of 99% pureified water and only like 1% of whatever they're using for saline at any rate I've done that twice today so far I hope it will work out

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That sounds perfect to use for him. The sterile saline wash should help out. Is his eye
looking better?
You can use that a couple of times per day or as needed. Let us know how things are
going for him!

Tracie

wendysn63

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well I got the purple light out of his house and it looks like this morning that he doesn't have as much leakage this morning and I am optimistic. I want to thank you guys for giving the advice. We love Atlas so much, and he thanks you all as well

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would use the saline solution on it till he stops w/ the leakage- does his eye look infected? Swelling? Or puffy? Or just leaking?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok well keep an eye on it -- the puffiness could be shed coming on- they will puff out --- but w/ the leaking of the eye please watch it -- post back on here if you have more concerns about the eye

wendysn63

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So his eye looks like it lost the little puffiness that it had and it seems as though the leakage is more after he wakes up than later in the day but I have been cleaning it twice a day and using the Manuka honey as suggested. He hasn't eaten the last four days and I'm wondering if the eye issue is keeping him from doing so?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is good to hear your dragon's eye is starting to look better now. It may take awhile
for it to go back to normal.
If his eye has been bothering him that can affect his appetite, sure. Keep trying to get him
to eat because you don't want him to lose too much weight.

Tracie

wendysn63

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Atlas' eye looked really good this morning but, he still hasn't eaten anything. How long should I wait before I determine to force feed him? If I should even force feed him at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom