My beardie has very puffy eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
111253-5054660309.jpg
For about the last few months, we noticed our Pufferson has very swollen eyes. We took him into the vet and they found he had parasites. We gave him all his antibiotic for that, but still need to take him in for a follow up but they told us his eyes could be due to his diet. Little calcium, too many super worms.

His blood test came back perfect so no kidney problems like we thought. Wondering if anyone knows why his eyes are this bulgey. Maybe it's normal? But looks uncomfortable for him ?I noticed he's had skin that won't shed on the very top of his head between his eyes but not sure that's the problem. Any suggestions would help! Thank you *picture should be shown here*

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It could be shedding coming on they will get puffy like that but first I want to go over the UVB your using ---- please tell me the brand and bulb is it a coil or a tube and where in the tank is it?

Pufferson2017

Original Poster
111253-6392814200.jpg
It's a reptisun 10.0. About 10 inches over the top of the log that he lays on. We think it might have to do with the infection that showed up in his blood work but the vet didn't know where the infection was, they couldn't see where. I forgot about that, my husband just reminded me. We have been giving an antibiotic for the next 3 weeks called Enroflox .075ccs once daily. Sometimes the swelling like today goes down, and sometimes it looks like his eyes are about to pop. This morning they have gone down. We eased off the antibiotic for a few days as a test and his eyes got swollen again. Could be a coincidence but we don't know.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your boy doing?
Did the vet feel there was infection in the eye area or a general infection to give the Baytril?
It looks like his eyes could be shedding so it might affect his eyes that way. You mentioned
that his eyes go down after giving the medication
How is his appetite?
Are you giving extra oral fluids too since he is on medication?

Tracie

Pufferson2017

Original Poster
Drache613 said:
Hello,

Thank you for your concerns! Puffs doing just fine today. He actually didn't go under his log to sleep all day long. We gave him a nice bath to try and help with his skin. The vet didn't say much about his eye. They weren't sure where the infection was located. I think you might be right in the shedding. We hadnt been soaking him often enough. But now we will. As for his appetite, he is not eating much. Just a few worms here and there. Used to love his mustard greens but only just sniffs it and looks away. My husband thinks it's the antibiotic giving him an upset stomach. We have been giving him water through a little syringe we have and he drank some in his bath yesterday. Do their eyes puff out like this when shedding around their head? His head seems lighter in color than his body so I'm wondering if that could be due to shedding..

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes about the color change- too much bathing will dry their scales out--- medication will effect appetite- I would vary his greens too when his appetite pucks back up dragons like variety

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes the color definitely is lighter in color when they are getting ready to shed. If he only
puffs his eyes from time to time but not all of the time then it is most likely due to an oncoming
shed. This is how they stretch out their skin.
You can try getting some non dairy acidophiliz or non dairy organic soy yogurt, to help settle his
tummy if needed for appetite boosting.

Tracie

Pufferson2017

Original Poster
KarrieRee":34ob3kye said:
Yes about the color change- too much bathing will dry their scales out--- medication will effect appetite- I would vary his greens too when his appetite pucks back up dragons like variety

Wonderful, thank you. I will vary his greens. I give him mustard greens and red leaf lettuce. We actually hadn't been bathing him enough so we have been trying 2 times a week. His eyes are actually less puff now and the shed is coming off of his head quite nicely. He's not as lethargic either.

Pufferson2017

Original Poster
Drache613":2iylkdmd said:
Hello,

Yes the color definitely is lighter in color when they are getting ready to shed. If he only
puffs his eyes from time to time but not all of the time then it is most likely due to an oncoming
shed. This is how they stretch out their skin.
You can try getting some non dairy acidophiliz or non dairy organic soy yogurt, to help settle his
tummy if needed for appetite boosting.

Tracie

Thank you for the suggestion with the yogurt. We might try that. He ate some greens yesterday but that was only because as he was eating a super worms I tricked him into chopper jg on a piece of mustard green haha. He seems to be doing a little better. We have been bathing him a few times this week and the shed is coming off better and the swelling of his eyes has gone down.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great to hear he seems to be doing a little better & that his eye swelling has gone
down. At least he is eating some greens also, hopefully he will start eating more of them.
So many of them are so stubborn about eating the vegetation.
I hope his shed finishes up for him soon!

Tracie

Kinato

111253-5054660309.jpg
For about the last few months, we noticed our Pufferson has very swollen eyes. We took him into the vet and they found he had parasites. We gave him all his antibiotic for that, but still need to take him in for a follow up but they told us his eyes could be due to his diet. Little calcium, too many super worms.

His blood test came back perfect so no kidney problems like we thought. Wondering if anyone knows why his eyes are this bulgey. Maybe it's normal? But looks uncomfortable for him ?I noticed he's had skin that won't shed on the very top of his head between his eyes but not sure that's the problem. Any suggestions would help! Thank you *picture should be shown here*
Give a bath and carefully trickle some bath water over his eyes. Do this for about 5/10 minutes so the shed softens. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom