Beardie eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lajjea

111156-2161752447.jpg
111156-8467275868.jpg
I bought a new dragon at an expo yesterday. He seemed active & friendly. The seller said he had a light too close in the tank & hurt his eyes but misting a few times a day helped.
Problem is, he is scared & jumpy so when I mist him, he freaks out to where he is going to hurt himself.
Ive gotten him to eat but mostly he is staying hidden with his eyes closed. I feel bad & wondered if there was anything that I could do to help him. Anyone ever heard of a beardies eyes being burnt before?
He is 9 months but the size of a 3 or 4 month.
I also got a female from the same guy who is very tiny & she is friendly, eats well & basks under the heat & UVB normally 111156 9923540186[/XIMG][/img]

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your pic did not post click on the XIMG at the top of the message box when it pops up click on it it should post I see the #'s and letters in the box but no pic--
Tracie would need to answer about the burnt eyes --- that is sad -- make sure his lighting is directly over him and its a bright white basking bulb NO colored --- and hes UVB is NO Coil--- they are notorious for causing eye issues -- you want a long tube fixture like a Zoo Med or Arcadia or Sunblaster w/ a Reptisun or Arcadia bulb T 5 they are the safest on the market at this time --
Your not housing the two dragons together are you? If so please separate them ASAP -- dragons should never be housed together and w/ your one having eye issues thats going to be bad for him

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

OH no, how sad that is! Can he see anything, or are his eyes very damaged?
Pictures would be great & helpful. What are you using on his eyes? I think that you should
try to use sterile saline solution or some diluted raw, unpasteurized honey on them. Be sure
the honey is thinned out so you can use a drop or two into the eyes if they appear infected.
What type of lighting are you using currently for him?
Have you been able to get any food into him?

Tracie

Lajjea

Original Poster
Drache613":286n1agl said:
Hello,

Pictures would be great & helpful. What are you using on his eyes? I think that you should
try to use sterile saline solution or some diluted raw, unpasteurized honey on them. Be sure
the honey is thinned out so you can use a drop or two into the eyes if they appear infected.

I think I answered you when I meant to respond to another. But to your question. He can see but usually sits with eyes closed & sometimes he can't open or they are really watery. I mist him & then he's fine for a few hours. It's very very sad!
He is a beautiful hypo red Leatherback who is nine months but only about six inches. The breeder told me a ten gal is fine so I'm assuming that's what stunted his growth. These two have only ever eaten mealworms. I know that I should have walked away but I felt so bad. They both ate pheonix worms & tiny dubias three times yesterday.
My problem is he avoids the heat lamp. He hides a lot, I move the dome over & he runs. Any suggestions?
I have a 4' enclosure coming this Thursday but now doubting that he should change from the zoo med 40 gal. He was friendly when I got him Sat but now is super jumpy & freaked out by me so should I just continue petting/hand feeding or should I grab him all the time? I don't want him afraid of me & would rather do it slowly to build trust like I did with my 7 month. The pic didn't show up very good, will get another when he is in a good clear spot.
Tracie

All the lighting etc is correct & no they are each in a 40 gal breeder. I'm using the coil on the smaller until the reptisun hood comes Wednesday. The stores only had one hood besides a thrive tropical hood & light. I thought a stronger uvb would be better then the really weak thrive tube but I could be wrong. Which do you think as a temporary light? I bought both but decided on the 150 uvb coil over the 5 uvb tube

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Neither one --- coils are terrible for eye issues -- shut it off for now and take him outside in a plastic tote if your temps are 65 or better -- place him in direct sunlight / partial shade for 15 minutes or so -- DO NOT LEAVE HIM -- supervise him -- if you can you can let him sit on you for a longer period of time -- do this every day or other for some good UVB -- this would be better than either one you mentioned - when you get the one you ordered please post back on here so I can help you set it up--- what did you order please?

Lajjea

Original Poster
Lajjea":2ol5c2xo said:
Drache613":2ol5c2xo said:
Hello,

I think I answered you when I meant to respond to another. But to your question. He can see but usually sits with eyes closed & sometimes he can't open or they are really watery. I mist him & then he's fine for a few hours. It's very very sad!
He is a beautiful hypo red Leatherback who is nine months but only about six inches. The breeder told me a ten gal is fine so I'm assuming that's what stunted his growth. These two have only ever eaten mealworms. I know that I should have walked away but I felt so bad. They both ate pheonix worms & tiny dubias three times yesterday.
My problem is he avoids the heat lamp. He hides a lot, I move the dome over & he runs. Any suggestions?
I have a 4' enclosure coming this Thursday but now doubting that he should change from the zoo med 40 gal. He was friendly when I got him Sat but now is super jumpy & freaked out by me so should I just continue petting/hand feeding or should I grab him all the time? I don't want him afraid of me & would rather do it slowly to build trust like I did with my 7 month. The pic didn't show up very good, will get another when he is in a good clear spot.
Tracie

All the lighting etc is correct & no they are each in a 40 gal breeder. I'm using the coil on the smaller until the reptisun hood comes Wednesday. The stores only had one hood besides a thrive tropical hood & light. I thought a stronger uvb would be better then the really weak thrive tube but I could be wrong. Which do you think as a temporary light? I bought both but decided on the 150 uvb coil over the 5 uvb tube
Drache613":2ol5c2xo said:
Hello,

Tracie

I put new pics up. The one photo looks like it's a bad pic but that's what the eye looks like. Again today he is hiding & hasn't come out to bask. Once he eats, he will go to the farthest spot away from heat which has the reptisun t5 10 bulb. If I put the heat closer, he rubs & hides for hours

Lajjea

Original Poster
KarrieRee":kk0zqq4h said:
Neither one --- coils are terrible for eye issues -- shut it off for now and take him outside in a plastic tote if your temps are 65 or better -- place him in direct sunlight / partial shade for 15 minutes or so -- DO NOT LEAVE HIM -- supervise him -- if you can you can let him sit on you for a longer period of time -- do this every day or other for some good UVB -- this would be better than either one you mentioned - when you get the one you ordered please post back on here so I can help you set it up--- what did you order please?
KarrieRee":kk0zqq4h said:

Thank you! The reptisun t5 10 bulb is coming Wednesday. I was able to get one at a petstore but they only had the one.
I'm good on setting it up. I have a 7 month normal that I had help setting the lighting correctly. I learned so much from these forums! If I happen to need somethings, I will definitely msg you! Thank you so much!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The T 5 is a UVB it should not be any closer than 12-15 inches directly above him-- uvb's do not put out heat- you need a bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 105-110 for a baby 95-100 for a juvie/ adult and temps MUST be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer

Lajjea

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2kkzwmr4 said:
The T 5 is a UVB it should not be any closer than 12-15 inches directly above him-- uvb's do not put out heat- you need a bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 105-110 for a baby 95-100 for a juvie/ adult and temps MUST be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer

I appreciate you taking the time to write all that..
I know all of it & my set ups are exactly as you described.
He refuses to bask. Barely comes out of hiding. Ate good yesterday but today only ate a few pheonix worms & hasn't had a bowel movement. I'm posting him in different places hoping to find someone who will take him that can help him. I'm constantly crying because Im not experienced enough with beardies & don't want this beautiful baby to die
I'm in Pa if you know of anyone?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So it looks like its just the one eye --- can you post pics of the tank you have him in so we can see why hes hiding from the light--- which one is he hiding from - the basking bulb? If your using that coil shut it off and just wait for your T 5 to tomorrow --- we can then help you get it placed correctly -

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I do see the eye, it does look somewhat odd, poor thing! Can he see out of it that you can
tell?
Yes, for now, we recommend just waiting for your T5 tube bulb to get there which will hopefully
be on wednesday. I am glad you went ahead & got that ordered for him.
Are you using any saline solution in his eyes?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom