Struggling to breathe? ):

Status
Not open for further replies.

pariscsx

Hi, I hope someone can give me some advice.
I got a 7 month old beardie over a week ago from a place where he wasnt being looked after properly. In a 2ft tank with feces and bugs everywhere.
Since Ive brought him home hes been doing well, a little skittish but he had a lot of changes to deal with.
He was a lil stinky so I gave him a bath on Monday - he did NOT like it and began to frantically get out and I acted as quickly as my hands could move and got him out. I'm now thinking he may have inhaled some water ): about 2 days ago, when I picked him up he made a little squeaky wheezy sound, but hes been eating and pooping so I wasnt so concerned. He was quite lethargic yesterday. Today when I finished work, I fed him and he was fine and then an hour later he just looked... sad. I dont know. I could tell something was wrong. He was continuously gulping and just laid there. I listened to his breathing and there were little pops so of course, RI. I called the vets but couldnt get him in until monday evening. The thing is, he seems to be getting worse. Theres no mucus but every breath is raspy. I currently have him laid on my bare chest under my shirt, with his tail end elevated, to keep him warm while he sleeps and hes just gulping all the time and I can hear his little wheezy breathing noises ): and every 10 minutes or so it seems like he struggles to breathe and it wakes him up and he just stares at me. I feel so helpless and I'm worried that waiting for monday is too long! Is there anything I can do to help him? Make him more comfortable? I'm so so worried. Ive completely fallen in love with him and I really want him to be okay.

I have 2 hygrometers in my tank and the highest either of them have reached is 30 but it's usually 15-25% so I don't think humidity is the problem.

chestermymunchkin

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
chester
humidity is a bit low and also can you go over bulbs/space between floor and bulbs/ and UVB? and also it most definitely sounds like ri and they can get ri from low humidity too! what you can do now is raise the humidity to 30-40% and also can you send pics of him and your tank?

-Alya

pariscsx

Original Poster
I have 2 hygrometers. The one on the cool side reads 25-30% most of the time. And the hot side doesnt get more than 18% even (that's with leaving the water bowl there too.) Someone on here told me that those were okay ):

Tank is 4ft in length and just under 2ft height and width (will be upgrading once hes a year old.)
The basking bulb is on the ceiling and I'm using a 100w exo terra basking bulb with thermostat so it's 40°c at his basking spot, bumped it up a little because I've read that's what I should do with RI. Because the tank is not quite 2ft, his basking platform isnt too high, so he cant burn himself.

Using a 90cm Reptile Systems zone 3 T8 UVB bulb. It's currently along the back wall, though I've been told to move it to the ceiling so I shall be doing that.
I'm not sure exactly how far the UVB is from the basking spot, around 6inches, but hes always trying to get closer to it.

I really think it was the bath. He really freaked out and theres a very good chance he inhaled the water. Other than for the past 2 days he basks fine. He eats fine and is still eating fine.

I wish I'd noticed sooner ): His head is shedding so I assumed the "gulping" was him tryna get the shed moving ):
110968-4732650840.jpg
110968-1771248239.jpg
110968-6327432003.jpg
110968-8530495865.jpg

Sorry for the bad picture of him (that's him right now, moved him from myself to take it) he seems super uncomfortable and I didnt wanna put the big lights on. The other pic is from a couple days ago.
I'm really worried. The popping sounds are getting more frequent. Is he gonna make it to monday? ):

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Sounds like a RI -- get him into a vet for X rays to see if he has fluid in there -- try and keep him warmer at nite like around 80 or so --- here is a website for a reptile vet www.arav.org
You should move your UVB so its directly over him and not on the back wall ----- does the UVB have a reflector on it? From the pic it does not -- if not I would recommend you get one please - what bulb are you using a T 5 or a T 8 -- this is very important that you have this correctly ---

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He is definitely a little cutie! This happens quite often, aspirating fluids when in a bath if they
are trying to get out frantically. He should be ok until Monday, but definitely keep him sleeping on
a slight decline & a little warmer overnight too for help boosting his immune system.
Shedding on the head & face area will definitely cause them to want to push out their beards &
push out or bulge their eyes, etc. However, if he is making crackling or popping noises that is
usually a sign of respiratory issues. Sometimes you can get it cleared up without medication but
it depends on what severity the issue is.
Does he have any appetite right now?
Yes, the tube bulb should be in a light fixture with a reflective backing & mounted directly above
him for the maximal UVB exposure.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

pariscsx

Original Poster
Going to get the uvb moved today, I have a reflector on the way.
Just finished work, got in and he was very excited about having some crickets, even managed to sneak in some butternut squash. He definitely still has an appetite. However once hes done eating he goes back to looking all sad ):
Definitely an RI, last night when he was sleeping on me, his breathing was very raspy/wheezy. The popping noises stop when he's laid at an angle.
He's also just pooped and it was VERY liquidy, not the poop or urate itself but it came out in a large pool of clear liquid.

Hes gulping so much he looks like he has hiccups.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It is very important that you have his lighting correctly so its good your working on that --- make sure his basking temps are 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- hes excreting extra liquid usually means hes hydrated --- NO more baths for now --- and NO ENEMAS when taking him to the vet - make sure you take a fecal in w/ you if they want one you have it -- enemas are too hard on them and alot of times they end in disaster -- this is just in case they want a fecal -- if you dont have one w/ you tell them you will get one and bring it back -- its good hes still eating -- the vet is he a reptile vet? If not here is a website to find a reptile vet
www.arav.org

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom