URGENT!! New beardie adopted with scrapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chloepd7

Hi there I just today adopted a new bearded dragon and he has some scrapes or sores from what looks like to be shedding with his previous owner. They had taken him to the vet and perscribed a cream and a splash of iodine to go in the bath with him. Just wanted to check to make sure this was the best thing for him. He just got home now so I’m not sure how relevant tank conditions are since he is in a new home but let me know if you need them. Thanks
111111-1336221127.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, can you get better pics that pinpoint the areas ? I see abnormalities but need better pics.

Chloepd7

Original Poster
111111-6255046748.jpg
111111-3671694282.jpg

I hope these help a little bit! They look to be pretty sore but some other ones have healed up better. I have no idea how they happened since he has only been in my care for about 5 hours. However I suspect it is from peeling shed since the previous owner mentioned needing to “help peel his shed sometimes”. The poor guy is a little stressed right now with the move too :(

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K I see them now. The former owner made a serious rookie mistake by pulling off the shed but you can probably help the healing very well by applying raw unpasteurized honey. The honey MUST be raw, that's what gives it the antibacterial properties. The iodine + cream is a good treatment too [ is it silver cream ? ] But if you use honey, be 100 % sure there are no insects loose in the tank. And it's always good to list your tank specs , show a full pic of the entire tank as well.

Chloepd7

Original Poster
Yes it is silver cream! These wounds are fairly new. To my understanding so I guess I will just need to stop worrying about him and let them heal up but with the added stress of the move it makes me sad to see his black beard!
His tank set up is as follows (picture included)
-70ish gal tank (not sure the dimensions but I can measure)
-2 heat bulbs 100 watt and 150, trying to figure out how to keep the basking temp stable at about 100-105
-Reptiglow UBV 10.0 across the entire enclosure
-hasn’t eaten since I brought him home but he did eat greens and super worms, occasionally crickets.
- he bathes regularly and has a water bowl
Which he has yet to find in his tank.

I’ve been thinking about getting a beardie for SO MANY years and did a ton of research, I guess I am just a little nervous that I will screw it up. I just really hope he heals up alright.
111111-733216526.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Nice tank set up :) I think that the heat bulbs would get too hot being 250 watts combined. Do you have a digital thermometer ? Lower his hammock a bit so his wounds don't get irritated. Cut out the baths for now, prob. causing more stress and can introduce bacteria in to the wound. You can dab watered down betadine on with a cotton ball or crumpled paper towel, then put the honey or cream on after a minute.

Chloepd7

Original Poster
Yes I have a digital thermometer, I’m trying to keep the basking at about 105 but one bulb alone doesn’t seem to do it. I’m not sure if he would be okay at a lower temperature and I have no idea what he is used to. The baths are in the iodine solution, I haven’t given him one yet but according to the previous owner that is what the vet said. Not sure if I should continue with them or not! I want to keep taking him out of his tank to a minimum as he gets used to his new home but I will need to take him out to feed him since it seems like feeding him bugs in his cage is a bad idea.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Go to a lower wattage bulb in another dome -- the UVB is a Reptiglo? Is it a Reptisun? It looks like a T 8 please look on your bulb itself it will tell you-- if its what I am thinking it needs to go inside the tank w/ NO clear plastic cover over the bulb and directly over the basking decor 6-8 inches -- as of now hes getting little UVB w/ it being on top of the screen - that blocks approx 30% of the UVB rays as they are not strong enough to go thru the screen --

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.P said the uvb is Reptiglo, that is fine if the mesh is not real tight. Can you post a pic of the screen on the tank to show what type it is ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Sorry I didnt know Reptiglo made long tube fixtures-- I have only seen the MVB and they are not any good--- :(

Chloepd7

Original Poster
Yes it is a repti glo light made by exoterra it’s in a zoomed case. From what I’ve heard the reviews are good on them. I’ve attached pictures of the screen and lights. When I picked him up today I saw his previous owner had had just one coil bulb near his basking spot for UBV and that was it! Does not seem to me like he’s got any signs of MBD, they did take him outside often. As for the heat bulb I turned off the 150 and kept the 100 on and it seems like it was heating it up better than the 150, the bulb must be better, keeping it at a steady 105 under the basking point now. He seems to be a little less stressed now, he just drank some water and it was very cute.
111111-1812636792.jpg
111111-2952350565.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's the good mesh with wider holes so you should have enough uvb going through as long as he's close like he is or a few inches further away [ 8-10 ] at the most is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom