Swollen Toe (kind of pink)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisCow

I recently got a bearded dragon named Cashew, she is 2.5 years old and is so sweet and friendly im so glad to have been able to give her a new home but I noticed one of her toes is swollen and kind of pinkish, im not sure if it's from an injury or an infection. I've had her for about 4 days now and it isn't getting any worse but I wouldn't say it's getting better.
Her old tank use to be extremely crowed and while cleaning everything throughly I found some red ants in the tank as well (poor girl) im starting to think I should take her to a vet to make sure it's not an infection or if it is that it can be treated. I don't think it's stuck shed bc if the color and the feel of the toe (A little softer then the others) but I think it might be an injury just because she is very active and is missing a nail on the back foot of the same side.

So far I've been staying ontop of cleaning her tank as well as giving her a bath (she had poop all over her butt and just reeked when I got her) which has helped with the smell, her basking spot sits at about 95-102 °F and she eats well (about 4-6 mealworms and some veggies)

(Sorry if this isn't the right thread for this post)

ChrisCow

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3k0jpyyw said:
Please post a pic of the toe
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on the XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
did you get rid of the ants in the tank ? What are you using for a UVB? coil or tube ?

Sorry im new to this website but here is an image
110844-4920383678.jpg

Also I have both but use the coil for basking as it gets warmer then at night when I need to drop the temperature ill use the tube light

And yes I gave the tank a good clean and scrubbed everything out so there isn't any more ants in the tank or on any rocks or her hides and stuff

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok so the coil is a basking light? I would get rid of it for a solid bright white basking -- like a Exo Terra Intense basking bulb they are solid not a coil -- get one that keeps temps 95-100 for a adult bearded dragon-- taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-- the UVB is a tube what brand and bulb? and where in the tank is it -- distance and placement is crucial between the bulbs--- I am thinking a ant bit her or do you have a hammock in the tank? If so she could of snagged the toe in the hammock

ChrisCow

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1ff56uim said:
Ok so the coil is a basking light? I would get rid of it for a solid bright white basking -- like a Exo Terra Intense basking bulb they are solid not a coil -- get one that keeps temps 95-100 for a adult bearded dragon-- taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-- the UVB is a tube what brand and bulb? and where in the tank is it -- distance and placement is crucial between the bulbs--- I am thinking a ant bit her or do you have a hammock in the tank? If so she could of snagged the toe in the hammock

I just recently got her and everything she has came with her, I actually have 3 bulbs, a tube, a coil, and a round bulb. The tube gives off a white color as does the coil and the round bulb is more of a daylight color. As for the distance they are just sitting ontop of the lid for the tank, its a standard 40 gallon so it's about 12 inches from the rock and that is usually around 98°F in the spot during the day.

There is a hammock in the tank that I don't really like, she doesn't use it, just kinda of in the tank right now hanging over the water container.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
ok so I need you to post the lighting in the tank so I can see it---- the tube will have the brand and bulb on it look for T 8 or T 5 these things I am asking about is extremely important since your dragons over all health and behavior depend on this --- I cannot express this enough -- how are you getting basking temps?

ChrisCow

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1hkx605n said:
ok so I need you to post the lighting in the tank so I can see it---- the tube will have the brand and bulb on it look for T 8 or T 5 these things I am asking about is extremely important since your dragons over all health and behavior depend on this --- I cannot express this enough -- how are you getting basking temps?

For basking Temps I'm using a zoo med digital for a general idea and but I know what it displays is lower then what the actual tempt is so I keep an eye on it and when I need to ill go in using a gun to make sure it's not too hot or too cold
The tube light has "Thrive" on it as well as T8 on it

Also I currently have reptile carpet in there but im planning on switching to sand in the future but here is my tank set up for the time being
(I have her out with me right now)
110844-6902290890.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please get rid of the Thrive UVB bulb they are basically junk---- please get this bulb Reptisun 10.0 T 8 they are the best on the market as of now--- please place it in the tank w/ NO clear plastic cover over the bulb approx 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor piece -- the probe is the most accurate for temps -- IR guns can get thrown off by materials of basking decor --- please use the probe the IR gun will not read off of a hammock -- is there a reflector in the UVB fixture? Please look it will be a shiny piece behind the bulb--- Please NO sand -- the reptile carpet is better than sand - sand is unsanitary harbors bacteria -- if you want to get rid of the carpet opt for textured NON adhesive shelf liner or some slated ceramic tile -- cheaper and easier to clean up w/ vinegar/ and water 50/50-- the UVB is going to aid in getting the toe healed -- I am gonna have some others on here look at the toe and advise as to how to treat -- also the basking bulb is a coil? Please tell me what are in those domes? If anyone of them is colored please DONT USE it

ChrisCow

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2jykgess said:
Please get rid of the Thrive UVB bulb they are basically junk---- please get this bulb Reptisun 10.0 T 8 they are the best on the market as of now--- please place it in the tank w/ NO clear plastic cover over the bulb approx 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor piece -- the probe is the most accurate for temps -- IR guns can get thrown off by materials of basking decor --- please use the probe the IR gun will not read off of a hammock -- is there a reflector in the UVB fixture? Please look it will be a shiny piece behind the bulb--- Please NO sand -- the reptile carpet is better than sand - sand is unsanitary harbors bacteria -- if you want to get rid of the carpet opt for textured NON adhesive shelf liner or some slated ceramic tile -- cheaper and easier to clean up w/ vinegar/ and water 50/50-- the UVB is going to aid in getting the toe healed -- I am gonna have some others on here look at the toe and advise as to how to treat -- also the basking bulb is a coil? Please tell me what are in those domes? If anyone of them is colored please DONT USE it

I do plan on switching out the lights, currently everything I have for her is what she came with when I took her in
As for the lights the coil and tube light are more white lights will the round bulb is more of a natural light color hence why the left side is more yellow.

I'll look into getting the tube bulb you recommended also thank you for the suggestion of not doing the sand, ive just been looking to switch from the carpet i don't really like it because of how much it held in the smell of the poop and how gross they can get, while washing the old one before I got a new one the water was YELLOW from how gross it was (really shows how poorly the old owner took care of her especially when you factor in the toe, how much she reeks, and how crowded her old set up use to be)
I believe the tube light doesn't have the reflective stuff on the back but I could be wrong.
Generally when I use the gun I measure both the rock and cashew (the beardie) herself to get a better idea of the her temp and the temp of the rock in her area.

I do plan on changing around her tank, changing the lights and other parts of the tank but as of right now this is her original set up and what I have to settle with right now

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so if there is no reflector on that fixture of which I have seen that Thrive fixture they do not come w/ reflectors in them that is why I asked --- I am going to post links to what you need for bulbs when you change that out and it needs to be ASAP as of now shes getting NO UVB -- she needs that and basking temps to be correct in order for her to thrive and be healthy -- if not she will quit eating and get sick --- so please be aware --
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html 22" bulb they are currently out of stock so I am sending you to this website
https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-100-uvb-high-output-bulbs?variant=40630
I dont know what that off color bulb is your using but you dont need it -- what are your night time temps - check first thing in the morning you dont want them below 65 at nite -- let me know I will help you get a fixture and bulb for that -- you want a temp of the whole tank - set the digital probe thermometer in the back of the tank center wall it will pick up the tanks temp-- No lights on at nite photo period 12 hrs on 12 hrs off --- we can go over her diet if you like --

ChrisCow

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3tk915sc said:
Ok so if there is no reflector on that fixture of which I have seen that Thrive fixture they do not come w/ reflectors in them that is why I asked --- I am going to post links to what you need for bulbs when you change that out and it needs to be ASAP as of now shes getting NO UVB -- she needs that and basking temps to be correct in order for her to thrive and be healthy -- if not she will quit eating and get sick --- so please be aware --
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html 22" bulb they are currently out of stock so I am sending you to this website
https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-100-uvb-high-output-bulbs?variant=40630
I dont know what that off color bulb is your using but you dont need it -- what are your night time temps - check first thing in the morning you dont want them below 65 at nite -- let me know I will help you get a fixture and bulb for that -- you want a temp of the whole tank - set the digital probe thermometer in the back of the tank center wall it will pick up the tanks temp-- No lights on at nite photo period 12 hrs on 12 hrs off --- we can go over her diet if you like --

The link to the last light looks just like the bulb I have in there but for now ill look into getting a new tube light For the enclosure to make sure she's getting UVB

For the night time temperatures its usually sits around 72 or 73 I try to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get too warm or cold because I'm currently in the process of getting new roofing so we don't have any ac or heating for the house so the temperature can be a bit all over if I don't pay attention to the inside and outside temperature of the house
I've been looking into getting a ceramic bulb for the night time but I don't know if that would be good for her or okay to get

As for her diet the only issue I have with her is trying to get her to eat fruits and veggies, which is something I'm trying to work with her on, each day I've been trying a few different things to see what she does and doesn't like and currently I've been giving her mealworms since Its what u have until I set up a box for crickets so I can breed them as well. I've only had her since Friday, March 26th, I've sprinkled some reptile calcium into her food when feeding once, and plan to once again tomorrow. But she has been eating good and doesn't seem stressed about being in a new environment from what I can tell from her stress lines on her belly.
My main concern is infact that toe still, it is kind of soft and just as swollen as when I got her a couple days ago, I know it isn't extra shed stuck from how it feels. It doesn't seem to bother her too much when I touch it or when she's doing her thing which is good but I don't know if she snagged her toe on something, if it was one of those fire ants, or if it's infected bc her tank wasn't the cleanest before I got her

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your night time temps are good -- CHE's are good for keeping tanks at nite 65-75 and if the dragon is sick then you want the tank warmer and if the basking bulb isnt doing the trick of keeping the tank the temps you need for basking- but you want that bright white bulb to do that -- as far as the toe I 've contacted a couple of people on here to look at it -- one is our vet tech mod shes on late at nite -- meal worms are not a good staple feeder -- you want crickets dubia roaches silk worms or BSFl for a staple feeder - I would recommend getting him / her some BSFL from here http://www.symtonbsf.com
try those to get her to the food bowl - what was her diet before you got her?

ChrisCow

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2lf8xbms said:
what was her diet before you got her?

As I've said everything I have I got with her so before she was eating crickets, mealworms, and mealworm beetles as well as what looks to be parsley or cilantro in some of the photos of her tank that the previous owner sent me but it looks like she just pushed it all around and didn't really eat it.
The guy I got her from wasn't too interested and didn't tell me too many details just kinda pushed her away and wanted to get rid of her quickly.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok I will get a nutrition website posted tomorrow- I am hoping both Tracie and ahbd respond here soon Tracie is on at night

ChrisCow

Original Poster
ChrisCow":1kwb4jxj said:
KarrieRee":1kwb4jxj said:
what was her diet before you got her?

As I've said everything I have I got with her so before she was eating crickets, mealworms, and mealworm beetles as well as what looks to be parsley or cilantro in some of the photos of her tank that the previous owner sent me but it looks like she just pushed it all around and didn't really eat it.
The guy I got her from wasn't too interested and didn't tell me too many details just kinda pushed her away and wanted to get rid of her quickly.

Okay, thank you so much for all the help and advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom