Beardie dragging back legs + Clumsy movement

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElusiveToaster

I got a bearded dragon about 2 months back and the past couple of weeks I've noticed his movement has been very strange. He seemed to go limp when I handled him (and didn't do this prior), I'm not sure if it's related but it was the first thing I noticed. Then I noticed his moving was very clumsy. It's hard to describe but his legs seemed almost like they were spasming when he was moving? At this point he seems to be dragging his back legs so I'm getting worried. About 4 days ago he also seemed to start avoiding the UVB, staying on the hot side of the vivarium but away from the UVB. I've since moved the log which he usually basks on as I figured it might be too close to the light, but he still hasn't been basking on the log.

He eats plenty of locusts which I dust with calcium and vitamins, and he poops once a day. Can a beardie poop regularly and still be impacted or can I rule that out? The only eating problem he does have is vegetables. He doesn't seem to have much interest in eating vegetables but I place veggies in his vivarium daily anyway.

Also linked a couple of pictures. I wasn't able to get any videos of his movement but you can still see the way his back legs are positioned strangely. The UVB is an Arcadia Pro T5 UVB Desert 12%. Basking lamp is just a habistat basking spot lamp. Temps are usually around 95

PXL-20210430-151133889.jpg

PXL-20210430-154100458-MP.jpg

yonose12

You have to get the uvb mounted on the top of the tank so it's shining down on him. Ideally you want to place it so he can get uvb and heat while basking. I think it should be 12-15 inches away for that bulb. Also make sure you have a reflector behind it. He could be avoiding the uvb because it's shining right in his eyes. Hope that helps!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would get the UVB off the back wall and place directly over him -- he looks like he has/ developing MBD --- the Pro T 5 is a good bulb and I am assuming it has a reflector in the fixture -- it looks like he cannot get underneath it and that is what you want - it needs to shine directly down on him distance should be 12-15 inches directly above him -- please do this ASAP---- after you get this fixed get some BSFL order large and start adding those to the tops of his salads http://www.symtonbsf.com DO NOT dust them they are calcium enriched -- are you dusting the insects? Feed as many as you want of the BSFL they are a good staple feeder -- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Watch his behavior after you get the UVB moved -- I am hoping he can start using the back legs again but please do this ASAP

ElusiveToaster

Original Poster
Alright, thanks for the help. Just ordered the BSFL and will fix the UVB. Very frustrating because I thought it seemed like it made more sense for the UVB to be on the ceiling of vivarium but when setting it up I saw a couple of guides suggesting to place it on the back wall. Should've trusted my own judgement.

I figure it's hard to really say over the internet without actually seeing the beardie's exact condition, but any idea how likely it is that he recovers from this if it is MBD?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He may make some progress but w/ it starting and the UVB properly placed will prevent it from getting any worse --- if you want to know what can happen w/ improper UVB or none at all check out the post MBD -- that dragon is 4 years old--- get yours readjusted and make sure he can get directly under it w/ the distance I posted and watch his behavior and his movement -- I am hoping you can see improvement-- are you giving calcium D3 and how often ? Sorry so focused on the UVB is the basking light a bright white bulb or is it a off yellowish bulb -- if so please get a bright white one --

ElusiveToaster

Original Poster
Yeah, I've seen how bad MBD can be so even if he doesn't improve much I'll be happy for it to get no worse, at least. He has calcium everyday and vitamins 5 days a week. I do think you're correct and he just isn't processing the calcium because of the UVB placement, since I have been making sure to give him plenty of calcium.

The bulb is yellowish, yeah. I'll find a white one ASAP! Ty for the help

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He only needs vitamins two days a week -- let me know if you need anymore help and how he is doing please

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is always frustrating, not being sure on light placement but if you do get it moved then
hopefully he will start to improve pretty quickly. As suggested, vitamins really only need to be
given 1-2 times weekly with calcium 4-5 times per week while he is growing.
I love the Arcadia lights & the T5 tubes are excellent. You should maintain a distance of or
around 10 or so inches, mounted directly beside the basking light.
They can recover pretty well from metabolic bone disease. However, he will always be prone
to bone issues since he has developed it now.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom