HELP!!! beardies toe in half

Status
Not open for further replies.
i know it’s normal for them to bite their own toes but i have two juvinials housed together, two females. one is significantly bigger than the other (the big one is sora small one is ryuu) i’m always on top of them making sure they are well fed, and the other day i looked and saw ryuus long toe in half clean through the bone hanging by a piece of skin. after investigating ive seen sora bite ryuu multiple times. and now ryuu as two toes damaged, on is in half and the bone is showing and the other looks broken. i’m concerned and need help. i’m planning on getting another tank soon and a trip to the vet.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Separate them NOW -- plastic tote like a 20 gallon or even a 10 will do -- but you must get them separated --- take a pic of the dragons toes please https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post --- you dont want to wait at getting them separated do it NOW -- share the light between the two of them w/ a few hrs of each of the UVB and basking light if you haft to but its not good leaving them together w/ the one biting the other --- dragons should never be housed together --

jzbrooklyn

Original Poster
i took the picture and posted it, i’m planning on getting a new tank as soon as possible. this wasn’t a problem before and has only recently started happening and i have no clue why but separating them is my current priority.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I don't see the pic-- check XIMG at top of the message box- if it downloaded it will come up - click on it it should post

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so go to the XIMG at the top of the message box click on it then when the pic comes up click the pic it will come up in the message box w/ a bunch of numbers and letters that is your pic when you hit submit it will come up as your pic you should be able to see it --- refresh your page after posting

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes that looks not good ---- I am going to have Tracie take a look shes our vet tech mod in the meantime I hope you have gotten him moved ---- and please you need good basking temps and good UVB--- NO COILS!!!! these will help in the healing process especially the UVB -- if you need more help please ask ---- flagging to Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is definitely not good. Have you separated them now? As Karrie suggested, that is the
only way to stop what is happening.
Do you have any betadine at home you could use to get that cleaned up? If so, dilute it down
until it appears the color of weak tea, before cleaning the foot/toes. Then, use some raw,
unpasteurized honey on the area, making sure that there are no loose insects in the tank he
is in. The honey is highly effective in treating infection.
Are you using a solid substrate in the bottom of the tank?

Tracie

jzbrooklyn

Original Poster
Drache613":2cw8ki25 said:
Hello,

That is definitely not good. Have you separated them now? As Karrie suggested, that is the
only way to stop what is happening.
Do you have any betadine at home you could use to get that cleaned up? If so, dilute it down
until it appears the color of weak tea, before cleaning the foot/toes. Then, use some raw,
unpasteurized honey on the area, making sure that there are no loose insects in the tank he
is in. The honey is highly effective in treating infection.
Are you using a solid substrate in the bottom of the tank?

Tracie
Hey Tracie, unfortunately i have absolutely none of those, the past few days they have been seperated but the one who is injured doesnt like to be away from the other one and i don’t know why. i’ll let ryuu chill with sora for a little bit then i’ll put her back in the tank. but he foot is starting to look like a nub and only recently noticed it, she let me touch it and it’s stiff.

jzbrooklyn

Original Poster
this is just another problem for me, i’m starting to realize that they will absolutely not tolerate being separated, even as much as sora hurt ryuu, and after letting them play and relax together for a bit i’m seeing them laying together basking, and when i seperate them at the end of the day during bedtime they sleep on the same side of the glass to be together. ryuus foot doesn’t look infected and i am seeing her lick it sometimes.should this be a concern? (her licking the foot)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please get the betadine solution and raw unpasteurized ASAP-- infection is going to set in and you do not want that --- please keep them apart -- the one will get over it ---- if not your going to have a bigger issue -- Manuka is a good honey -- https://www.walgreens.com/search/results.jsp?Ntt=betadine%20solution
I would remove them from the room or put up some newspaper or magazine covers so they cannot see each other -- dragons should never be housed together EVER --- they are territorial animals and as they get older they will become more aggressive --

jzbrooklyn

Original Poster
just another question i had. after sepeeation will her feet be ok? would her toes fall off? like what happens or would they just stay like that? i’ve been keeping an eye on her and she’s nipping her own feet now. reason?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I dont know that is something Tracie is going to haft to address I am flagging your post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom