beardie swallowed something he shouldnt have and bit me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
what do i do now?

hey! ive been on these forums for a while since ive gotten my boy for general help and if i need any questions answered, but i just ran into my own first issue with my beardie.

his names atticus, and hes usually a super sweet boy. today while i was letting him free roam, he somehow ran into a plastic end of a bandaid (the white bit you peel off when applying one) and started licking it. i saw it in time to try and stop him, but by the time he had it in his mouth, i couldnt get him to stop. after he got it in there, he opened his mouth for a second and me, not thinking twice, took my thumb and...stuck it in to try and maybe get it out. oops. he bit me HARD. the poor boy got my whole thumb AND cracked my nail a slight bit.

ive gone ahead and tended to and covered the bite, i cleaned it with warm water, soap, and applied an antibiotic after. checked for any loose teeth in my skin and cant find anything. it isnt bleeding anymore after the initial impact and cleaning, but my nail is split in half. the obvious thing to do is go to the doctors, but im up to date medically and cant see any outlying issues (finger turning purple or blue, loss of feeling, under the nail turning white)...i think im going to keep bandages applied and see if it heals.

my bigger concern, however, is the end of the bandaid he ate! he likes to lick stupid things, but i dont even know where this came from. i usually keep the area he roams very clean, so this is unexpected. will it pass? it was small enough for him to stick right into his mouth, and hes large, but is there any way i can get him to try and pass it soon? any methods to try or foods to feed him to get his stomach moving?

thanks yall - ive been using your services in private for a long time and im surprised im finally here asking for help myself.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wouldn't worry about the little piece of wax paper he ate at all. That will pass with no problem.

Bummer about your finger though, sounds like a pretty nasty bite. As long as you keep infection away like you'd want to do with any wound, you should be fine. Might take awhile for your fingernail to grow back to normal though if it's how I'm picture what you described.

-Brandon

manticorebug

Original Poster
Claudiusx":3q6lutao said:
I wouldn't worry about the little piece of wax paper he ate at all. That will pass with no problem.

Bummer about your finger though, sounds like a pretty nasty bite. As long as you keep infection away like you'd want to do with any wound, you should be fine. Might take awhile for your fingernail to grow back to normal though if it's how I'm picture what you described.

-Brandon
thanks much!

thats so good to hear, phew. i was freaking out a little because hes just fine now (basking, no black beard) but id hate for him to somehow get impacted. ill keep a lookout for his stool and see if anything odd comes out lol

and yup, my finger is probably just how youre imagining it. cuticle to tip, but its not painful and all looks fine! just sucks that ill have to grow it back allll over again...thank you so much again, i cant thank you enough. i panicked and knew this would be a good place to come to :D

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow that does sound painful indeed! Definitely keep your finger clean & it shouldn't get
infected but your nail will take awhile to heal. I hope it feels better soon.
They can eat some strange things but as Claudiusx mentioned, but the plastic bandage
wrap should hopefully not take too long to pass through!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom