Found a free beardie but something isnt right

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never owned a beardie looking to start owning them, more reptiles etc. I have done some research ofc on them from the basking areas to uvb in details. I found on craigslist a free beardie one year old with enclosure included calcium powder etc. I noticed soemthing very odd which seemed like early signs of mbd (metabolic bone disease) he front left leg seems to be out of place looks a little flabby and twisted every otherleg fine . i also noticed a sort of hump on his back also a sign. as a begginer im not sure what to do. shoudl i risk taking him in since its in early stages and a younger age can i help this beardie? from the pictures hes been seeming to live on an overload a mealies which i know is not the best as in protein content they lack it.and pellets and peas. Now thats by the piture,and this would make very much sense as to why he is starting to get mbd . He is lacking protein to keep his bones from going all flabby and loose! i feel bad i wan to help but me being a beginner not sure if i can. please help! :(

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Unfortunately a lot of the dragons listed on Craigslist have been mistreated or just not properly cared for. They tend to be in desperate need of a good home, but often require a lot of care and may wind up with a lot of vet bills. It will be important to invest in high quality lighting and proper diet at a minimum so you'll want to set aside enough money to take care of all of these things if you decide to proceed with adopting him. We can help advise you on proper setup and diet and some basic care. It would also be a good idea to check with vets in your area to find one who is experienced with treating bearded dragons. Rescuing a dragon in need can be very rewarding, but it can also be emotionally and financially draining.

moonmuncher

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1lywp0tm said:
Unfortunately a lot of the dragons listed on Craigslist have been mistreated or just not properly cared for. They tend to be in desperate need of a good home, but often require a lot of care and may wind up with a lot of vet bills. It will be important to invest in high quality lighting and proper diet at a minimum so you'll want to set aside enough money to take care of all of these things if you decide to proceed with adopting him. We can help advise you on proper setup and diet and some basic care. It would also be a good idea to check with vets in your area to find one who is experienced with treating bearded dragons. Rescuing a dragon in need can be very rewarding, but it can also be emotionally and financially draining.

Thank you for this advice it seems he has a basking light but uvb not sure and if so maybe its just not strong enough. But thank you so much for your reply i am saving up currently tho!

i got my beardie with a few missing fingers0 now hes 1 year old and as healthy as can be. Hes very sweet and is constantly doing a shaka. Literally those arre the fingers missing. Im not the best to give advice but please reach out with questions With some love and extra care he will be fine! Be sure to dust his worms with calcium and get a uvb light

moonmuncher

Original Poster
Emsteremme":3ruautyt said:
i got my beardie with a few missing fingers0 now hes 1 year old and as healthy as can be. Hes very sweet and is constantly doing a shaka. Literally those arre the fingers missing. Im not the best to give advice but please reach out with questions With some love and extra care he will be fine! Be sure to dust his worms with calcium and get a uvb light

Yes i will thank you!

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
I hate Craigslist, it's like a museum of all of the worst pet owners out there. I saw a hamster in a critter keeper on there with MOLD, a pregnant horse with her ribs showing, and two adult bearded dragons living in a MOUND of their own poop in a 20 gallon, no lights. Like you couldn't even see into the tank without the owner taking the lid off and pointing a camera down on this obese lizard and scrawny lizard (clearly the subordinate) absolutely caked in ****. I was so mad I wanted to call an air strike on this scumbag's house.

moonmuncher

Original Poster
loljelloclowdz":2lmd59eu said:
I hate Craigslist, it's like a museum of all of the worst pet owners out there. I saw a hamster in a critter keeper on there with MOLD, a pregnant horse with her ribs showing, and a bearded dragon living in a MOUND of their own poop. Like you couldn't even see into the tank without the owner taking the lid off and pointing a camera down on this obese lizard absolutely caked in ****. I was so mad I wanted to call the police and report animal neglect but the police don't care about reptiles as much as they do dogs, horses, and cats.

oh im sorry thats very true but maybe i can rescue one of these guys! i hate craiglist too but when your low finacally like me thats where i end up going :( and maybe its best i literally dont have to spend anything and lose everyhting i would have put beardie,enclosure, food, etc. it would be a good learning process for me a beginner retile keeper im sure.

moonmuncher

Original Poster
update: the post is gone from craigslist jsut says taken down. :( really wanted the little guy but thanks for everyones advice i appreciate it may come handy in future situations with beardies. I hope hes going to a place where he will get asmuch love and attention as i would have given him . again thanks

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I hope he was able to find his way to a good home. In the meantime, I suggest doing lots of reading on here and save up a fund so that when you decide the time is right to take care of a dragon, you'll be ready to go and will be less stressful.

moonmuncher

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2o5hp2rq said:
I hope he was able to find his way to a good home. In the meantime, I suggest doing lots of reading on here and save up a fund so that when you decide the time is right to take care of a dragon, you'll be ready to go and will be less stressful.

i will thank you :D

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
If you don't have lots of money then it's not a good idea to rescue a sick beardie. Vet bills are very expensive and a lot of times I see people on here just kinda letting their sick bearded dragons die because they don't feel like driving to a vet or paying for treatment. You should get a healthy one so you're not stuck paying thousands at the vet.

moonmuncher

Original Poster
loljelloclowdz":zm5ni7mv said:
If you don't have lots of money then it's not a good idea to rescue a sick beardie. Vet bills are very expensive and a lot of times I see people on here just kinda letting their sick bearded dragons die because they don't feel like driving to a vet or paying for treatment. You should get a healthy one so you're not stuck paying thousands at the vet.

right thats why i was hesistant and asking for advice here because 1. im a beginner and2. i do realize vet bills for beardies are a thing.so i wasnt sure if it was agood idea to adopt the little guy. He is in someone elses hands now tho :) hopefully in a good home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom