Constant battle with Parasites? Infection? Wrong care?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i got Meeko last summer, and i wasnt sure of her age but she is currently 17-18" and the last vet visit i was told she was of a good weight for her length, but not sure what that was. this is my first reptile and im doing everything i can for her and i just want her to thrive and scurry around!

Care info:
4x1x1.5
100w basking bulb on dimming thermo
39w T5 10%(replaced twice)
40C basking 28C cool side measured with probes and temp gun
slate tiles for substrate
cleaned weekly with hot soapy water and reptile disinfectant
fed mealworms, superworms and dubia roaches
calcium with D3 5/7 and multi vits 2/7
not very good at eating greens but offered daily squash, pepper and spring greens
30-35% day humidity
no less that 20C at night

So ever since i got her, her poops were never great, really smells and unformed... but her energy, inquisitiveness and appetite were amazing, especially when i switched from crickets to small dubia nymphs and mealworms. shedding well, enjoying baths and sometimes ate greens. however then her appetite almost vanished, then the lethargy kicked in, and then really gross stinky runny poop. i straight away found a nearby reptile vet and took her, as i didnt have a fecal sample as she wasnt eating so no poop, she gave me a treatment of wormer and something else for her. i also got some vermx for dragons to boost her gut flora. her appetite came back but energy not so much, but in the bath she was swimming and flourishing for some reason. then later for about a month she ate very little and didnt move much at all, i wondered if it was brumation and after asking some friends with beardies they though so too, however she has perked up a little but still barely an appetite or moving. i rang my vet a week or two ago and she suggested a fecal test which i sent off this morning as i had to use PALS as vets didnt have a lab in house, and if thats negative then we will have to re think, she did say maybe she is gravid although a little young. I did wonder whether i had two dud uvb tubes so got a MVB and that didnt do a thing after a week except hurt my bank.

I am certain it is parasites as she hasnt shed in a while, lethargic, barely an appetite, mucus in poop and sometimes a little blood afterwards. her eyes look fine and im offering her baths every other day and water on the snout to keep her hydrated, and calcium supplements and vitamins where i can every meal although sometimes i feel cruel trying to temp her with bugs when she clearly doesnt want them, i just want my monster back:( shes never been normal:(

I have a new bioactive 120 gallon tank ready for her which i just posted about(if anyone has knowldge or advice on that please go add!) and i am not willing to put her in there until she perks up a little and im sure its not parasites! and its good to let it establish anyway! Thank you everyone for reading, feel free to ask any more questions! If you want photos of her or her old and new setup i can! and i may have questions regarding new setup if they arent answered on other post.

if anyone has anything they could add or advise me on id really appreciate it as its a constant daily anxiety and stress of mine although i feel im doing everything i can for her, i dont like animals sufffering:(

chestermymunchkin

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
chester
hello! you are literally dealing with the same thing I am rn but I can definitely give you some advice I'm dealing w coccidia with my baby and what I'm feeding him while his apatite is lost is oxbow critical care! it works amazingly and he loves it I recommend carnivore because my bb prefers it a lot and it will give her a boost on nutrients and also try to increase her humidity because it could be causing her to be dehydrated and lethargic and also when my bb losses his parasites I'm making him 120-gallon bioactive tank too :lol: :D looks like we have the same plans!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexreynolds
Top Bottom