Possible Heart Disease + yellow fungus + pneumonia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emilio

Hi! This has been a very hard road with our poor girl Ori. We have been to the vet so many times with not much luck. As soon as we figure out how to fix one thing something else arises. We almost lost her after a throat flush under anesthesia because she wound up having horrible pneumonia that they could not diagnose months prior.

After a month of nebulizer with meds plus meloxicam and doxicyclin orally we rushed her to the vet ER last weekend due to a blister that popped above her lip and what seems like raw patches above her eye and back of her head.

We were sent home after waiting 6 hours with eye drops and ointment. All that seams to do is make her look oily. We finally went to see our regular vet for a follow up a few days later and he did a sonogram and thinks she has heart disease based on all her issues. So now we are not only trying to clear up her pneumonia and her skin but also have her on a diaretic shot in the back of her arm daily to help with the heart disease.

This poor girl is only 5 and it’s been so stressful for her. We are doing everything we can to keep her safe and healthy. Tank temps are good at 100 in her hot spot and 70-80 in her cool spot. She has water and food available, soaking her 3x a day due to injection may cause dehydration.

Her appetite has decreased to almost nothing due to the pain in her face. It’s like she wants to eat but it hurts to much.

The vet is trying he really cares and is doing what he can and even reaching out to others because he said he’s never seen so many issues in a bearded dragon.

Has anyone ever had issues like this. I saw one post of a 15 year old having a burn mark on his head but it eventually peeled off. Hers are to the point of scales are gone and it’s raw. I just want her to feel better esp in her face so we can get the rest of her healthy. Help.

Emilio

Original Poster
86552-6835462078.jpg

Photo of her face where raw skin is under her eye. White part of here eye seems to be where her skin is healing above but pull her eye lip up. Raw skin above her ear as well where it all started.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would get some raw unpasteurized honey on the skin like Manuka honey it does wonders --- just make sure there are NO crickets left in the tank ---- for the other part we are going to need Tracie to help out here she is out vet tech mod on late at nite -- do you have Xrays or blood work that you can post that she can look at --- dosages for meds shes on --- post this stuff so she can go over it w/ you and see if she can advise or give pointers to help you out w/ her
What are you using for a UVB? Brand and bulb and where in the tank is it? This is so vital to the over all health of the dragon along w/ basking temps-- what are they and how are you taking them? NO stickons please

Emilio

Original Poster
KarrieRee":evahpvvi said:
I would get some raw unpasteurized honey on the skin like Manuka honey it does wonders --- just make sure there are NO crickets left in the tank ---- for the other part we are going to need Tracie to help out here she is out vet tech mod on late at nite -- do you have Xrays or blood work that you can post that she can look at --- dosages for meds shes on --- post this stuff so she can go over it w/ you and see if she can advise or give pointers to help you out w/ her
What are you using for a UVB? Brand and bulb and where in the tank is it? This is so vital to the over all health of the dragon along w/ basking temps-- what are they and how are you taking them? NO stickons please

Thank you. I keep seeing about the honey option. Of course our vet is not available until Monday now so I’m nervous to add anything poor girl. I will try to fill as much info as I can that you listed in detail. I don’t have her xrays or blood work details on hand, the vet has those records. I can email to see if they can send them over. Knowing exactly what to ask for would be helpful because her file is quite large.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
All lab work done if possible the most extensive thats been covered - X rays - any type of ultrasounds-- medication dosages of what shes on now or was on recently-- how far away is the basking bulb ? It should not be closer than 6 " ---- UVB brand and bulb please -- her eyes dont look swollen or any secretions coming out -- why was eye drops given? Too close of basking bulb will cause burns and UVB coils will cause eye issues --- these things I am asking for are crucial -- basking temps how are you taking them --- UVB controls the over all health of the dragon

Emilio

Original Poster
KarrieRee":20o8ebd9 said:
All lab work done if possible the most extensive thats been covered - X rays - any type of ultrasounds-- medication dosages of what shes on now or was on recently-- how far away is the basking bulb ? It should not be closer than 6 " ---- UVB brand and bulb please -- her eyes dont look swollen or any secretions coming out -- why was eye drops given? Too close of basking bulb will cause burns and UVB coils will cause eye issues --- these things I am asking for are crucial -- basking temps how are you taking them --- UVB controls the over all health of the dragon

86552-7313724956.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please get some honey on that right away-- NO crickets in the tank -- what wattage are you using for basking? Temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-- no closer than 6" -- and UVB?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, poor girl! And I feel so bad for the stress you're going though as the owner. I agree with Karrie on the raw unpasteurized honey and I would get her off all meds. ASAP, especially the injections. That is probably causing stress + weakening her immune system and all the antibiotics may also have wiped out her gut flora which will allow fungal conditions to flourish.

When she had pneumonia, how exactly did she act, did she eat, etc and how was her breathing ?

Emilio

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3v4l06o9 said:
Please get some honey on that right away-- NO crickets in the tank -- what wattage are you using for basking? Temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-- no closer than 6" -- and UVB?

I was just checking her temp and while it was 100 this morning it’s about 108 in her basking spot with 29% humidity. It’s a digital thermometer. It’s just started to really warm up here so we may need to drop her down to a 100 watt bulb.

She has zoo med lights. Her uv bulbs are 10uv.

The meds she is currently on-
Doxycycline 0.25cc orally once a day for the pneumonia
Meloxicam 0.3cc orally once a day she is stopping this in a day or two.
Furosemide 50mg - 0.02cc injected into her arm once a day. Newest addition for heart disease.
Ofoxcin drop for her eye - once a day Probably can stop this.
Terramycin - once a day or as needed. Probably can stop this esp if we use the honey.

The eye drop was because originally it was a wound when we went to the ER. She scratched her faced dealing with the blister and it caused a scar that she eventually ripped off and it was bleeding. So they wanted to make sure it didn’t get infected. That actually looks better. It’s the rawness from where the blister was that is hurting her. But it also looks like her eye healed and pulled the skin on her eyelid causing her eye to not close fully.

I left a message for my vet about the honey. I keep seeing it I just am so scared to keeep adding to her list of meds. And I know stress is the biggest issue esp if it is hear disease.

Emilio

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2hx1jcbk said:

While waiting on her info from the vet. They did say her heartbeat was really fast at 90 when it should be closer to 20-40. Meanwhile online it says 60-80 is normal.

When it was the pneumonia we were just trying to fix she still had a big appetite. She just gargled and gulped a bunch. She seems to stop doing that and was getting better for a while there lost some of her weight too. But it’s just went down hill after the first raw patch appeared and they thought is was irritation from the meds in the nebulizer.

This is just so heartbreaking. Meanwhile we have a male in another tank that is easy breezy. No issues besides having to stay on top of his teeth. I just want her to not hurt. She’s a tough girl but she’s hurting and you try to help but she gets stressed.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Believe me the honey will do wonders- but you need to get it on--- the UVB is what brand and bulb please? No coils!!! They are inadequate! Distance and placement is key here depending on the tube--

Emilio

Original Poster
86552-9655074682.jpg
KarrieRee":1vnhq01d said:
Believe me the honey will do wonders- but you need to get it on--- the UVB is what brand and bulb please? No coils!!! They are inadequate! Distance and placement is key here depending on the tube--

Emilio

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1bx8muby said:

Also can you send me a link to the Manuka honey you recommend. There are different kinds so I don’t want to get the wrong one. Also how often do you apply it and how to clean it when she is super sensitive isn’t it sticky.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes google it or look in your organic sections - any raw unpasteurized honey will work- and yes it's sticky but it's a good antibacterial and will kill infections plus it promotes healing- I would apply it twice a day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom