Swollen belly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so my beardie has a lower respiratory infection. They gave her some medicine. I take her back to the vet for a checkup tomorrow. But I noticed today she was heavier. And I realized her belly was bigger and her back was more arched. She lays around and when taken out she goes to her favorite corner and rests. She hasn’t eaten in a couple days but I assumed it was because she was shedding. But now I’m worried. I thought maybe it could be impacting so I gave her a warm bath and rubbed her belly. Well the white part came out. It was only a little but that was it. And she still isn’t eating. And it’s not eggs because she already had some like two months ago, and they cleared her for egg binding. Any ideas or thought of what it could be?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What is the normal diet? If going to the vet NO ENEMAS!!!!
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=252267
If you believe shes impacted try natural laxatives like canned pumpkin unsweetened applesauce baby prunes ---- feed till she poops---- make sure its a little watery -- the meds are probably effecting the appetite -- How long has she been off the meds and what were they?

Morganfoxxk

Original Poster
She isn’t off the meds yet. They are enrofloxacin twice a day every 12 hours. And her diet isn’t the best lately. More bugs than veggies.

Morganfoxxk

Original Poster
KarrieRee":u2tzpjvl said:
What is the normal diet? If going to the vet NO ENEMAS!!!!
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=252267
If you believe shes impacted try natural laxatives like canned pumpkin unsweetened applesauce baby prunes ---- feed till she poops---- make sure its a little watery -- the meds are probably effecting the appetite -- How long has she been off the meds and what were they?

She isn’t off her meds yet. It’s enrofloxacin twice a day. And her diet hasn’t been that good. More bugs than greens lately

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Did they do an xray to check for eggs ? Because they can lay more than 1 clutch per season. The other possibility is that the meds. might irritate her stomach a bit and cause some bloating. BTW, what type of lights do you use, can you post pics of that too along with the entire set up ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree with AHBD, are you sure that they didn't check further about egg issues? The hunch
back or lump is either metabolic bone disease problems, pain or discomfort on her belly which
would cause her to lift her body up off of the floor. They can lay several clutches, weeks to even
months apart.
What type/brand of UVB are you using?

Tracie

Morganfoxxk

Original Poster
Drache613":71obdaul said:
Hello,

I agree with AHBD, are you sure that they didn't check further about egg issues? The hunch
back or lump is either metabolic bone disease problems, pain or discomfort on her belly which
would cause her to lift her body up off of the floor. They can lay several clutches, weeks to even
months apart.
What type/brand of UVB are you using?

Tracie

So I just went to the vet. The did X-rays and said her liver was swollen. They said that could be eggs or a liver problem. They said they can’t take blood and sent me to a different doctor an hour+ away. They said she also has fluid in her abdomen and that could mean gout. They said they needed to keep her overnight. They said in the morning they could run more tests. And touch base with me. I need advice cause she does lay eggs often. And the bill will be over 2,000 that’s a lot to pay, for just eggs. But if it is serious I need to know. Help???

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Blood test for uric acid will tell you if it's gout! Have them test for uric acid levels first- not sure about the other things Tracie is gonna haft to help you there or ahbd--

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing, is she staying overnight at the vets?
Please post the blood test results so we can see what could be going on. It definitely could
be eggs, a swollen liver or possible gout. We would have to see what the blood tests say,
first.
I hope she gets to feeling better soon. Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Morganfoxxk

Original Poster
Drache613":3v2myp4q said:
Hello,

How is your girl doing, is she staying overnight at the vets?
Please post the blood test results so we can see what could be going on. It definitely could
be eggs, a swollen liver or possible gout. We would have to see what the blood tests say,
first.
I hope she gets to feeling better soon. Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Hi! Okay so they said it’s eggs! And they are trying to “induce” her to have them because they say they could rupture her because she has eggs a lot. They said she still hasn’t had any and are gonna try again. They wanna keep doing it until she has them. Do you guys recommend that? She’s never had a problem laying eggs before. But they say the recommend doing it this way because it could prevent a surgery. But they say I could take her home Monday and see if she will do it by herself. What do you guys think? Let them keep trying to induce the eggs or bring her home Monday?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I thought it would be eggs. The way they induce laying is by giving a shot of oxytocin so after they do that it's best to have her at home in familiar surroundings for sure. Being in a strange place is always more stressful and they don't always have the right set up.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So she has a lot of eggs then? I wouldn't give too many doses of the oxytocin, so it doesn't
become dangerous for her. If her eggs have dropped then most of the time the initial oxytocin
shot usually works.
I agree, keeping her at home at her laybox would definitely be more comfortable & have less
stress than being kept at the vets.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Morganfoxxk

Original Poster
AHBD":3lqdl7el said:
I thought it would be eggs. The way they induce laying is by giving a shot of oxytocin so after they do that it's best to have her at home in familiar surroundings for sure. Being in a strange place is always more stressful and they don't always have the right set up.

She’s back home!!!
If she doesn’t have her eggs within a week they want me to bring her back so they can try to induce her again. Idk tho. Because she’s never had a problem laying eggs before. I think they just maybe want the money. Any thoughts??

Morganfoxxk

Original Poster
Morganfoxxk":6fdlhjvk said:
AHBD":6fdlhjvk said:

She’s back home!!!
If she doesn’t have her eggs within a week they want me to bring her back so they can try to induce her again. Idk tho. Because she’s never had a problem laying eggs before. I think they just maybe want the money. Any thoughts??

Okay, so I thought biggie was gonna lay her eggs last night because she was in here nesting box. This morning when I got home from work her enclosure was a wreck! Dirt from her box everywhere. But anyways I seen her tail lift up and it seems like she is pushing (but nothing is coming out) But she is also running around crazily, and digging at the reptile carpet and dirt and the glass. Is this normal???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom