Preovulatory Ovarian Stasis???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viperbsd

I took my beardie to the vet for respiratory issues, and they put her on some antibiotics. I was told to come back in 3 days, which I did, and they got her blood work results and took some X-rays. The doctor told me that her calcium levels are very high, which means she could have Preovulatory Ovarian Stasis, and he says that the x-rays confirmed his suspicions. He described this as her eggs “falling into her stomach”. I asked for the x-rays to be emailed to me, and when I looked at them, I couldn’t see anything unusual. I am just worried that I am being played a fool and wasting my money. Here is the X-ray.
107552-8152013253.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you happen to have a copy of the blood tests you could post? Has your girl laid any
eggs prior to now?
It does look like she has eggs but not 100% sure of placement. Has she exhibited any egg
laying behavior yet such as digging or restless behavior? Do you have a laybox for her?
If she is not ill or in distress due to being egg bound, if she is, then they should consider giving
a hormone booster shot of oxytocin to help induce muscle contractions or labor. They can
give a few shots of that before considering surgery for egg removal.
Are you giving a good calcium supplement right now?
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Viperbsd

Original Poster
Drache613":21dr4s9q said:
Hello,

Do you happen to have a copy of the blood tests you could post? Has your girl laid any
eggs prior to now?
It does look like she has eggs but not 100% sure of placement. Has she exhibited any egg
laying behavior yet such as digging or restless behavior? Do you have a laybox for her?
If she is not ill or in distress due to being egg bound, if she is, then they should consider giving
a hormone booster shot of oxytocin to help induce muscle contractions or labor. They can
give a few shots of that before considering surgery for egg removal.
Are you giving a good calcium supplement right now?

Tracie

I just took her to the vet for her next injection, and they referred me to an animal hospital where they could do ultrasounds to get a better look at whats going on. She has displayed “some” laying behaviors. I say “some” because I added a lay box to her vivarium, but all she’d do was dig and then fall asleep. I took it out eventually, as it was just making a big mess everywhere. She is ill. She has mouth rot, and what I believed to be a URI. The doctor claimed that she had onset Pneumonia, but then it suddenly vanished. ? She likes to glass surf, but this could be due to her being in a 40 gal tank (40gal is the largest I can do without breaking my back whilst carrying it down the narrow stairway in my apartment when I move during the summers). If anything, I want to discourage any further ovarian processes, which is partly why the option to have her “spayed” is enticing.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing?
I hope she is having a good day. She hasn't laid yet I am assuming?
Maybe placing the laybox in her tan will help out some. Are you considering getting her
spayed then soon?
Well, at least she doesn't seem to have a respiratory infection, it may be the eggs causing
some breathing issues.
Those glass tanks can definitely be cumbersome climbing up & down stairs, carrying them!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom