Possible swollen leg, any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my lil dragon has never been quite right, I’ve been posting a fair bit recently, ever since I got her she’s just not seemed right, but I looked at her leg today and noticed it looks a little swollen not just chonky.

She has a 12 desert T5 tube and 41C basking spot, 40% humidity, fed in mealworms and dubias. Spring greens arugula and dandelion greens but she doesn’t eat salad much, bathed every other day as she only poops there and then drinks there too(clean water of course)

Calcium without D3 4/7 days calcium with d3 1/7 and vitamins 2/7.

She hasn’t really got much of an appetite but coming back a little it seems since the new viv, however lethargy or lack of movement still there but she does lift herself up on all fours and move when she does, just doesn’t happen much.

However when I was handling her today I noticed one of her legs seemed a little swollen, here you are:

https://ibb.co/WvfN477
https://ibb.co/k5MKdcT

Not sure how do do photos properly

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
ok well that eliminates that cause then--- is it just the one arm your seeing? Can you post a pic of her whole body and legs from above like you did before please

JakeDagger

Original Poster
It’s just that arm yes! I made sure to check the rest of her ASAP and she looks pretty healthy I think but that’s just from my stupidly anxious research and panicking, she’s my first lizard and I’d be heartbroken if I did anything wrong. Just a quick note, she has just gone into a new viv where she is spending much more time basking after a conversation with you a little bit ago saying how uvb might’ve been too much for her, and upped calc without d3 but because of her appetite I’m limited to how much gets into her so wondering if maybe it was the lack of appetite and therefor calcium which has caused it, as now she is spending a lot of time basking and slowly eating maybe 1-2 worms more a day, still no greens:( gonna make a slurry tomorrow and try get 1-3ml into her, but still no like chasing bugs or hunting them in her bowl she will only eat if I hold them with tongs in front of her.

Pics of her body as best as I could find, she’s asleep right now.

https://ibb.co/52P3ts7
https://ibb.co/hY8CXtC
https://ibb.co/v3q2WNd

JakeDagger

Original Poster
It’s that front left which seems to be swollen, the front right was still soft and not as big, as you might see in the first photo I sent

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I will have some one else look at her -- are you dusting her bugs? That is one way to get calcium into her and she looks of good weight --- dont force feed her -- let her eat on her own -- was she eating greens before you moved her-- she will go thru relocation stress -- w/ good lighting and basking temps she should go back to her eating again -- give it some time --

JakeDagger

Original Poster
She’s always been troublesome, whether it be bad poops, lack of appetite or lethargy. She went on parasite meds at Christmas and the appetite was back for a bit then gone.

She gets all her food dusted as I wrote in the first post, 7 days a week she will calcium, calcium with d3 or vitamins. Today was vitamins. Ok I won’t force it, I always offer veggies and bugs but she’ll never eat unless I tong feed. She used to hunt so well in the bowls though.

Never really been a fan of veggies but always offered fresh daily and before the appetite went the first time she would sometimes eat them if I refused bugs till she ate but at the moment I just wanna get her eating anything so don’t want to refuse anything.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Dragons appetites will slow down and they may not eat everyday--- she looks healthy -- I have a couple of people going to look at her -- see what they say --

JakeDagger

Original Poster
Thank you so much, I spoke to my vet the other day after fecal results and she’s going to have a 3 day course of panacur but I just want my dragon to be healthy energetic and hunting. I hate seeing her not hungry and lethargic and makes me feel so sad and I’m constantly anxious about it. The vet said I’m doing everything I can and it can take weeks for improvements to show, but if nothing changes or anything gets worse I’m gonna have to go into overdraft for X-rays ultrasounds and blood tests but I’ll do anything for her. Thank you for getting people to look I really appreciate it.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree she looks very healthy. Adults + sometimes even sub adults may go through phases of lack of appetite, it's not harmful at all. They are built for it. One thing I noticed that you do need to change is to cut out the calcium + D3 every day, that's waaaaay too much vit. D. Cut it out for a week or two, then just use regular calcium twice a week, with D3 just once a week. Your good uvb bulbs will keep her healthy and producing D3.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Your girl looks really good, but I do see the swelling in the arm. That is the only arm with
swelling on it? There isn't any way that she could have injured herself?
The T5 you are using, is it an Arcadia or a Reptisun?
As AHBD suggested, definitely reduce or cut out the D3 completely. That can become toxic
when used too frequently & the T5 should allow for sufficient D3 synthesis also. For an adult,
calcium 3 times per week is plenty & vitamins one time per week is good.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

JakeDagger

Original Poster
So I don’t actually use calcium with d3 everyday after doing research on this forum about a week ago I realised what I was doing and stopped straight away, I was planning on doing that cald3 once a week but I will never give her that one, I’ll keep using my normal cal without d3 and vitamins, the bulb is an Arcadia 12% desert T5 and I think it’s 34” in a 48” viv. She may have got it caught somehow but I’m not sure what I’m she only has rocks and bark, and same in her previous viv. It’s the only swollen leg yeah, everything else is fine. No actually I say that she has one swollen toe but the vet said unless it’s pink or immobile I shouldn’t worry. But that’s it yes, as you can see in all the pictures. I just want a happy dragon:( I may also mention she has just gone into a bioactive 120 gal viv so relocation stress will be a thing but she didn’t really have an appetite at all for a while, slowly started getting worms into her so maybe the d3 was too much? And when she hadn’t eaten in ages she got over it? As she went for a period of eating nothing at all

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K., good that you adjusted the D3. And yes, they can go while without eating, it happens to a lot of dragons. Relocation stress can also be a factor, her going to the totally new environment.

JakeDagger

Original Poster
I’m glad she looks healthy otherwise, I really do try my absolute best, I’ve just ordered some fresh Dubia, mealworms and calci worms so I can start again fresh and gutload properly and also give her a chance to get hungry so I can try some veggies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom