Wtf is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyzer

Original Poster
Hi Tracie yes he is a leather back his temps with the mvb are 103-106. Vet did not do a skin culture.

The skin issues all begun with an odd shed. He had two sheds first was his tail and sides, second was his head middle back, belly and legs if I Remeber correctly.

The middle back and head were the main problem areas so I got some shed ease and when we bathed him we gently peeled back the shed on his back, but probably went alittle to far, as a few hrs later we noticed redness and raw skin.

We left him after that, but when he went to the vet for his exam she peeled the rest of the stuck shed off his back. That's when he came home that's when it began healing into this dark black color.

His vet did not do any skin culture but suspected it was a potential infection from pull the shed so gave us the silver sulfadiazine cream to help heal it.

Based on the initial pictures I posted and the most current to me it felt like it has spread but maybe he darked as well because the rest of his body is trying to shed again?

Good news though today he began shedding some of this black skin and it's his regular color underneath only duller like the color he turns before shedding.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

Ok, I thought he was a leatherback. So his skin is starting to look a little better?
Did you adjust the distance of the MVB for him in case he was getting too much UVB
strength?
What are you using on his skin now?
It does take a good amount of time for the scales of reptiles, to heal up properly, shed,
then develop new scales underneath, etc. So try to be patient & double check that the
MVB is not too close to him right now while his skin is trying to heal up.
Is he eating very well right now?

Tracie

Kyzer

Original Poster
Drache613":1p0d2zo1 said:
Hello!

Ok, I thought he was a leatherback. So his skin is starting to look a little better?
Did you adjust the distance of the MVB for him in case he was getting too much UVB
strength?
What are you using on his skin now?
It does take a good amount of time for the scales of reptiles, to heal up properly, shed,
then develop new scales underneath, etc. So try to be patient & double check that the
MVB is not too close to him right now while his skin is trying to heal up.
Is he eating very well right now?

Tracie

HI Tracie his mvb is built into his enclosure so adjusting it is not an option, the mvb sits 13 inches above his basking spot, we did buy a 75 w exo terra bulb to try out although temps were in range with the 75 w his belly and him always felt a bit colder then usual, he also began with diarrhea, which I think may have to do more with diet but I'm not sure so we went back to the 125 w mvb.

Now for diet , he is still being extremely picky he will still only eat pretty much only silk worms for his bug. We have tried going back to crickets and bsfl, with the crickets he will literally back away from them when we try feed him them, and with bsfl I got him to eat maybe 10-15 yesterday. Which is not the usual 50 to 80 he would previously eat before.

Can't afford to keep up with the silks though, and my eggs are only 10 days hatched so not ready yet.

I'm currently trying to find a Surinam or Australian roach provider in Canada as those are the only two legal roaches here I've just found out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom