Juvinile beardie will not eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nic818181

Hi, i am new beardie owner. She is my first one and had her since February. my juvinile beardie was treated with panacur after they found out from her fecal sample that she had pin worms and coccidia. After the panacur she had another test they said the pin worms are gone but still got coccidia. After two weeks of eating less and less I spoke to others and saw they should have reptiboast while on medication. I didn't know this as was not told by the vet so didn't give her that until a couple of weeks after. It's been 6 weeks since she had medicine and she is hardly eating anything. A wax worm and maybe a few bits of salad/veggies every other day. She won't take the reptiboost or the slurry I make her of veg and dubias. I am at my wits end. I was told probiotics soy yoghurt can help and given her a bit of that which did boost her but still not eating. She was hiding a lot but a bit better now and does bask for a while. I don't know what to do as soon as she sees the syringes for food or water she knows and will not touch it. I don't want to force feed her. Any advice?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes lets go over the lighting in the tank first --- UVB brand and bulb? coil or tube ? Basking temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - NO stick ons please -- if your using a tube UVB where in the tank is it? top of screen or inside the tank ?

Nic818181

Original Poster
Hi its top inside of tank tube light. 32.6c. Up until had panacur was eating and shedding constantly. Her colours are bright. She is very aware.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok the tube light is a T 5 or a T 8 -------------- if its a T 8 it MUST be inside the tank w/ a distance of 6-8 inches and the UVB fixture MUST have a reflector on it and NO clear plastic cover over the bulb -- 89F is not hot enough for basking -- it needs to be 95-100 --- your dragon is not able to digest his food correctly w/ that low of a temp --- and improper placement of the UVB is going to cause eating problems along w/ absorption / synethization of calcium --- plus a lot more health issues which is more than likely a good cause of not being over the coccidia yet -- also the T 5 has a different distance so we need to get that figured out first

Nic818181

Original Poster
It's a t8. Picture added. She has never had issues before with eating or shedding until she had panacur. I will get a new thermometer for inside

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
is that your basking bulb? If so please move it or her to a different basking spot w/ this over her or something similar -- https://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Infrared-150-Watt-120-Volt/dp/B01CES501O/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=exo+terra+basking+bulb+100w+single+bulb&qid=1621286663&sr=8-6
this is a 4 pack I would start w/ one for now till you get the correct basking temp -- but you must have the digital probe thermometer ----
Heat emitters are not for basking --- you need a solid bright bulb to start digestion please get this ASAP--- heat emitters are for keeping tanks warm during the nite if temps are falling BELOW 65 -- they can add heat to supplement to get tanks up to basking temps but SHOULD NOT be used for a basking bulb -- they are also good for when dragons are sick and you need warmer temps at nite in the tank -- your nite time temps should be 65-75 NO colored bulbs ---
the T 8 needs to be INSIDE the tank as I posted earlier NO screen in between --- and the bulb should NOT be over 6 months old and the UVB MUST HAVE a reflector -- it needs to be directly over her --

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes but you must have the digital probe thermometer-- do not install the light until you have that probe -- you do not want to burn her up- take the probe and place it on the basking spot where she sits wait 10 minutes then get the temp-- you may haft to higher the light or go to a lower wattage- but you need that probe

Nic818181

Original Poster
I have ordered one of the thermometer guns. Do they need more than the t8 inside the viv and the heat bulb? I thought the t8 was all the light they needed? Sorry first beardie so lots of questions. Thank you

Nic818181

Original Poster
What do you do put basking light in and then change to coil heat bulb of a night? I don't have a fitting for both

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No coil bulbs--- take the heat emitter out replace w/ the bright bulb make sure your socket can hold the 100 watt bulb if it's lower it will blow the bulb--- you only need 2 lights in the tank -- your UVB and that bright white basking bulb - you should have 3 temps in your tank--- cool side of tank 80's --- middle of tank 90's and your basking side 95-100--- if you need to get the heat up in the middle of tank use a regular house hold bulb like a 60 watt NO LEDS they don't give heat- where is the UVB and does it have a reflector on the fixture?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would recommend you get another done for you heat emitter and place on top center of tank - you do not want it on at nite unless your tank is dropping below 65 F at night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom