Swollen Forearm (Gout)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, my 2 1/2 year old dragon reptar has had bouts of swollen limbs for a couple of months now sometimes it's the front leg and back leg and sometimes just the front or the back never all four 2 at a time or just 1 limb at a time I do not live near a reptile vet or exotic vet and my vet has no clue, he eats great, poops fine, looks healthy but when his limbs swell he has trouble walking and when lifting them they shake. I do not believe it is mbd do to it comes and goes and when he is not swollen he walks and runs like a normal bearded dragon, he gets a little grumpy and lays around a lot more when it happens but I probably would too lol but still eats great I do not feed him much protein but when he does eat bugs it seems to bring it on but not 100% it's hard to tell cause it comes and goes, he is in a 75 gallon with the desert t8 Arcadia with reflectors about 8inches from basking on top of mesh (trying to figure out how to mount on inside) I keep a night time heat lamp (no light) and a 75 w heat on basking side his temps range from 78 cool to 95 hot he eats collard, mustard, and turnip greens with different colored bell peppers and i use the Zilla spray calcium and Zilla vitamins spray on his greens daily, bugs I give once a week are crickets, calciworms and sometimes super worms if they don't have the calciworms. He is currently shedding bits and pieces. I am thinking of trying the cherry extract I just need some advice thank you .
106817-9545683139.jpg
106817-1706623226.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
We need Tracie to address the gout issue but your T 8 needs to go into the tank ASAP-- the clear plastic cover needs to be off if there is one- I am going to post some things in the morning for you to hang that fixture--- also you might want to upgrade your uvb to a T 5 too-

jessicasweeton22

Original Poster
Hi thanks for replying, the plastic cover is off and I am about to buy new lights so I definitely will get the t5 and new fixture, I'm new to this and don't know Tracie or how to contact. But I appreciate if you could I can't find anything on how to mount them.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes I will post stuff in the morning for that --- DO NOT get a fixture the same length of the tank you don't want her hiding from the UVB-- she needs to be able to sit in the tank w/ out having to hide from it--- Tracie is on late at nite--- I will flag your post

Sorry for the late response here are some things to hang w/ 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195 this stuff works great its like a Velcro strap cut into strips and wrap around the fixture

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your boy is having some trouble!
I would definitely agree that this magnitude of swelling would be gout. Metabolic bone disease
doesn't really manifest this type of swelling or fluctuate in the swellings.
Were you planning on taking him to the vet?
I recommend going ahead & trying the black or tart cherry juice extract. You can give that daily,
either straight or diluted. You can start with 1ml, daily.
Have you had the plastic cover on your tube bulb for awhile now? As Karrie suggested, take off
the plastic cover of the tube bulb & go ahead & get that mounted closer to him. The T5 would
be stronger for him. If possible, try to get that mounted underneath of the screen at or around
10 or so inches, alongside of your basking light.
He could have a few calcium issues due to poor absorption, & not enough UVB, but overall it
does appear he has developed gout. You could consider getting him started on allopurinol to
help with the uric acid decrease.
It would be a good idea to keep his protein moderate to low to help out his kidneys, too. So,
try to keep his insect intake down to 25 or less per week, but instead focus on fluids & greens,
etc right now.

Tracie

jessicasweeton22

Original Poster
Hi thank you for replying, his light does not have the plastic on it I removed that when we got it but it is time for a new light, I had took him to my regular vet that sees my dog but he had no clue and told me to take him to the exotic vet but it is 2+ hrs away (I live in a small town) and haven't been able to schedule anything just yet, but the medicine you recommended can I buy that online or is it something I have to go to the vet for? Also I am going to start immediately with the cherry extract, does it matter with the tart or black ? Is one better than the other?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing tonight?
There are a few differences between the black cherry & tart cherry but overall they both
perform well.
Ok great, I am glad you are getting a new light & that the plastic lens has not been covering
the tube. Be sure that his basking temperatures are optimal as well & if you can, keep him a
little warmer overnight in his tank to help boost his immune system.
I can help with the allopurinol. I will send a PM to you for information if you are wanting to get
him started on it.

Tracie

jessicasweeton22

Original Poster
Hi sorry for the late response I've been trying to find stuff and get stuff ordered but he is doing ok a little better than the past couple of days but I have ordered a new t5 setup and finally found the cherry juice concentrate I will add image and let me know if the juice I have purchased is the right kind please
106817-3194153826.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I replied to my previous post w/ stuff to hang -- when you get the T 5 post back in here and I will help you get it set up for your tank

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The cherry concentrate is perfectly fine. Have you tried it yet? I hope your dragon likes it.
When are you expecting the new T5 light?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

jessicasweeton22

Original Poster
Hello, I have gave him about . 2ml today I don't think he liked it very much he was very interested at first then he had a taste and kept shaking his head everytime I put the syringe next to his mouth lol but I think it could be the syringe after he found out he couldn't eat it lol but he is doing a little better still swelling but he is starting to move around a little more I also wanted to ask I have metacam for my other pet would that help any with the swelling? I know it helps for pain but not sure and if so the dosing please. I will continue with the cherry juice and try to get more in him also the lights are coming close next Thursday due to memorial day.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You can dilute the juice for him so it isn't quite as tart for him! It should help clear out his
kidneys a little bit for now. You can give metacam short term for help with pain management.
It likely wont do a lot for the swelling or uric acid levels if there is gout developing.
What strength of metacam do you have & what is his weight again?
Were you planning on putting him on gout medication or were you waiting?
Be sure to keep him well hydrated daily & try to encourage him to eat his greens & vegetation
which I know is difficult!
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom