Bearded dragon without tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a bearded dragon thats about 7 years old. Our dog got startled an ran into the tank. Why I don't know. The tank is cracked an broke badly. Where even pieces of glass got on the dragon an all over the floor bottom. Haven't seen any bleeding or cuts on the dragon. But with covid an having money issues currently. Can't afford a new tank that's 18x18x36 for a adult 2 feet long dragon. He is currently in a cricket keeper or hamster carrier. Anyway to start a go fund for him for a new tank or new home that can care for him better then I can currently. I been diagnosed with stage 2 prostate cancer. Where I feel vertigo an weak. Hes been my go to an been with me though this an treatment. Just hoping he can live in a cricket keeper until I can get him new home. Have photos of him an broken tank ? but don't know how upload with this thread. Just very upset this happen an even the uvb bulb an fixture are broken ?. Only easy fix is the heat bulb that broke also. I never needed help an don't ask for it. But I have to for him. He's been with me so long an though so much. Only thing I can do is have him put down but he's been doing very well. With mbd disease an condition where he can't put on weight. He started eating greens an crickets/superworms over late summer an this winter. I know no one would want to take care of a old dragon with some issues. But I just can't leave him for dead in a little keeper thing I had laying around. Just asking for help an even Jesus hands for him. Wish this could of been avoided but with tank next to a window. An a cat crying outside it dog went crazy. Just don't know what to do. Can't even afford a 20gal just get lighting on him. Just feel very ill an freaking sad over this.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's rough luck. They can do OK outside of an enclosure if need be. Do you have a way of hanging the basking light fixture anywhere? You could set it up in a safe corner of a room and let him bask there.

If you want to post photos, you can upload them here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You might want to get a hold of animal rescue center and have the take the dragon in --- tell them your situation and see if they can help-- or try a reptile vets office here is a website to find one in your area www.arav.org

Beardeddragon090

Original Poster
Hello,
I mounted a heat lamp but the UVB fixture nothing mount it to. Just doesn't seem to wanna sit under it. I will check this website an see if anyone can take him.
full
full
full

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
How wide is the tank and your uvb hiid? You can set it width wise on the tank next to the basking light- what is the brand and bulb of the UVB-- a T 8 or T 5- distance plays a role here for effectiveness of the rays

Beardeddragon090

Original Poster
KarrieRee":13cio64g said:
How wide is the tank and your uvb hiid? You can set it width wise on the tank next to the basking light- what is the brand and bulb of the UVB-- a T 8 or T 5- distance plays a role here for effectiveness of the rays
181/2 inches tall an using a reptisun t5 ho tube hood. Tank is missing glass an is very jagged. With my opinion unsafe for him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Have you tried looking on FB marketplace or Craigslist for tanks?

SPandS

Juvie Member
Is it just the back glass? Can you remove all the glass and put something in it's place like cardboard? Anything is better than a cricket keeper. Do you have any storage bins you could use? Even an empty bath tub if you could safely put the lights above it.

I know you said he had mbd and it's been hard for him to put on weight but the poor thing looks starved. How often does he eat and does he seem hungry when you offer him food?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can use a plastic 20 gallon tote as well w/ your basking light clamped to the side or set up a tank like this
97951-1320896047.jpg

Beardeddragon090

Original Poster
The tank is a exo terra 18x18x36 long. I haven't checked Craigslist will after this post. The tank has no doors an right side an back glass are very damaged. Where its pretty much nothing I can do with. I have a tote thats black with two yellow covers. Just don't have anything mount a heat lamp over head. Sure 22" uvb fixture would go across.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can get a dome w/ a clamp from petsmart or petco -- I would get a 75 bright white basking bulb for the tote if its a 20 gallon- you will need to watch the temps as they will heat up quickly so make sure you have a digital probe thermometer- the 22 " UVB is a T 5 ? If so leave the screen off the tote and place it width wise on one end basking decor should be 12-15 inches directly under it -- if you have a screen you can place the screen butted up to the UVB w/ the basking bulb on top of screen - so you have the basking area all together that way -

Beardeddragon090

Original Poster
I used the tote but my dog got my beardie. He's in bad shape back legs will not move. Laying down with eyes closed. Pretty sure he has be put down but vet won't until I get 99 payment :(. Very crushed an overwhelmed over this.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That is terrible- take the dragon to a rescue shelter and see if they will put the dragon down - maybe a vets office will do it w/ out payment - humane services-- that poor dragon is suffering

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Did you get him into a rescue shelter or some help for him? That is terrible --- if you did not the dragon was suffering this whole time --- he hung on as long as he could ---- this is heartbreaking :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom