Swelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeJoah

Noticed this only two days ago... thought he was only beginning to use the restroom only for to notice the next morning it’s just there and he still had it. Third day in now I am really worried.
His name is Smaug and he is now a couple months over 2 years. 16 inches long.
111231-1995595242.jpg
111231-1400466464.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please get a digital probe thermometer -- the stick ons are inaccurate for basking temps -- if your using a IR gun I still recommend getting a digital probe as well -- what are you using for a UVB? If your using a MVB what brand and bulb please? -- He looks like hes impacted -- what are you feeding for a staple feeder and how big are the insects? Has he gone to the bathroom? Can you get a pic of his butt / vent please--- if this is the case NO ENEMAS if you go to the vet --- we can start w/ some natural laxatives to get him to go poop ----

DeJoah

Original Poster
Will look into getting one, any suggestions for digital probe thermometers? I do not have an IR gun for my personal use, my father has one but I wont be allowed to use it. I actually defiantly get one of those too because it be helpful for keeping track of temperature for as double caution for 3D printing stuff (Would want to over melt plastic or burn it).

As for UVB, I have 13 watt bulb from Thrive.

For staple food, I rotated every so often crickets (about they about a 1 in long range), carrots (I don't have anything else), and some red feeder kibble from Fluker's (She goes crazy for this stuff). I have given dehydrated crickets and meal worms before but he really doesn't care for it. Every Christmas (hopefully Christmas day) I give Smaug horn worms (because its the day I got him, a gift from my gramps.). Occasionally I do go out and by some veggies for her and make a salad (speaking of which, any suggestions for that?)

I'll get a picture of the vent up close here soon (a different reply)

No, I haven't seen any fresh poop in the past three days. I have seen on many many different post that enemas will kill reptiles due to there sensitive body parts.

natural laxatives, I don't know what I be doing with those. Honestly, never even heard of the word. Where would I get some?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He looks impacted --- please get some canned pumpkin or unsweetened applesauce or baby prunes - feed them till he poops -- but the biggest concern is this As for UVB, I have 13 watt bulb from Thrive.
Your dragon is basically getting no UVB and is causing poop issues / impaction along w/ him developing MBD --- you need to replace the UVB w/ this 24" fixture this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb hang on to it you can use it as a back up but distance and placement is different from the bulb you need for that tank https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html
22" bulb https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html
or you can get this one its very good and the bulb comes w / it
24" fixture https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit.html
But you need to get this replaced like yesterday --- you also need this https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-digital-thermometer.html
this is another issue w/ not pooping --- this stuff I just posted is the MOST IMPORTANT THING in the tank ---- start w/ giving the natural laxatives for the dragon -- he needs a better diet like live food staple feeders like dubias or crickets or BSFL or silk worms - your dragon needs fresh salads every morning and calcium D3 and vitamins w/ beta carotene -- your dragon is not healthy and you need to start doing some changing -- hes getting sicker by the day -- I can post some websites for insects / worms here is a nutrition website http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder --

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Are you sure he's a he.? My female looks like that when she's about to lay. Can you take a better picture? Make sure the tail is arched more.

DeJoah

Original Poster
Though I have had her for over two years now, I'm just know nothing and I've known that much. When I first got him, I didn't want to get him because I didn't think I was ready but my grandfather got him anyway. So, excited, I did what I could.

Just a question... why would a UVB lamp rod work better than a 13 watt Thrive bulb?

I do want to say, I've given many kinds of fruits. He doesn't touch them. But He does like carrots, and does eat his greens. But I'll try again.

DeJoah

Original Poster
destiny1998":d778biv2 said:
Hi. Are you sure he's a he.? My female looks like that when she's about to lay. Can you take a better picture? Make sure the tail is arched more.

I don't know really. I've had Smaug for two years now and haven't gotten a single egg so thats why I don't think Smaug is a female.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The Thrive brand is not a good one and from past people experiences w/ the coil bulbs that come here their dragons are doing terrible --- coils have CFL's and they are terrible for emitting UVB --- please get your UVB changed out ASAP-- your dragon is basically getting NO UVB and is getting sicker by the day --- please start w/ the canned pumpkin or unsweetened applesauce or baby prunes -- your dragon needs to be hydrated -- how has he been getting water -- w/ eating no vegies hes not really getting any water and that too is a issue w/ not going to the bathroom--- do you give him baths and does he drink in the bath?

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
My girl didn't have eggs until she was 5. The picture you posted looks female from what I see. That's why I asked for a better picture.

DeJoah

Original Poster
KarrieRee":qogdvct5 said:
The Thrive brand is not a good one and from past people experiences w/ the coil bulbs that come here their dragons are doing terrible --- coils have CFL's and they are terrible for emitting UVB --- please get your UVB changed out ASAP-- your dragon is basically getting NO UVB and is getting sicker by the day --- please start w/ the canned pumpkin or unsweetened applesauce or baby prunes -- your dragon needs to be hydrated -- how has he been getting water -- w/ eating no vegies hes not really getting any water and that too is a issue w/ not going to the bathroom--- do you give him baths and does he drink in the bath?
She was constipated, I just noticed a minute ago that the swell is now gone so I checked the whole cage (not going to show picture) but found a pile as big as her head.
I will see to getting the new uvb rods. Other question, since UVB bulbs from thrive aren't reliable (I didn't know so don't be so upset at me for that. This isn't particular common knowledge) I give him a single serving of unsweeted applesauce for good measure then go back. I have put together a list of all the things i need to by and keep buying for hence forth now. Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It's good he pooped- please let me know what you get so I can help you place the new uvb-- they have certain distances and placement-- don't beat yourself up a lot of people don't know about brands etc of UVB's-

DeJoah

Original Poster
destiny1998":3ojf0fg9 said:
My girl didn't have eggs until she was 5. The picture you posted looks female from what I see. That's why I asked for a better picture.
Here you go:
111231-2258029580.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That does appear to be female.. That's great she is doing better. They definitely can get
impacted a bit. You can try to keep her a little more hydrated in case she was dehydrated.
You can also give some soft foods in addition to her foods in case she is still a little backed
up right now.
Don't be hard on yourself regarding the UVB lighting, the information eludes most people
& the petstores don't give enough information out for new owners either. Good UVB lighting
is important.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom