Gastric Neuroendocrine Tumor- Enlarged Liver Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

HerpMama

Hi, I love my Schmitty and have always done well with lighting, a variety of organic greens, used the stuff to make tap water safe to bathe in, actually gave him bottled water to drink, rescued him as an unhealthy 2 year old neglected starving poor little beardie boy. I've had him for 3 years and he has been the single most sweet and cuddly animal I have ever had the privilege and honor to care for and call my friend or child. Really he has helped me make it through some very tough times, and I can't bear to see him suffer.

I've taken him to the vet always for annual exams or whenever anything has been wrong. He doubled in size the first year we had him. I had him in a huge enclosure. The, the best lighting. Daily cuddles. Regular bath time.

Yesterday he was diagnosed with Gastric Neuroendocrine Tumor. He was just fine had a clear bill of health, healthy fecal sample a few weeks ago just had an eye issue last week. The vet said he had a small bit of shed skin stuck in his eye, so that was irritating him. Now yesterday he had a black beard and seemed really lethargic so I knew he wasn't himself. I took him to the vet for some blood tests and for them to basically find out what is going on and how we can help Schmitty feel better. I was told that he has an enlarged liver, a tumor, and his glucose is level was high, which is unusual for bearded dragons. This GNT that the vet thinks he has is such a new issue popping up with many bearded dragons, apparently there is no real cure. Im completely devastated and I cannot stand the thought of losing him.

Vet has him on an antibiotic and agreed with my desire to try the enzyme serrapeptase. I have to grind up the pill and give it to him in liquid or with apple sauce. Im so worried he is in pain, so I looked up some natural and safe remedies that may possibly help him with pain. All I could really find was the idea of giving him some chamomile tea. So I mixed his antibiotics, serrapeptase and some green powdered spirulina/kale/moringa superfood mix into some freshly brewerd chamomile tea and a dollop of applesauce of baby food and all of that ended up being about 10 ml. Im using a syringe to feed him.

I'm so distraught. Anybody know about Gastric Neroendocrine Tumors? Do bearded dragons ever survive this? Anyone have any other ideas of how I can help extend the life of my beloved Schmitty? I've been crying pretty much nonstop since I got this news yesterday. Im still waiting to hear from my vet on another blood test result, and she will create a plan of what she thinks should be done.

I'm open to hearing any advice. He is 5 years old and of a good healthy weight of about 1lb. I love him so much like he is my biological child. Please help me if you have any information about how he could possibly survive this. Thanks.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry, this seems to be an increasing issue, I agree. It usually does not have a
good outcome, but there is a lot to learn about it.
You mentioned that the liver is enlarged, correct? Which antibiotic are you giving right now,
along with the serrapeptase? That particular enzyme is great so I would definitely continue to
use that daily, it is very safe.
Did they mention fatty liver at all or just that he has a tumor or is that confirmed?
If you have a copy of the blood test results, feel free to post them here & we can take a look
at them.
Do you have any pictures of him?
Lactulose can be helpful for fatty liver, for short term use.
Is the eye issue cleared up now?
I am sorry Schmitty is having these problems!

Tracie

HerpMama

Original Poster
His vet didn't mention fatty liver no. The vet is still waiting on some of the blood work results to come back. Yes I can share when I get it. Im not sure the name of the antibiotics, I will double check the name and get back to you.

HerpMama

Original Poster
Drache613":2ch6snox said:
Hello,

I am so sorry, this seems to be an increasing issue, I agree. It usually does not have a
good outcome, but there is a lot to learn about it.
You mentioned that the liver is enlarged, correct? Which antibiotic are you giving right now,
along with the serrapeptase? That particular enzyme is great so I would definitely continue to
use that daily, it is very safe.
Did they mention fatty liver at all or just that he has a tumor or is that confirmed?
If you have a copy of the blood test results, feel free to post them here & we can take a look
at them.
Do you have any pictures of him?
Lactulose can be helpful for fatty liver, for short term use.
Is the eye issue cleared up now?
I am sorry Schmitty is having these problems!

Tracie

The antibiotic is called Metronidazole. The vet suspects the GNT due to increased glucose level and enlarged liver.

Chamomile tea seems to help calm him and I also gave him some pain medication the vet prescribed for him today called me meloxicam.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, great thanks. Metronidazole/Flagyl is prescribed for appetite & treatment of amoebas
& flagelletes. I hope he wont have to be on it long term though, just a short regime.
The chamomile is helpful & has healthful benefits so you can definitely continue using
that for him. The meloxicam or metacam can be given short term also to help manage
pain. Have you tried CBD oil yet?
Please keep us posted on him, I hope that he can improve.

Tracie

HerpMama

Original Poster
Thank you for your reply. I have not tried CBD, vet said not enough research has been done on it. She's not sure how it may react to what he has going on. Still haven't gotten bloodwork back. She emailed me and said perhaps the bloodwork will show her some can treat, but that if her suspicion is correct and that it is in fact GNT, she's not sure what else she can do. Im still giving him the meds listed according to vet and the serrapeptase, a well as chamomile tea twice a day and even putting chamomile tea bags in his daily warm baths because he is constipated also. My poor baby. ?? I just want him to be better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom