Any help or guidance with my new dragon ‘Chachi’

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshKov4911

111236-321489801.jpg
111236-2955862531.jpg
Hello, my name is Ashlie and I’m a new dragon owner. I did what your told to never do, and that was purchase my dragon from PetSmart. ? I didn’t even go there to make a purchase of a dragon, it just sort of happened. I was literally just walking by and as I do any other trip, I always just stop and look, say hello, whatever lol. Well this little dragon ran to the glass and just followed me! I even left and came back and she did it again! I had to have her! So I brought her home.
They couldn’t tell me age, or sex when I purchased, but after much research and A LOT of back n’ fourth I’ve come to the conclusion that I have a female dragon who is about a month old. She’s about 5in length from head to tail. Not sure in weight just yet though. Stay tuned.
So with all of that being said, I’ve come here this evening because I am worried about her. She has had stress marks on her tummy and under her jawline pretty much since the day I brought her home. She was housed with several other beardies just as an FYI. Signs that I’m seeing and concerned about are..as I said stress marks on belly, dark skin, clawing at the glass, at times heavy breathing, and very lethargic.
She does eat at least! Crickets mostly, and wax worms (just to fatten her up) She has a basking lamp, and daylight bulb (should she have something different?) I’m not looking to get any sort of hate or get bashed. I honestly want to be doing the right thing, help this beautiful beardie, and give her a great life. Just any help at all would be great!
Thanks for your time!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome to beardie world--- stress marks are normal for her - shes in a big world and scared - give her time to adjust to the tank and surroundings -- what size tank is she in? We haft to get the lighting correct for her to survive most stores sell stuff that is NO good and will not benefit the dragon at all so we are going to go over what you need to make her thrive!! :)
First you need a good basking bulb that keeps temps 105-110 for her and that needs to be taken w/a digital probe thermometer https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/zoo-med-reptile-terrarium-digital-thermometer-14914.html?cgid=500202
basking bulb looks like this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/exo-terra-intense-basking-spot-light-14809.html?cgid=500202
these bulbs have certain placement and distances they need to be I will help you w/ that but I first need to know what size tank and the screen on it -- wide hole type or a fine mesh like a screen door
Next NO colored bulbs NO heat mats or rocks and NO sand ---
In order to keep her eating everything I posted above needs to be correct or she will quit eating all together -- these basking temps and UVB control the over all health and behavior of the dragon -- we can sex her after she gets to be about 6 months of age -- she is very young - we can over diet for her as well but first lets get the basking temps and UVB in order first

AshKov4911

Original Poster
Thank you so much for all of that info. She is in a 20"L x 10"W x 12"H terrarium with a wide hole cover. The lid cover it came with was more of a mesh and I changed it to a spare cover I had already. It just is more heavy duty in my opinion (hope that makes sense)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

No bashing here, you have come to the right place for help, we do our best!
She is very cute indeed. As Karrie mentioned, relocation stress does cause the stress in
them so do give her some time to become adjusted to her new home.
You will definitely need a good UVB as suggested. She simply wont do well for very long,
without one. They are crucial for growth & overall maintenance of health.
Chachi is a terrific name for her also. Let us know which UVB light you decide on. We will
be happy to help with the remainder of your lighting placement, setup, etc for you.
I'm sure she will be very happy with you.

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
AshKov4911":20wthlj7 said:
Thank you so much for all of that info. She is in a 20"L x 10"W x 12"H terrarium with a wide hole cover. The lid cover it came with was more of a mesh and I changed it to a spare cover I had already. It just is more heavy duty in my opinion (hope that makes sense)

Ok so your going to need to get her into a bigger tank like yesterday --- a 10 gallon tank is way to small -- please start looking for the minimum of 40 gallon-- you can check FB Marketplace or Craigslist for tanks - look for a 75-120 gallon tank one w/ front doors preferred-- if you find one on there make sure you sanitize it real good w/ some Zoo Meds Wipe Out or F 10 found on Walmart but it is spendy- it is also a concentrate
I would get the UVB ASAP- the one I posted you can use on the 10 gallon but you would need to use the 5.0 bulb that comes w/ the fixture for your 10 gallon -- that fixture can be used on any tank you get we just need the size of the tank to determine what bulb to use --- the 5.0 is not as strong as the 10.0 and would need to be used on smaller tanks - the 10.0 would need to be used on the 40 + gallon -- please let me know what your getting and post back on here when you get it so we can help you get it set up for what tank your using --

AshKov4911

Original Poster
Ok I’m on it! I’m looking at a 40gal right now. Found a used one, just waiting for a response. I’ve already the uvb hood light that you suggested. And I also ordered the thermometer. Should be here Saturday. Will she be ok until then?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes I am gonna help you set the UVB when you get it post back on here when it comes --- I will need to know what you ordered --

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Did you order the 14" or the 24" ? The 14" is going to be way to small for a tank of 40 gallons or bigger --- the tank is to small now for him

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The Reptisun 10 tube is fine. I couldn't get the link to open up but saw the title. I agree,
you will need the tube bulb to cover around three quarters in length of the tank for your
dragon.
How is Chachi doing today?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom