Wtf is this?

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Wtf is this?

Postby Kyzer » Sun May 16, 2021 9:24 pm

Beardies on meds for parasites, low levels coccidia, and 3 other moderate levels.

Seems all the problems started at the beginning of last shed, he only had a partial shed tail, legs and a bit on each side. A week after he began shedding middle back head and belly, the shed was extremely difficult and was not coming off. We used zilla shed ease in a few paths and it began peeling no problem, so we thought but after coming out their bath and drying off his skin looked raw and slightly cut.

After vet did examination do to parasites she also determined he had a skin infection of some sort and out him on Flamazine, he does not seem to be making any improvement the skin just seems to be going blacker and more dry. I bathed him again with the shed ease today and his skin came off to the point it looks raw with no scales. The vet has not responded to our calls but our beardie seems in rough shape.

He began sits on his substrate looking so lethargy with his mouth semi open and his tongue sort of sticking out lying flat on ceramic tiles.

Along with the rash he is still hardly eating after 5 days since beginning meds he's at the point where he will only eat horn worms or silk worms

Could this be yellow fungus infection?
[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]
Kyzer
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:47 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Wtf is this?

Postby Drache613 » Sun May 16, 2021 11:34 pm

Hello,

That looks like either fungus or possibly a burn?
Did the vet give any type cream for it? That looks very painful for him. Until you can get
it diagnosed, you can try getting some raw, unpasteurized honey to put on it daily.
It appears he is a leatherback which complicates things since they already have skin
issues.
They normally have relocation stress so a lack of appetite happens quite often. How long
have you had him for? That is quite a bit of medication he is on. Are you giving some
probiotics too?
For now, just in the case it is fungal, I would avoid excessive baths because that can spread
fungus more easily.
What type/brand of UVB lighting are you using & what are the temperatures?

Tracie
User avatar
Drache613
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 41671
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: May, Texas

Re: Wtf is this?

Postby Kyzer » Mon May 17, 2021 6:17 am

Drache613 wrote:Hello,

That looks like either fungus or possibly a burn?
Did the vet give any type cream for it? That looks very painful for him. Until you can get
it diagnosed, you can try getting some raw, unpasteurized honey to put on it daily.
It appears he is a leatherback which complicates things since they already have skin
issues.
They normally have relocation stress so a lack of appetite happens quite often. How long
have you had him for? That is quite a bit of medication he is on. Are you giving some
probiotics too?
For now, just in the case it is fungal, I would avoid excessive baths because that can spread
fungus more easily.
What type/brand of UVB lighting are you using & what are the temperatures?
We've had him 5 months he's 8 months old , he was at the vet last Tuesday due to his fecal test having parasites , the vet noticed his skin then. The vet put him on a cream called Flamazine after looking it up apparently its used to treat burns.

However Since starting with the cream last Tuesday we noticed that when this black skin is falling off that the new skin looks completely rawn with no scales.
I think you may be right about the bath as this morning it looks like it had spread more
His UVB is a t5 reptisun 24 inch his basking is a mercury vapor 125 w and his basking temps are between 103-106
Tracie
Kyzer
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:47 pm

Re: Wtf is this?

Postby AHBD » Mon May 17, 2021 2:33 pm

Wow, sorry to see this ! Important question, did you sort of "help" it to shed by trying to pull it off ? That does look bad. Leatherbacks don't have skin problems any more than normal scaled dragons though, it's the silkbacks that can have skin issues. Also, how many watts is the heat bullb ?
AHBD
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 26523
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:20 am

Re: Wtf is this?

Postby Kyzer » Tue May 18, 2021 4:47 am

AHBD wrote:Wow, sorry to see this ! Important question, did you sort of "help" it to shed by trying to pull it off ? That does look bad. Leatherbacks don't have skin problems any more than normal scaled dragons though, it's the silkbacks that can have skin issues. Also, how many watts is the heat bullb ?


Hi yes we helped with the shed once we seen it hurt him he did not go any further. Few hrs later my. Girlfriend said his back looks red and raw.

His Mvb is 125 watt and gets up to between 103 and 106 its 9/10 inches above. Him.

The cream flamazine is a brand name for a silver sulfadiazine here in Canada.

I don't no. If it's helping or hurting him
Kyzer
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:47 pm

Re: Wtf is this?

Postby AHBD » Tue May 18, 2021 4:54 am

He might have been too close to the MVB and also had some shed pulled off. I'd use the raw honey mixed with silver cream. Honey is great for wound healing, often rated better than all the creams out there.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 26523
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:20 am

Re: Wtf is this?

Postby Kyzer » Tue May 18, 2021 5:05 am

AHBD wrote:He might have been too close to the MVB and also had some shed pulled off. I'd use the raw honey mixed with silver cream. Honey is great for wound healing, often rated better than all the creams out there.


The thing is he's been under the same mvb since January. This shed was his first abnormal one he first shed his tail and a patch on each side of him. Then began his middle back, head, legs, and belly. The legs and belly shed easily but his. Middle back and head seemed like they just wouldn't come off.

So Ofcourse being inexperienced owners we read that stuck shed can cause limb loss and damage so we panic go buy shed ease and try help him get the shed off.

Poor guys head still won't shed and the skin is just getting darker, dryer and deader looking by the day.

Would you also recommend staying away from Baths until he heals?
Kyzer
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:47 pm

Re: Wtf is this?

Postby Kyzer » Tue May 18, 2021 5:08 am

I also got a jar of raw unpasteurized honey, but haven't used it yet, as we were unsure if this is fungus, or from pulling the shed.

So you don't think it's fungus AHBD?
Kyzer
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:47 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Wtf is this?

Postby AHBD » Tue May 18, 2021 7:34 am

I don't know, it could be. Or it could be severe irritation from pulling off shed that wasn't ready. Don't bathe him anymore because that can introduce more bacteria in to the wound or if it's fungal it can spread.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 26523
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:20 am

Re: Wtf is this?

Postby Drache613 » Wed May 19, 2021 12:44 am

Hello,

How is your boy doing today?
Do go ahead & cease giving baths for awhile since his skin is so raw right now. Treat it daily
with the raw honey & be sure that there are no insects that are attracted to the honey, in his
tank.

Tracie
User avatar
Drache613
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 41671
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: May, Texas

Re: Wtf is this?

Postby Kyzer » Wed May 19, 2021 1:47 pm

Drache613 wrote:Hello,

How is your boy doing today?
Do go ahead & cease giving baths for awhile since his skin is so raw right now. Treat it daily
with the raw honey & be sure that there are no insects that are attracted to the honey, in his
tank.

Tracie




Hi, Tracie thanks for asking. His skin seems to be healing I don't know if it went this color similar to how when humans have a cut and it scabs, maybe that was his skin's way of scabbing?

He is alert, pooping daily still, we lowered his bulb to a 75w Exo Terra, which for some strange reason was bringing temps even higher than the 125w Mvb . We ended up making adjustments and moving his basking platform a few inches away, so now it's sitting right at 100.

He still refuses to eat BSFL or Crickets, so as some have suggested we got some silkworms and he loves them as much as his Hornworms.

The problem is there so damn expensive $1.00 per worm so I've only been able to give him 6 for breakfast and 6 for dinner mixed in with a few Horns. He is eating his salad a little again as well.

A guy who works at Big AL's pet store told me they like Silkworms when their sick because Silkworms have some natural healing properties in them

With The Honey and Silver Sulfadiazine cream Should I mix them together or put one on top of the other?
Kyzer
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:47 pm

Re: Wtf is this?

Postby Drache613 » Sat May 22, 2021 12:52 am

Hello,

Sorry I missed your post!
Ok good, it sounds like you are getting his basking spot temperatures at a better range.
Their skin does take awhile to heal up because the scales have to develop & it does take
some time. I am glad to hear he is alert though, that is a good sign. He is liking his silkworms
then, they are very good for him.
The silkworms & hornworms are very expensive. Where are you located? You are correct,
the silkworms are very good sources for serrapeptase which is an enzyme which helps with
pain, swelling & inflammation. Have you considered trying to breed them?
You can trade off between the honey & the silver. Do you think one works better than the other
or, can you tell?

Tracie
User avatar
Drache613
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 41671
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: May, Texas

Re: Wtf is this?

Postby Kyzer » Sun May 30, 2021 3:09 pm

Drache613 wrote:Hello,

Sorry I missed your post!
Ok good, it sounds like you are getting his basking spot temperatures at a better range.
Their skin does take awhile to heal up because the scales have to develop & it does take
some time. I am glad to hear he is alert though, that is a good sign. He is liking his silkworms
then, they are very good for him.
The silkworms & hornworms are very expensive. Where are you located? You are correct,
the silkworms are very good sources for serrapeptase which is an enzyme which helps with
pain, swelling & inflammation. Have you considered trying to breed them?
You can trade off between the honey & the silver. Do you think one works better than the other
or, can you tell?

Tracie



HI Tracie sorry I didn't catch your reply. Things seem to be remaining the same I haven't used honey or the silver cream for days now, because there is no more open wound.

His skin still appears very black and it seems like it's slowly spreading based on reviewing and updating pictures.

He is still being picky with his eating, only eating the silks or horns still. I've spent a pretty penny the last few weeks trying to feed him.

I luckily I came across a young lady whose father breeds them for silk, and he allows her to raise some as well so this little 12 year old girl has been selling me the largest healthiest looking silk worms I've ever seen for only 30 cents a worm, which has been a life saver since the stores charge 89 cents to $1.00 per worm. So Yoshi's been eating 20 to 25 silks a day.

We've attempted crickets again and he just closes his eyes and backs away.

One concern we've had is since starting this heavy silk worm diet over the last 1.5 weeks his poop has became just become a big huge plop not solid but just a big steamy pile.

He has been pooping every day or every other, he's still alert.

But he continues to try and dig and recent has been starting to run into his hide and spend some time in there in the evening digging.

I'm also concerned because his head still has not shed its been over 1.5 months now with this stuck shed on his head.

I will post some pics to update how he looks, he is still gaining weight as well.


Quick edit yes I'm attempting to breed my own silks I got 200 eggs they've all hatched and are a week old, so far so good
Last edited by Kyzer on Sun May 30, 2021 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyzer
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:47 pm

Re: Wtf is this?

Postby Kyzer » Sun May 30, 2021 3:15 pm

[Click image to enlarge]


This pic is from today May 30th, I'm not sure of his skin is healing or if this is something spreading
Kyzer
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:47 pm

Re: Wtf is this?

Postby Drache613 » Mon May 31, 2021 12:40 am

Hello,

I am honestly not sure if it is healing properly or not. He is a leatherback, correct?
How hot does he get, with the use of the MVB light?
I am trying to figure out what could have caused this, was it the shed a few months ago
that started the discoloration?
Did the vet do a skin culture initially to determine fungal issues?
Do the black or dark areas seem to be spreading?
I would consider for now, changing out the UVB lighting to a lower output, to start the process
of elimination. It is possible the light could be bad, but without testing it, I don't know for sure.
Fungal issues usually don't just crop up to that extent which is why I am thinking it is a burn.
But it should be healing up by now which is concerning.
Are you still using the honey or anything else on that area?

Tracie
User avatar
Drache613
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 41671
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: May, Texas
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Next

Return to Beardie ER

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users