Skin Discoloration

Status
Not open for further replies.

DtBC

My beardie, Fauntine, started developing discoloration near the base of her tail about 8-9 days ago. At first, it just looked like pre-shed, so I made a vet appointment but not an emergency appointment. I took her to the vet on Wednesday (3 days ago).

He had no idea what it is, but gave us some oral medicine to try for two weeks.

I'm just a little nervous about the mystery of it, so I'm putting some pictures here to see if anyone has seen this before.
It started between her back legs in just a small patch and then spread up her sides and is now on her front legs as well.

The color made me think it is pre-shed, but the skin has a damp consistency to it, not a flakey one (even though I keep her dry) and the individual scales seem raised or swollen.

Some Faunt info for context:
She is 5.5 years old, eats and poops almost daily, gets baths once a week, has a 95-100 degree F basking area and sits about 10 inches away (at the closest point) from her UV and heat lamp.
She doesn't have loose substrate, her tank floor is linoleum.
She gets 1-2 baths a week - unless she seems constipated, then she gets extra to loosen things up.

110471-3063523625.jpg
110471-7622290342.jpg
110471-2270341004.jpg

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Gail

BD.org Addict
Yep, just shed. I wouldn't give any medication, especially if there was no diagnoses.

DtBC

Original Poster
So, there was no definitive diagnosis, but the vet seemed concerned and he prescribed 0.2 mL of Ketoconazole daily for 2 weeks. He said it's just a trial to see if we can't figure out how to treat this because he doesn't know what it is.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The vet gave you an antifungal because he doesn't know that this is just a patch of skin shed. I've owned + raised lots of dragons and that type of uneven shed is somewhat common. Don't give that powerful med. to your dragon, he is not sick and try to find another vet for future problems but this is not a problem.

DtBC

Original Poster
AHBD":iru75n3r said:
The vet gave you an antifungal because he doesn't know that this is just a patch of skin shed. I've owned + raised lots of dragons and that type of uneven shed is somewhat common. Don't give that powerful med. to your dragon, he is not sick and try to find another vet for future problems but this is not a problem.

Okay, thank you very much for the clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom