Side effects of ponzuril??dragon acting very off,need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shue562

I got my dragon a little over a month ago from a friend who could no longer care for her. Took her for a check up and turns out she was filled with pin worms and coccida. After a round of Albon and fenbenzadole the pinworms are in check but coccidia was not so the vet ordered ponzuril. Since her two doses she has been eating much less ( less then 5 bugs a day and no greens the past two days) and seems “out of it” like not aware of her surroundings and jumpy. By that I mean I’m trying to tong feed her a roach and she doesn’t notice for few seconds that its there , where before she would perk up at just the sight of the tongs. I pet her head and 5 seconds later she reacts and moves eyes or head. The only other thing I changed was her uvb to a reptisun 10 the previous owner had the 5. She’s is basking but hanging out on the cooler side (80- 85) more often. She has been mouth gaping more often as it’s getting warmer the past few days. The highest I’ve seen her basking spot get is 109. I have been keeping her warmer at night 75-80. Also added bene pac plus almost everyday and repta boost a couple times a week ( just to supplement and get extra moisture since her eating was off some days)since the whole treatment began ( over a month ago)and extra water. Some days she’s stays in the same spot for several hours at a time , sometimes pancaked but mostly standing upright. I thought the ponzuril was suppose to be pretty gentle on the system?Any input is appreciated I’m really worried about her.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your dragon is having trouble with medications. Usually, the Ponazuril is supposed to
be a relatively mild medication for coccidia with little to no side effects. Do you happen to
know the dose that was given to her & what the strength of solution?
It is also possible that there is a delay of symptoms caused by the Albon medication which is
a harsh sulfa based medication causing side effects.
For now, I would consider skipping the next dose or at least a couple of doses to allow for her
system to get back to normal.
Is her beard darker in color right now? Try to keep her a little warmer overnight to help with
boosting her immune system & metabolism. Do you have any activated charcoal?
Or you can make an herbal greens blend made out of parsley, cilantro, mint, basil & oregano to
help detox her system.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Shue562

Original Poster
The ponzuril was 30mg/ml at 0.4ml 1 dose every 48 hours for two doses, the last dose given on Sunday . With her change in behavior starting Sunday evening. The albon and fenbrazole she stopped two and a half weeks ago . I am keeping her extra warm at night. I can understand her tummy not feeling great after all the meds but the behavior is what’s really troubling. I do have activated charcoal capsules , how would I use those? Will it make her throw up or just to absorb toxins? I can get the stuff for the herbal blend if that’s better. She hasn’t been into her greens the last couple of days so I could purée it and give it with a syringe. The only thing that perks her up is the sight of a hornworm but even that reaction is delayed now. She’s seems very reactive to noise lately. I live near a busy street so there a lot of car noises. she also has only pooped once in the last 6 days she usually goes 3-4 times a week. Her beard has darkened a bit on the corners for the first time since I’ve had her the past few days but not a full on black bearding. Her beard is a normal color almost all the time. Usually when I’ve handled her , she doesn’t seem as cuddly lately.she would usually fall asleep every evening on my chest while I pet her now she relaxes but then crawls off me to find a place to bury herself(bed pillows or clothes). Thanks for your help.

Shue562

Original Poster
Update she pooped again mushy and not well formed and ate 10 Dubais dusted. Won’t touch her greens . Made her a dandelion and collard greens and banana slurry she’s been drinking that pretty well about 7ml. Still seems out of it and lack luster but was into the hunt during feeding. Poo definitely doesn’t look healthy ?
111056-6211593561.jpg
Also I was doing some research on uvb lighting and I’m realizing that she basically hasn’t been getting any for her whole life. The previous owner got her as a baby and had been using a reptisun 5.0 18” bulb on a 40 gallon tank on top of the fine metal mesh lid. He was also feeding her mostly if not all spinach for her greens. I’m wondering if her being “ out of it” is the beginnings of MBD...?:( I’m so sad

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope she hasn't developed metabolic bone disease, but that could be possible she might
have some calcium issues. Since you have changed her UVB light to the Reptisun 10 tube
then that should definitely help her out a lot!
What is her weight & I can double check the ponazuril dose for you. Have you given her the
second dose yet? Maybe hold off on that at the moment until she starts feeling better. It does
take them several weeks sometimes to completely clear medications out of their systems.
The greens slurry you made is fine, especially since she is taking it so well for you.
As far as the charcoal, just use a small pinch for her mixed in with her slurry to help clear out
her system more. It doesn't take much, per her weight.
Is her beard normal color?
Definitely keep her warm overnight, as you are & hopefully she will start feeling better soon.
Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

Shue562

Original Poster
Her weight at the check up mid March was 360g . I don’t have a scale to weigh her now. She received the second (final) dose sunday. That’s when she started acting different.I added a pinch of charcoal to about 5ml of her slurry today . Should I just give it once or a few doses? She did poop again today , same consistency, seems like there’s partially digested parts. Is there a different med that I could be giving her for the coccida or a natural remedy? Ate a few bugs and some hand fed greens??. I also moved her uvb light inside of the tank where it should be and she kinda seemed to perk up.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, well the 2nd dose so close to the first one was probably just too much for her.
You can give a few more doses of charcoal, to help detoxify her system. That's a great
sign she has eaten & perked up some when she went to go warm up!
Let us know how she is progressing. I hope she is feeling better!

Tracie

Shue562

Original Poster
She was acting a little better today . She had a much better poop. solid and well formed the urate was more on the liquid side but I would imagine that would be expected with all the slurry she’s been drinking. She actually went and ate about half her salad, and a few insects, and some reptaboost. It looks like she is about to start a shed of her back . It looks like things are slowly getting better.:) I am gonna talk to the vet about an X-ray to make sure we are in the clear for MBD. She still seems out of it and I would like to catch it early on. I think during all this she may have lost some weight , any recommendations to help fatten her back up.
111056-5090294429.jpg
I know she looks kinda chunky in that picture.She really pancaked when I moved her uvb inside but I’m definitely noticing some loose skin and her tail a little skinner( I’ll try to get a better pic tomorrow so you can see what I mean)And I don’t think it’s dehydration with all the baths and fluids I give her.I know there’s fattier insects but I don’t want fatty liver disease. She would love to be able to eat all the waxworms.
Thanks for your advise.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great news she is slowly getting better. I think the dose was too much for her so
luckily Ponazuril isn't as toxic as other medications are.
She looks to be of pretty good weight there. When you get a chance, take some other
angles of pictures of her for us. Do you know her weight?
Definitely avoid a lot of fatty foods & just be vigilant with good quality of protein that is
lower in fat such as silkworms or hornworms. A few superworms are fine. Since she is
an adult she doesn't need as much protein as when she was younger.
You can post x-rays here once you get them so we can take a look at them.

Tracie

Shue562

Original Poster
Her weight in March was 360grams. As soon as I get her into the vet I’ll post the X-ray pics. Question I keep noticing a pinkish red in her urate . It’s not all the time maybe two out of her 4or 5 poops a week. Is that normal? It doesn’t look like blood . Her diet is dubia, calciworms, hornworms and waxworms( in order of staple to treat). Salad is usually dandelion , collards, mustard greens , with a veggie like butternut squash, bell pepper ( she avoids the veggies), with treats of banana and grapes about once a week. Her slurry did have some raspberry in it.
111056-4460613765.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing today?
That pinkish color is most likely due to diet or supplementation, but it isn't blood.
How often do you give a vitamin or calcium for her? If too much supplementation is
given it can affect the the coloring or consistency of the urates.
The dandelion greens are very good, so it sounds like she is getting a very good variety
of greens right now!
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Shue562

Original Poster
I haven’t gotten her a multivitamin yet, any suggestions? Calcium w/d3 is 2-3 a week. Her wellness seems to very from day to day. One day she’s eats all her greens herself and is super interested in bugs the next she isn’t. One day her poop is on the mushy side next day it’s perfect. Some days she stays on the cooler side the next she’s basking all day. Some days her eyes look at half mast the next she’s bright. I don’t know how much of this is normal beardie behavior since I’m a new owner(2 months) and how much is her getting over the coccidia or some other issue. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is she doing today? You can use some bee pollen or herptivite vitamins if you wanted
to use vitamins for her. The calcium with D3 a few times a week is fine. They sure can get
picky with their greens too.
If she is having more good days than bad then I would say that is progress. As long as she
is basking & has a decent appetite hopefully her system will kick in. If you have a video to
post that might be helpful. Since she got too much medication, it will most likely take a few
weeks for her to get back to normal. Did you give any probiotics yet? Try some non dairy
organic soy yogurt, or non dairy acidophiluz to help with her tummy.

Tracie

Shue562

Original Poster
I have been given her the bene bac plus gel almost everyday since the start of the parasite diagnosis and treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom