Very sick beardie!! Please help!!!

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Very sick beardie!! Please help!!!

Postby Zeezaa87 » Wed May 05, 2021 5:12 am

Hi.

We had our beardie about 2 months ago from his previous owners who weren't taking great care of him. Since coming to us hes had his temps regulated and been offered a better diet and for a while he seemed to pick up.
Last couple of weeks hes not seemed his normal self and has had diarrhoea for about a week. This is 2 or 3 times a day. Up until Saturday he was still eating though. Monday he wasn't interested in food and seemed much more lethargic than usual. Gave him a bath (have been so daily incase of dehydration) and he had a big drink and perked up a little. Yesterday he woke and seemed worse. Eyes closed, lethargic and still. Bathed him and he drank a little but spent most of the day just lying there. We took him to the vets who confirmed he was dehydrated and also performed an xray as they found a lump (able to move it around a little) in his stomach which they think might be causing a blockage. He has some liquid medicine to help with dehydration and hopefully pass whatever is there. 5ml x3 daily...I feel like I'm flooding him. Bathed him this morning and he passed alot of the liquid as well as the white plug and some yellow faeces.
We were told if he doesn't improve within a couple of days the only option is surgery which is very risky.
Vet feels his blockage might be the substrate he was kept on (sand) previously. We have him on newspaper which has been easy to clean with his poorly tummy. We are so worried about him, cant bear to lose him!! Please help xc
Zeezaa87
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed May 05, 2021 5:00 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Very sick beardie!! Please help!!!

Postby KarrieRee » Wed May 05, 2021 5:22 am

Please go over the lighting in the tank --- UVB brand and bulb? coil or tube? where in the tank is it? Basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? NO stick ons- this is very important for the digestion and absorption of the calcium--- it controls the over all health of the dragon-- so they think hes impacted w/ the sand? Do you have the X rays or can you get them? Those would be helpful for Tracie to look at -- shes the vet tech mod and is very good at reading them--- please post them and I am going to flag your post to her -- she is on late at nite https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post -- post pics of him as well so she can see him
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 15000
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Very sick beardie!! Please help!!!

Postby Zeezaa87 » Wed May 05, 2021 6:57 am

KarrieRee wrote:Please go over the lighting in the tank --- UVB brand and bulb? coil or tube? where in the tank is it? Basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? NO stick ons- this is very important for the digestion and absorption of the calcium--- it controls the over all health of the dragon-- so they think hes impacted w/ the sand? Do you have the X rays or can you get them? Those would be helpful for Tracie to look at -- shes the vet tech mod and is very good at reading them--- please post them and I am going to flag your post to her -- she is on late at nite https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post -- post pics of him as well so she can see him


Hi. Thank you so much for replying. I've emailed the vets about them sending the xrays over. Will hopefully get them bu the end of the day.
He has UVB tube, the brand was what was sold to us by pets at home (will inc pic) but upon deeper investigation im not sure it is appropriate for beardies. Basking spot is kept at about 37 degrees and we have a heat but no light bulb at night so his tank is around 24 degrees then. We use a temp gun a couple of times a week to check these are regular.
I've taken some pics of him as well which I will post hopefully later with the xrays.
Can you recommend a new uvb bulb for us to try? Thanks
Zeezaa87
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed May 05, 2021 5:00 am

Re: Very sick beardie!! Please help!!!

Postby KarrieRee » Wed May 05, 2021 7:01 am

What are you using now? Is it a long tube? Look on the bulb itself it should tell you brand and bulb -- Do you have the box it came in ? Where is it ? in the tank or on top of screen ? Does the UVB fixture have a reflector in it?
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 15000
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Very sick beardie!! Please help!!!

Postby Zeezaa87 » Wed May 05, 2021 7:08 am

KarrieRee wrote:What are you using now? Is it a long tube? Look on the bulb itself it should tell you brand and bulb -- Do you have the box it came in ? Where is it ? in the tank or on top of screen ? Does the UVB fixture have a reflector in it?


It's a long tube. The bulb says reptile uvb 100. Exo terra is the brand. It is on the back wall at the top of the tank on the inside. No idea about the reflector, how do I check?
Have also tried to upload images of beardie himself bit new to this and still figuring this all out so no luck yet.
Zeezaa87
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed May 05, 2021 5:00 am

Re: Very sick beardie!! Please help!!!

Postby KarrieRee » Wed May 05, 2021 7:22 am

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post -- the Exo Terra bulb I want you to replace w/ this Arcadia 12% Desert bulb or Euro bulb -- its a way better bulb -- get the fixture off the back wall and hang directly over the basking decor piece 12-15 inches inside the tank and look on behind the bulb there will be a shiny piece of material it will look like tin foil that is a reflector and you want one if you dont have one -- how long is the UVB fixture? If the dragon is an adult the 98 F degrees is good -- nite time temp is good too -- you should have the middle of the tank around 90's F or so --- but we need to get the UVB situated first this is a MUST - it is extremely important for the over all health of the dragon
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 15000
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Very sick beardie!! Please help!!!

Postby Zeezaa87 » Wed May 05, 2021 7:44 am

KarrieRee wrote:https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post -- the Exo Terra bulb I want you to replace w/ this Arcadia 12% Desert bulb or Euro bulb -- its a way better bulb -- get the fixture off the back wall and hang directly over the basking decor piece 12-15 inches inside the tank and look on behind the bulb there will be a shiny piece of material it will look like tin foil that is a reflector and you want one if you dont have one -- how long is the UVB fixture? If the dragon is an adult the 98 F degrees is good -- nite time temp is good too -- you should have the middle of the tank around 90's F or so --- but we need to get the UVB situated first this is a MUST - it is extremely important for the over all health of the dragon


Great. I've ordered the bulb and reflector you have suggested and I will install them on top of the tank. His UVB fixture now is 26".
I was told the mass in his stomach is moveable as in not a solid form yet. Does this sound right to you? Also considering he has had diarrhoea for over a week would it not have passed or moved on its own, is this a common thing with beardies?
They are wanting to operate within a couple of days if he doesn't start to improve...is there anything else I can do?
Zeezaa87
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed May 05, 2021 5:00 am

Re: Very sick beardie!! Please help!!!

Postby KarrieRee » Wed May 05, 2021 7:48 am

Wait for Tracie to respond to this and look at the Xrays-- your using a 26" fixture ? What brand? Are you using a screen on top of the tank? What are you feeding for a diet? This will cause runny stools and the UVB as well -- it plays a huge role in the calcium absorption process
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 15000
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Very sick beardie!! Please help!!!

Postby Zeezaa87 » Wed May 05, 2021 7:55 am

KarrieRee wrote:Wait for Tracie to respond to this and look at the Xrays-- your using a 26" fixture ? What brand? Are you using a screen on top of the tank? What are you feeding for a diet? This will cause runny stools and the UVB as well -- it plays a huge role in the calcium absorption process


The UVB light is 26" I meant. His tank is what he came in with glass sliding doors at the front but the rest is wood. Not sure what you mean by screen at the top of the tank?

When he arrived he had only been eating insects, we aren't aware of much more than that. He was brought to us with a cricket in his tank so assuming it included that, he didn't eat it. Since then we've offered dubia roaches (refused) but he will eat meal worms, morio worms and silk worms. He also has his greens and a variety of occasional fruit and veg (what I originally thought upset his tummy).
Zeezaa87
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed May 05, 2021 5:00 am

Re: Very sick beardie!! Please help!!!

Postby Zeezaa87 » Wed May 05, 2021 8:11 am

[XIMG]111096 95[Click image to enlarge]
47679554[/XIMG][XIMG]111096 9547679554[/X[Click image to enlarge]
IMG][Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]
[XIMG]111096 2522447487[/X[Click image to enlarge]
IMG]
[Click image to enlarge]
Zeezaa87
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed May 05, 2021 5:00 am

Re: Very sick beardie!! Please help!!!

Postby KarrieRee » Wed May 05, 2021 8:35 am

His eyes look terrible ---are you using any kind of colored bulbs in the tank? If so get rid of them NOW-- what kind of top is on the tank? Wood? The UVB needs to go inside the tank w/a distance of 12-15 inches for a T 5 bulb directly above the basking decor piece -- are you using a bright white basking bulb? For his eyes please wash them out w/ some regular saline solution NO contact lens stuff then get some raw unpasteurized honey like Manuka and apply to the eyes - you can use a q-tip mix w/ a little water for some consistency this is going to kill any infection going on there -- do it a couple of times per day and make sure NO crickets are in the tank -- I know you said your feeding morio worms and silk and meal -- what greens are you feeding -- I am wondering if he has parasites -- does the poop stink so bad it makes you want to leave the room smell ? Alot of squash and food like lettuce watermelon green peppers will cause watery stools --
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 15000
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Very sick beardie!! Please help!!!

Postby Zeezaa87 » Wed May 05, 2021 8:43 am

KarrieRee wrote:His eyes look terrible ---are you using any kind of colored bulbs in the tank? If so get rid of them NOW-- what kind of top is on the tank? Wood? The UVB needs to go inside the tank w/a distance of 12-15 inches for a T 5 bulb directly above the basking decor piece -- are you using a bright white basking bulb? For his eyes please wash them out w/ some regular saline solution NO contact lens stuff then get some raw unpasteurized honey like Manuka and apply to the eyes - you can use a q-tip mix w/ a little water for some consistency this is going to kill any infection going on there -- do it a couple of times per day and make sure NO crickets are in the tank -- I know you said your feeding morio worms and silk and meal -- what greens are you feeding -- I am wondering if he has parasites -- does the poop stink so bad it makes you want to leave the room smell ? Alot of squash and food like lettuce watermelon green peppers will cause watery stools --


Hi.
I mentioned about his eyes to vet, they didn't seem concerned. One reguarly weeps and we clean it whilst bathing, they have always been a concern for me. Will go and get the saline solution now. His basking bulb is red is this a problem? Again, sold to us as the norm in pets at home. Does he need a white basking light?
Hes had kale, beet greens and parsley but these were a struggle to get into him. NEVER been a big eater since we had him, its taken him a while (getting temps right) to get him eating ANY greens at all. Has a had a little melon but that was when he first came and was constipated.
No smell at all to his stools.
The roof of his tank is wood.
Thanks
Zeezaa87
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed May 05, 2021 5:00 am

Re: Very sick beardie!! Please help!!!

Postby KarrieRee » Wed May 05, 2021 8:57 am

That is the problem w/ the eyes --- I cannot stress this enough GET RID OF THE COLORED BULB-- that is why the issue w/ the eyes --- please get a bright white basking bulb like this its an example
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/enviro ... gid=500202 start w/ a 100 watt make sure you have a digital probe thermometer and place the probe on the spot where he basks leave 10 min get the temp you want temps 95-100 F for him -- his eyes will start to look normal I am hoping but that is the only cause of the eye thing going on -- take those morio worms and add them to his salads in front of him it will get him eating his salads better along w/ those silk worms too they stick to everything -- but first we need to get his eyes better -- he looks a little thin too -- but I am going to try and help you to get him to eat more so try those things w/ the worms --
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 15000
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Very sick beardie!! Please help!!!

Postby Zeezaa87 » Wed May 05, 2021 9:09 am

KarrieRee wrote:That is the problem w/ the eyes --- I cannot stress this enough GET RID OF THE COLORED BULB-- that is why the issue w/ the eyes --- please get a bright white basking bulb like this its an example
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/enviro ... gid=500202 start w/ a 100 watt make sure you have a digital probe thermometer and place the probe on the spot where he basks leave 10 min get the temp you want temps 95-100 F for him -- his eyes will start to look normal I am hoping but that is the only cause of the eye thing going on -- take those morio worms and add them to his salads in front of him it will get him eating his salads better along w/ those silk worms too they stick to everything -- but first we need to get his eyes better -- he looks a little thin too -- but I am going to try and help you to get him to eat more so try those things w/ the worms --


Ok ordering a new bulb right now too. We have a temp gun is that ok to use?
Will add bugs to his salad, how much would you say he should be eating per day?
He's actually put on a little weight unbelievably since we have hid so god knows how little he was eating before.
No interest in food at all at the mo. About to give him his liquid via syringe and bath so will see if he has any kind of appetite.

Again thanks so so much for your help x
Zeezaa87
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed May 05, 2021 5:00 am

Re: Very sick beardie!! Please help!!!

Postby KarrieRee » Wed May 05, 2021 10:12 am

The correct basking temps and correct lighting are going to increase the appetite unless hes really sick - but w/ him eating now the incorrect lighting is causing the appetite loss -- but the colored bulbs are a big issue-- colored bulbs can cause long term eye damage and they distort their vision -- they have better eyesight than we do -- the heat gun is good it just does not work on hammocks and certain materials on basking decor--- that is why I suggested the digital probe they are the most accurate - I use all 3 gauges in my two tanks ---- stick ons for ambient digital for accuracy and IR guns -- your bright white bulb will start digestion and the UVB will help him process his calcium -- what is the liquid your giving him? He probably is not going to eat much until you get that lighting fixed in the tank-- again tell me what your using for a UVB fixture?
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 15000
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Next

Return to Beardie ER

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users